Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1x1 bedroom is enough?  (Read 3770 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: 1x1 bedroom is enough?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:51 pm »

you guys are too generous. I don't designate bedrooms. It's too much of a hassle and dwarves should learn to share.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 11:03:03 pm »

I never designated bedrooms for a long time, but it really helps on keeping down clutter once clothing starts to wear, as dwarves store their belongings there.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 04:12:46 am »

Yes, you can cram an engraved room full of beds amd make each one its own maxsize bedroom... but that's just not fun for RP. If I want my dwarves to get royal bedroom happiness boosters, I challenge myself t give them royal bedrooms. It does cost a lot more in platinum than the more exploity route though. Basically if I were doing a megaproject or utility fort of some kind I would do the communal "bedrooms," but for proper fort forts it seems wrong.
You can do it with their own mostly separate areas as well, the screenshot I showed above could probably hold like a thousand dorfs happily but it only has 100 because of how I like spacing them out around the magma pass-through tunnels and engraved open air cisterns which serve as the distribution surface for the exits of the magma pumpstacks.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 04:45:09 am »

you guys are too generous. I don't designate bedrooms. It's too much of a hassle and dwarves should learn to share.

Dwarfs _can_ share and still have their own bedroom. Just make a large hall, fill it with beds, assign each as bedroom (expand to encompass the whole room if you want). Everybody's happy. It's basically a communal dormitory, each user just has their own reserved bunk.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 10:41:48 am »

Well you can make them sleep like monkeys.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 12:09:45 pm »

My mouse was hovering over "report to moderator" for a while there. How could you post such an offensive picture? Get those hippies out of here!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 01:54:16 pm »

My mouse was hovering over "report to moderator" for a while there. How could you post such an offensive picture? Get those hippies out of here!
...wasn't till that comment that I realised those must be trees...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 02:07:50 pm »

While it is a hassle, it can have its advantages, if you put some planning into it.

In my latest fort, I made workshop rooms and assigned them by labor cross reference. My most important workshop operators get huge rooms so they're hilariously happy, they only have a couple tiles to get to each workshop to do whatever I need, and with stockpiles set across the halls from them, they barely have to move to do a full days work. I've never had work orders fulfilled so quickly.

Heck, I'm thinking of making single tile booze / food stockpiles in their rooms so they never move more than a dozen tiles.

The micromanagement overhead is a little painful, I will admit.
Pages: 1 [2]