Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 160457 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Team Fortresscraft 3
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 11:29:41 am »

Heard about this but hadn't watched anything yet. It looks kinda promising.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Dora the Exploder
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 02:42:59 pm »

A few new heroes have been announced.  Junkrat and Roadhog, two crazed career criminals.

Background Teaser

Intro Video

Roadhog Info Page

Junkrat Info Page

Both look pretty fun.  Junkrat is pretty much the demoman from TF2 with a few extra tricks, and Roadhog is a massive guy with a  chain/hook and gun that shoots scrap.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:45:41 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 03:06:18 pm »

Tbh I'm hoping this fails competitively, because if it does, rumor has it Epsilon will reform and Europe might have a chance to beat Froyotech at i58 :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »

It won't fail.  It's Blizzard taking a known formula and putting their spin on it.  They've been doing that for years.
Shoes...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 03:55:25 pm »

I'm not sure that Heroes of the Storm is doing so well, but I could be wrong.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 04:32:33 pm »

Hence why I used the word competitively.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »

I'm getting pretty hyped for this game.  It seems like pretty much everything I could want from a shooter.  The only thing that could ruin it would be a god-awful payment model, but its sounding like they won't make locked purchasable characters.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 07:36:42 pm »

Pfft, new classes. What good are dozens of unique classes if you don't have an appropriate variety of hats to go with them?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:52 pm »

THE DEVS SAW FURY ROAD

NEXT UPDATE CONFIRMED EACH CHARACTER GETS A THEMED CAR
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 07:59:25 pm »

It won't fail.  It's Blizzard taking a known formula and putting their spin on it.  They've been doing that for years.

There's a good shot it will succeed, but it's not a sure bet at all. They couldn't build a top MOBA based on the Blizzard brand alone, and they're not going to be able to build a competitive shooter based on the brand alone either. They will have to work for it and get humble; they can no longer get away with any of their old tricks.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 08:49:58 pm »

Hmm, Roadhog's hook is the.. Second one in a FPS environment that I know of, I remember Assault from Super Monday Night Combat had one, and he was awesome.

Though the new characters certainly set a nice new tone.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »

I was getting worried we'd have an awkward roster with the two villains from the reveal trailer and all of the rest being heroic or well-intentioned neutral types.  Glad we're finally seeing some more supervillains to go with our superheroes.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 02:00:38 am »

There's a good shot it will succeed, but it's not a sure bet at all. They couldn't build a top MOBA based on the Blizzard brand alone, and they're not going to be able to build a competitive shooter based on the brand alone either. They will have to work for it and get humble; they can no longer get away with any of their old tricks.
And remember that Valve has become quite a big brand too. The MOBA market seems to be starting to get a bit saturated, even.

I do admit the game looks pretty cool, though. I just want somebody to kick Froyotech's ass :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 07:44:32 am »

And remember that Valve has become quite a big brand too. The MOBA market seems to be starting to get a bit saturated, even.

Not really. Given that the vast majority of MOBAs are the exact same game slightly altered to look different... League of Legends and DOTA for example have the exact same map and share several of the exact same characters with slightly altered appearances... and several of the exact same items.

I think the only major difference between them MIGHT be that League of Legends lacks a secret shop... but honestly I can't remember.

Yeah MOBAs are the more creatively bankrupt sub-genre in existence... Even Doom-clones innovated more then they do.

So now you just have MOBAs that aren't the same MOBA... of which you can immediately remove the bad ones and what are you left with? Heroes of the Storm and Smite.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:46:53 am by Neonivek »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 09:51:32 am »

Overwatch isn't a MOBA.  Its an FPS.

The heart of what makes a MOBA is a competitive RPG.  You're gathering gear and leveling up your character, but instead of doing it in a 60 hour SP game you're doing it in a 1/2-1 hour MP game and you're racing your opponents to become more powerful faster.

In Overwatch there is essentially zero progression within each Overwatch match.  Barring temporary buffs, your Tracer hits exactly as hard, moves exactly as fast, and has exactly as much max health at the start and finish of a round.  The main things Overwatch took from the MOBA genre are the characters-as-classes and the four abilities mapped to different keys.  Which, while they have been copied endlessly, are not essential to the gameplay of MOBAs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107