Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A question about Candy People reproductive cycle... (read the Poll Info)

Candy People should breed normally
- 4 (40%)
There should be two (male and female) special breeding castes
- 1 (10%)
There should be a special domestic creature. "Birth" of Candy People should be handled through transformations (interactions) in workshops
- 4 (40%)
Candy People should be able breed normally, but also have reactions to make castes ratio more controllable
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: !Fortress Time! with Greed and Hard Work (Adventure Time mod in development)  (Read 3187 times)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile

Well, yeah, exactly what it says on the title.

There are probably one or more Adventure Time mods already, but I honestly don't know about their existence. And don't care. Just wanna my own.

Main Info

Ready-already stuff:

- Most complicated creatures (different abominations, like The Lich, Guardian Angel, Shape-shifter...also, Rainicorns).
- Some magick-like interactions for the guys mentioned above.
- Most civilized creatures, those are not really complicated (Dogs, Goblins, Cardboard Cats, Humanoids, Hyoomans, Gnomes, Martians, Party Bears, Nut People, Why-Wolves...also, Rainicorns)
- Not actually civilized creatures, though not actually wild (Nymphs, Penguins, Bikini Babes, Tree People)
- Armor and clothes. And shields. Still need some work on them though.
- Weapons. A lot. Currently balancing.
- Lots of all those boring materials. Mostly for creatures.
- Some small balancing tweaks. Work in progress, actually. And all thanks to Deon. Thanks, Deon.

Planned features:

- Slow development.
- Adding every single Adventure Time creature, living or not.
- Making every conventionaly civilized creature an entity.
- Making most of the entities playable.
- Distinctively different gameplay for different races. Somewhat limited by the canon though. Or not.
- Horrifyingly bad english of the author.
- Magick and all the other fun stuff with interactions.
- Balanced weapons and armor. Also, ALL the weapons and armor featured in the show.
- New materials. Damn lots of them.
- Maybe some Adventure Mode tweaks. It is Adventure Time after all.
- FUN. There are loads of it in the show, so I totally want to add it in the mod.
- Species cross-breeding Don't bother ask.
- Back to the entities, the feel of the progress. The actual existence of the late game. You know, like in Masterwork. Thanks, Meph.
- Maybe something else. I'm opened for suggestions.
- Polls. There are lots of questionable moments in the canon and all. I think the answers should be chosen by the people who would actually play.
- Very slow development.

Poll Info

As I mentioned above, there are lots of questionable moments in the canon and all. Some are more questionable than others, so I decided to write a wider explanation to every or almost every poll. The polls is actually the reason why this thread even exist.

On the current poll:
1) In the show, Princess Bubblegum states that she is the mother of all candy people several times. However, this statement doesn't completely deny the possibility of candy people natural breeding. Also, in some episodes it is shown that candy people have different kinds of relatives (not just brothers and sisters). "Hug Wolf" is the most notable example.
2) In the show-based game "Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW!" it is revealed that Bubblegum origined from a giantic immobile pile of living candy mass. Other candy people could have too, but...
3) ...it was shown that at least her first creations were just shaped from candy mass and THEN brought up to life. Not if it denies the possibility of previous variant though.

The first variant will result in uncontrollable castes ratio, which can be essential, counting how many castes candy people are supposed to have.
The third implements that candy people won't appear during world-gen, however, can be used to add some interesting outcomes of mentioned transformations. Castes ratio will be fully controllable, indeed.
The second, in fact, can receive some of the third's features, but not all of them. Allows castes ratio to be mostly controllable, for example.

Previous polls results:
- Humans can have or lack nose with an equal chance. (The) Humanoids can have nose with a small chance. Other human-like creatures don't have nose at all.
- Rainicorns have body lenght vary in large ranges, but have fixed body size.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:56:25 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

What time is it?

*burns to death due to it being magma time!*

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

This is a cool idea.  I don't think it's even been done before.

I'm a little surprised you didn't start with the major entities, like candy people and fire elementals.  Candy people should have a whole bunch of castes for each kind of candy perhaps with different stats.  I also suggest making fire elementals not actually made of fire, since this would make them too fragile.  They should have a high temperature and be able to throw fire, but also be very prone to anger making them tantrum easily. Playing as them in either fort or adventure would be fun!

