Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 160774 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1455 on: July 19, 2017, 05:11:46 pm »

I think Bastion is pretty much exactly where he was before - a character who can be strong at lower levels with the right support due to his massive damage output, but who gets ripped apart by a well-coordinated team who can exploit his lack of mobility and work together to nullify his damage while they kill him.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 19, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »

actually thinking about it, katya volskaya is making deals with the omnics, maybe we are gonna get an evil omnic hero? that would be kinda cool.

call me psychic if this turns out true, but evidence is thickening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBQMOcTl24

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 19, 2017, 10:20:13 pm »

I think Bastion is pretty much exactly where he was before - a character who can be strong at lower levels with the right support due to his massive damage output, but who gets ripped apart by a well-coordinated team who can exploit his lack of mobility and work together to nullify his damage while they kill him.

Pretty much.  He's the heavy from TF2, with the same benefits and the very same shortcomings.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 19, 2017, 10:57:19 pm »

Yeah, I don't think bastion is good but it doesn't make it not frustrating to fight him.  Feels like the amount of effort is really disproportionate.  He just sits there and holds the mouse down while you have zero margin for error even with a counter.

At 2/4 in comp.  We'll see hwo things go but so far it's pretty frustrating.  Lots of doing everything I can, feeling like I'm doing good, and watching my team fight outside the point.  Winning a hard-fought first round on egypt defense and then losing the whole thing because we went fucking bastion and orisa on offense and turtled in the archway the whole match, never even tried to take the objective.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 19, 2017, 11:23:42 pm »

My advice for comp is to get your placement matches over with and don't worry about it.  That little graphic at the end stresses everyone out.  The placements don't actually count for much and once they're over things'll get more chill.  You'll either fall into a rhythm of playing games often and not stressing out about it and you'll have fun, or you won't.  Related, I would advise that if you ever lose 3 games in a row you calmly and collectedly stop playing.  You're not going to win any more and its not going to get any less frustrating.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 19, 2017, 11:34:03 pm »

Related, I would advise that if you ever lose 3 games in a row you calmly and collectedly stop playing.  You're not going to win any more and its not going to get any less frustrating.
Eh, that depends on how well you can handle tilt. There are certainly people who can take a few losses and keep motivated. Just know your own limits.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Pajama Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Easy to Please
    • View Profile
    • Pajama Knight's Blog
« Reply #1461 on: July 20, 2017, 09:24:17 am »

Best case scenario you become a masochist and start to enjoy losing 8+ games in a row.
Providing an opinion on things in desperate need of an opinion since 1989.

Pajama Knight's Blog - Videos, Games, and Musings

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 20, 2017, 01:22:47 pm »

Worst case scenario is you hit your season high in the mid 2600s then get steady losses through a combo of your normal close-but-bitter losses and as I got deeper and deeper back into gold, people who just don't play.

I'm at around 2200 now. I keep playing only because I don't want to start next season so low if they wind up basing your general placement off of where you ended up for the last season.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »

Got in a groove today and ended provisionls at 1899 silver.  Better than I expected, mostly happy with it.  Well not satisfied, but encouraged.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 22, 2017, 11:58:19 am »

Just got four gold medals in a game, found out I don't like being the best.  I would rather be good in a good team than the best in a shit team.  Had to watch as they just fucking stand there and let the payload float onto the point unopposed.

Oh well.  I just need to remember that if I can play like that consistently I'll win more than I lose.

On that note, checked my masteroverwatch and I'm in the top 10% for objective time on all of the heroes I like to play.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:02:20 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 22, 2017, 12:03:46 pm »

Hehe, I always have awful accuracy.

Because I play projectile heroes and spam corners.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 22, 2017, 12:18:06 pm »

Just got four gold medals in a game, found out I don't like being the best.  I would rather be good in a good team than the best in a shit team.  Had to watch as they just fucking stand there and let the payload float onto the point unopposed.

Oh well.  I just need to remember that if I can play like that consistently I'll win more than I lose.

On that note, checked my masteroverwatch and I'm in the top 10% for objective time on all of the heroes I like to play.
After playing competitive for a bit I feel like the games where I get a lot of gold medals are always the game with shitty teammates.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 22, 2017, 01:25:18 pm »

Overwatch doesn't have that much carry potential.  From what I've heard (I don't watch much OW, I prefer playing it) top 500 players that do bronze-to-grandmaster challenges start losing games around platinum/diamond.  That is most definitely not true of other eSport games.  So yeah, if you get all golds that probably means multiple someones fucked up.  It shouldn't be possible at any level of play if everyone is roughly the same skill and every is trying to win.

Edit: also, top post on the Overwatch Reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCcZbRz7K_o
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:28:08 pm by EnigmaticHat »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 22, 2017, 02:06:37 pm »

Probably why this game is so uniquely frustrating.  In league if I'm better than the other players I can consistently win.  in overwatch it doesn't matter how much ass I'm kicking, if my team isn't on the point I lose.
Shoes...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 23, 2017, 04:06:59 am »

Probably why this game is so uniquely frustrating.  In league if I'm better than the other players I can consistently win.  in overwatch it doesn't matter how much ass I'm kicking, if my team isn't on the point I lose.

From what I've heard this is a problem with Blizzard in general; HOTS apparently has the same problem where carrying is extremely difficult to impossible
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 107