Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Non-dwarf versions of alcohol dependency and cave adaptation.  (Read 2577 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Right now we have special habits unique for dwarves, which makes sense, being dwarf fortress, but now that you will have other races living in your fort, perhaps they can also get their own thing to differentiate them?

Off the top of my head would be humans having either a mood effect, or something similar to alcohol withdrawal, when they spend too long underground.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Non-dwarf versions of alcohol dependency and cave adaptation.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:56:12 am »

Elves spending too long away from trees (or grassy tiles if that's too difficult to determine.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:13:11 pm »

My human adventurer is alchohol dependant.
I retired her in a fort.
Coincidence? Never
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:37:14 pm »

I don't think this is what you're suggesting, but for what That Wolf said, any creature can become alcohol dependant if they get exposed to enough death and injuries. Specifically that "just doesn't care about anything anymore" that veteran dwarves generally have, once they get to that point even if their species isn't alcohol dependant, they become alcohol dependant.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 02:40:31 am »

I don't think this is what you're suggesting, but for what That Wolf said, any creature can become alcohol dependant if they get exposed to enough death and injuries. Specifically that "just doesn't care about anything anymore" that veteran dwarves generally have, once they get to that point even if their species isn't alcohol dependant, they become alcohol dependant.

I like that "I need a freaking drink" syndrome.

Also [TREE_DEPENDANT] seems promising for elves.

goddosupido

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:38:20 am »

Personal ideas : Most elves should refuse to live underground, or sleep in a stone room. Only the most opposed to traditional ethics and values (some dwarves are like that, right?) could accept this.
Thus if we want elves we will have to keep a secured zone outside.

For humans, I think they could bear living underground but it should strongly reduce their morale. At least until something is done with lights. Enough light should prevent this.

In an other type of ideas, I think elves and dwarves should have different night visions (dwarves would be very efficient at seeing in the dark, allowing mining in completely dark places; elves can only discern shadows and movement much better than humans and dwarves).

Anyway I think it's a good idea to have real differences between races.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:17:51 am »

Personal ideas : Most elves should refuse to live underground, or sleep in a stone room. Only the most opposed to traditional ethics and values (some dwarves are like that, right?) could accept this.
*Builds the elves a nice wooden house.*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 05:42:08 am »

With an extensive magma heating system.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:17:16 pm »

x!!Wooden house!!x

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 03:16:58 am »

x!!Wooden house!!x

Should I blow this burning house down??
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:33:58 pm »

I kind of like the idea of elves refusing to live underground and humans getting reduced moral for living there as well.

When I first saw this though I thought more along the lines of having humans addicted to caffeine(coffee and tea) and goblins addicted to pain(hereBeTvtropes).
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 02:18:02 pm »

Elves could refuse to live in structures, and probably wouldn't even move to you, but if they did they would probably sleep in above ground trees

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »

For humans, I think they could bear living underground but it should strongly reduce their morale. At least until something is done with lights. Enough light should prevent this.

In an other type of ideas, I think elves and dwarves should have different night visions (dwarves would be very efficient at seeing in the dark, allowing mining in completely dark places; elves can only discern shadows and movement much better than humans and dwarves).

Seeing in darkness: dwarves>kobolds>goblins>elves>humans

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 07:26:56 pm »

As it is in-game currently dwarves=kobolds=gremlins=trolls>goblins>humans=elves. I remember one of Threetoe's stories having a plant that kobolds ate that gave them their night vision as well as their glowing eyes. Don't remember which one though. Anyway, I think I like the low light vision as it is, elves have no reason to be good at seeing in low light, while dwarves and kobolds are subterranean creatures, and goblins are kind of subterranean creatures.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 08:12:14 pm »

As it is in-game currently dwarves=kobolds=gremlins=trolls>goblins>humans=elves. I remember one of Threetoe's stories having a plant that kobolds ate that gave them their night vision as well as their glowing eyes. Don't remember which one though. Anyway, I think I like the low light vision as it is, elves have no reason to be good at seeing in low light, while dwarves and kobolds are subterranean creatures, and goblins are kind of subterranean creatures.

I would think there would be different things each vision can make out, rather than a flat, dwarfs see better than elves who see better than humans. I would imagine dwarfs would be great at getting a sense for their surroundings underground, but be unable to make out any details like the engravings on a statue in complete darkness. Where as elves would better at distinguishing movement in the darkness but struggle to actually see anything or know whats around them, this would stem more from their hunter/cat like feel I attribute to them. Kobolds and goblins I am not sure how their dark vision might work, I could possible see koblods having the same general type as dwarfs, able to know whats around them but not to be able to distinguish details. I could also see kobolds having a limited form of extrasense that works off of smell so that they'd be able to tell one another apart in the dark. Goblins I could see them having human or elf types of dark vision but it would be supported by a keen sense of hearing that borders on echolocation, but not quite.

To recap my thoughts I see one type being Aware of your surroundings, such as knowing there is a drop off there and a wall there but not being able to see details or make out important details like is that a dwarf or a goblin. Dwarfs and Kobolds, would make use of this type with the kobolds have the additional ability to distinguish people based on smell.

Another type would be able to notice movement and reliably track it, but otherwise unable to know whats around them in the dark unless there is a light source. I attribute this to the elves given its something anything that hunts at night, but no underground would need.

The last Type I imagine would be used by goblins to make them stand out even more from your typical fantasy goblin, It would be based off a keen sense of hearing that would give a vague idea of surrounds such as distinguishing between a large cavern and a tunnel and being able to track things based off noise. Goblins might also compensate with the elves night-hunter vision that lets them track movement, but that would be redundant to their keen hearing.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.
Pages: [1] 2