Instead of making every race playable (as there are a lot of them) , maybe start with the major races before doing things like cardboard cats.  The ones who had gem crowns could be considered in a higher position... You can limit minor races while still letting them appear by capping their maximum populations at a small number.

I recall an episode that suggested the four elements in the ATverse are fire, ice, candy, and slime.  Might be a good place to start...

Are you using dfhack?  If so, you can make artifact ice crowns.  If not, an ice secret should suffice.  You can allow them to animate the dead as penguins to let them make penguin minions and towers in worldgen.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a little surprised you didn't start with the major entities, like candy people and fire elementals.  Candy people should have a whole bunch of castes for each kind of candy perhaps with different stats.  I also suggest making fire elementals not actually made of fire, since this would make them too fragile.  They should have a high temperature and be able to throw fire, but also be very prone to anger making them tantrum easily. Playing as them in either fort or adventure would be fun!
Candy People and Fire Elementals are in progress, they need lots of materials. Lemon People go there too. After the materials are done, castes wouldn't be a problem.

The Fire Elementals were planned to be magma-dependant and having isolated playstyle. Their bodies also need some new materials indeed, and I guess obsidian would be involved. What's about their temperament, I thinks it would be either royal caste specific or not implemented at all. Because the regular fire elementals seem to have fairly good personalities in the show.

Instead of making every race playable (as there are a lot of them) , maybe start with the major races before doing things like cardboard cats.  The ones who had gem crowns could be considered in a higher position... You can limit minor races while still letting them appear by capping their maximum populations at a small number.
Entities are not even in progress yet, just creatures. Cardboard cats were good thing to start working with materials and tissues, due to them being actually normal cats with a cardoard outer layer. Pure simplicity.

And I think the first playable race would be Goblins. Crafty, nervous, overwhelmed by stupid laws. Just like vanilla dwarves.

And yeah, not all the entities will be playable anyway. Some of the civilized creatures in AT are obvious fillers (like those villagers in "Gut Grinder"). And multiple humanoid entities were planned to be more of constant enemies for the player.

Are you using dfhack?  If so, you can make artifact ice crowns.  If not, an ice secret should suffice.  You can allow them to animate the dead as penguins to let them make penguin minions and towers in worldgen.
No, or not yet. I know clearly nothing about how DFhack works.
Also, not yet sure should the "Secret of Ice and Snow" exist. I just think that adding something like that would be unpersonification of the unique character (that I'm trying to avoid everywhere it's possible). There were a penguin entity planned, but, again, not yeat sure about all of this.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:44:01 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

It's been done, to an extent, in git repositories with very little content on my old computer, lost to the ages, forever and ever.

Now you're doing it so I don't have to bother, YEHEE

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Make a secret of ice and snow and remove the mundane learning possible I think?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make a secret of ice and snow and remove the mundane learning possible I think?
Maaaybe. As i said, not yet sure.
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poll is updated.
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poll is updated once again. This gonna get repetitive...
DF Combat Reworked

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

It should be noted that if candy people require reactions to transform into their different types, these different types will not show up in Adventure mode.  Accurate or not, it would be kind of a disappointment to visit a candy kingdom as an adventurer and find it all generic...

I suggest using several options: Allow the fast creation of large numbers of candy people through reactions/domestic creatures, but also allow them to breed normally.  We don't know that they can't reproduce on their own, after all, even if the originals were created in a lab.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It should be noted that if candy people require reactions to transform into their different types, these different types will not show up in Adventure mode.
If you talking about variant 2, they will show up. There will be only two breeding castes, other castes just won't be able to reproduce, but nothing else would be wrong with them.
If it's about variant 3, then candy people won't appear during world-gen at all. The player's fort will be the only place they can exist.

I suggest using several options: Allow the fast creation of large numbers of candy people through reactions/domestic creatures, but also allow them to breed normally.  We don't know that they can't reproduce on their own, after all, even if the originals were created in a lab.
Well, that's the variant 2, with some changes though... I'll add it to the poll.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:13:21 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

This sounds like fun.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!