Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 159531 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Overwatch
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:11:18 pm »

Behold!

Overwatch is a multiplayer first person shooter developed by Blizzard. Set in an alternate future world several years after the end of a global conflict between menn and machines, the remaining mercenaries of the international organization Overwatch duke it out over the world's dwindling gravel pit reserves on behalf of mysterious benefactors. The game emphasizes individual classes filling different roles, with a variety of unique special abilities and weapons to each class.

List of Bay12 battletags (maintained by MaximumZero)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:21:20 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Team Fortresscraft 3
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:15:41 pm »

Not to shoot you down, but they invited a bunch of prominent TF2 players/Youtubers to the Overwatch headquarters a week or so ago, and the response from the three that I've seen has been 'it's a class-based shooter, yeah, but it's not the same game by a long shot'.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:56:25 pm »

I'm really really really really hoping its not Pay to Win...  If its not, this is probably going to consume a large portion of my life.

Some great coverage is done by OneAmongstMany.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:00:00 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:30:52 am »

It basically looks like a first-person MOBA, really. Sort of diminishes my interest in it :P

My main concern is that, from the footage I have seen, gameplay is a bit like team deathmatch in CoD. That's something which isn't very conductive to teamwork, so I hope there will be proper objectives.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:05:21 am »

It basically looks like a first-person MOBA, really. Sort of diminishes my interest in it :P

My main concern is that, from the footage I have seen, gameplay is a bit like team deathmatch in CoD. That's something which isn't very conductive to teamwork, so I hope there will be proper objectives.
When it was first announced (was it at blizzcon? I don't remember at this point) there was a showmatch played, including some shoutcasting. It was a payload game as well, so there's a lot of playing the objective.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:35:47 am »

Oh, alright then.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:52:18 am »

I'm really looking forward to playing as Pharah and Symmetra.

Pharah I like because it probably suits my play-style the best.  I've always liked using rockets in games, and being able to jetpack straight up into the air will definitely be useful.

Symmetra seems to have it all.  Teleporters are great, mini slowing-sentries will be handy, shielding allies will be valuable.  I suspect she'll be pretty good in combat too.  She doesn't have a lot of health, but her charge shot goes through shields and enemies, meaning she could potentially kill an entrenched Bastion or shielded Reinhardt (and the people hiding behind them) a lot easier than other characters.

I think Winston might be fun too, just because he's a tank that actually has mobility.

The characters I'm not as interested in are:

Torbjorn:  He just looks boring.  Trying to keep a sentry up isn't really my cup of tea.
Widowmaker:  I'm a terrible sniper, and don't particularly like being sniped.  Probably will barely touch her.
Reinhardt:  He's powerful, but he has almost no ranged attacks, and no mobility skills to get enemies above him. 
Bastion:  He's good(and basically a transformer, which is awesome), but I don't think I'd be good and choosing places(and times) to entrench at.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 11:24:04 am »

I'm really looking forward to playing as Pharah and Symmetra.
The hell? You've got the same two characters I want to try out the most.

Pharah because I used to play tribes obsessively. Symmetra because I love playing engineer. No Torbjorn doesn't quite count because he has just one little thing. Admittedly symmetra just has two little things, but that's good enough for me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:09:55 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 11:34:48 am »

You've got good taste is all.   :P  Yeah, Symmetra's sentries are more my style.  Sort of a "place and forget" thing. :)  Also I think she gets 3 or 6 of them.  I can't remember which.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 03:29:51 pm »

Not to shoot you down, but they invited a bunch of prominent TF2 players/Youtubers to the Overwatch headquarters a week or so ago, and the response from the three that I've seen has been 'it's a class-based shooter, yeah, but it's not the same game by a long shot'.

Yeah, I saw some of their impressions as well (before making this thread), the TF2 allusions are mostly a joke. I'm sure Overwatch will play very differently from TF2, but you have to keep in mind that in the context of the game having so many obvious similarities, just being able to come back and say it isn't a strict clone was news. It's not just this particular sub-genre being barren and the superficial similarities, since everything I've heard about Overwatch so far indicates that it was made with TF2 in mind and in many ways as a starting point.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:10:25 am by UrbanGiraffe »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 02:35:19 pm »

A new character has been announced, Soldier 76:

http://eu.battle.net/overwatch/en/heroes/soldier-76/

Videos (I haven't watched these yet, because I'm at work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UapMoRc6Xu8 (Reveal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_0eqEbG7yA (Abilities)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhvUmpAA9c (Origin Story)

He seems to be a good all-rounder.  Has a AOE Heal, semi-automatic pulse rifle, shoots rockets and can sprint!  His ultimate gives him auto-aim for a few seconds.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 03:27:53 am »

He seems like a good offensive midfielder, the only other one really had was McCree and he's mostly a primary duelist.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 09:40:00 am »

Another character announced.

Lucio!  He's a bard-type character that can rollerblade on walls.  What more does a person need.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Intro

Abilities

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 10:10:51 am »

Tbh that looks like a lame character from a lame kid's show.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 11:29:08 am »

Tbh that looks like a lame character from a lame kid's show.
He looks like a Range class Criminal type Pokemon.

But seriously that's the entire game aesthetic if you haven't noticed by now.
The entire place looks like that animated star wars: Clone Wars series.
IE: A lame kids show.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 107