Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Companion with PTSD? ... He is being a big baby...  (Read 2929 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companion with PTSD? ... He is being a big baby...
« on: March 09, 2015, 03:32:41 pm »

So I have this elf companion and I have to keep reloading the game cause I am experimenting with his odd behavior, every time we see combat they quite literally get down on the ground lays there and refuses to move and his sprite flashes blue exclamation mark over and over, he wont move or do anything, and when I attacked some bandits the first time i noticed it (( didnt keep the save though so its not the persisting issue )) when we attacked the bandits he did the same thing moping around on the floor except when i asked him about how he feels about me, and he said "You are unhinged, you attacked and killed somebody"  but everyone else on my team helped out massacring the bandits.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Companion with PTSD? ... He is being a big baby...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »

Companion AI is kinda messy right now. This guy is, in fact, suffering PTSD from all the violence. The flashing blue exclamation mark means they're overcome by grief or somesuch. I can't remember the exact reason.

If you keep killing people in front of him, his Discipline skill will gradually increase, and he'll stop freaking out all the time.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:51:11 pm »

Companion AI is kinda messy right now. This guy is, in fact, suffering PTSD from all the violence. The flashing blue exclamation mark means they're overcome by grief or somesuch. I can't remember the exact reason.

If you keep killing people in front of him, his Discipline skill will gradually increase, and he'll stop freaking out all the time.
Why is he laying on the floor?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:55:21 pm »

Probably because he's traumatised to the point where he can't act.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:15:59 pm »

Jeez... this guys a whimp, he freaks out over fighting harpies and goes practically catatonic... How long will it take to ware off?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:27:46 pm »

No idea. Like I said, it's dependent on the Discipline skill. You might be able to use DFHack to increase the skill, but you'd have to ask someone else about that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:45:38 pm »

Can also add [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:1] to races in the raws to keep them from doing this if you'd like.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:10:18 pm »

Jeez... this guys a whimp, he freaks out over fighting harpies and goes practically catatonic... How long will it take to ware off?

I did not even know that companions could freak out that bad....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:36:05 pm »

I just freed a bunch of kids from a goblin fort, but I had to go back several times and comfort the ones that were left behind inside. They had gone into a full panic attack when they saw the towering mound of troll corpses in the entrance hall, and I had to talk to them until they snapped out of it.

Oddly enough, the goblin fort was run by two elves! Their profession was "master". One of the kids I rescued was an elf, so I made sure he watched as I strangled them. I noticed his face had a Tear covering afterwards, and I can only assume they were tears of joy.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:15:53 pm »

I just freed a bunch of kids from a goblin fort, but I had to go back several times and comfort the ones that were left behind inside. They had gone into a full panic attack when they saw the towering mound of troll corpses in the entrance hall, and I had to talk to them until they snapped out of it.

Oddly enough, the goblin fort was run by two elves! Their profession was "master". One of the kids I rescued was an elf, so I made sure he watched as I strangled them. I noticed his face had a Tear covering afterwards, and I can only assume they were tears of joy.
I once had a "fat dwarf girl" I recued (yes, it did say something along the lines of her being incredibly fat...). She decided that "EVERY SINGLE GOBLIN HAS TO DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH FOR IMPRISONING HER" ... downside was that she was unarmed and ... obviously just a child - and I lost track of her after she ran off once again. Well, the rescuing ended pretty much just outside of the tower, with some bruised goblins and a dead dwarf child...
I guess she grew up in the prison, never having heard of fear ... or common sense.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:17:58 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 12:00:47 am »

Yeah, they're pretty damn crazy, as I was just saying to a friend I've been helping try to get started at the game, it's not uncommon to find yourself saying things at the screen like:
"FOR GOD'S SAKE STOP BITING THAT ALLIGATOR SNAPPING TURTLE AND RUN!"
"IT'S UNCONSCIOUS, CAN YOU STOP BITING THAT WOLF AND BRAIN IT WHILE I KILL THESE ONES?"
"DEAR GOD WHAT DID THAT POOR ELF DO TO DESERVE THIS?" *said as I'm biting the guts out of a different elf, still horrified by the kids myself*

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 02:02:51 am »

They will also bash down slade doors like it's nobody's business.

The most annoying thing about them is how they gang up on me when I stop moving. Then I fall over, with five kids standing on top of me ("Yaaay! We wanna jump on your belly!"), and my FPS drops to 1-2 while they start discussing rumors as I crawl away.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:06:37 am by Magnus »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 02:08:26 am »

It's baffling too since they stay locked inside happily, then they remember they're kids and are like RAWR, DOORSMASH!

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 02:37:28 am »

I FREAKEN LOVE MY KIDS.
The only companions that I actualy feel sad when they get hurt especialy fataly so.

Makes me fight like a sayian after one dies
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 04:16:57 am »

I freed an entire fort, and am currently schlepping 23 of the little monsters around the world, having already returned 8 of them safely to their families! I thought it would be suicide at first, but they actually managed to hold their own against a pack of dingoes.

Has anyone noticed that some of the kids have truly weird family relationships? One of them claimed to be eleven years old, but also had a nephew that married his cousin over a hundred years ago. Then I reunited them, and...

I bet he plays a mean banjo.
Pages: [1] 2