Is this poll terrible

yes
- 0 (0%)
totally
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 20, 2015, 08:45:24 pm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2) Preparing the reboot...  (Read 32490 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2)
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2015, 03:29:21 pm »

Summer brings good things. The work has been completed on the southern outpost. Now it is fully roofed and enclosed, and fortifications have been carved on the second level. I have also set our glass smiths to work producing green glass serrated discs. Not only shall this improve their abilities for statue work, but also for the making of windows to improve the uppermost levels of our great fortress.

More so, we have located some limonite in the cliffside and a surveying team managed to locate the vein from the inside of the cliffs. I am considering the idea that perhaps we should inhabit more than just the tops of the cliffs surrounding the falls. Perhaps a singular achievement of dwarven engineering to ensure that all who come know that we are truly without equal in our conquering of nature. A great spire running from the surface of the falls to the top. One with no purpose to it but decoration. Indeed, it would be a monument without equal if we were to construct it from the clearest glass our glass workers can manage.

The mind boggles at the potential for awe in our allies and enemies. And perhaps we can turn it into a laser drill. After all, doesn't that scream evil lair?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2015, 11:21:50 pm »

The mind boggles at the potential for awe in our allies and enemies. And perhaps we can turn it into a laser drill. After all, doesn't that scream evil lair?

I dunno. The clifftop fortress and having our minions continually falling off tall things for no apparent reason was doing that job pretty well.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:11 am »

To be fair, having a flooding hospital and a cliff that claims lives at random doesn't scream evil lair so much as simply ''poor real estate''.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2015, 11:18:02 pm »

To be fair, having a flooding hospital and a cliff that claims lives at random doesn't scream evil lair so much as simply ''poor real estate''.

It's self-cleaning.*

The fact that the flooding system is defective, on the other hand......that is poor real estate.

*The hospital. Not the waterfall. Although the blood does wash away over time, we'd need a corpse disposal system at the bottom for it to be self-cleaning. Might be a good idea as well to reduce ghost numbers.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2015, 08:28:27 pm »

Ah, I see what you mean. I'll fix it. Piece of cake. Speaking of, what a difference a couple of cores and 14GB of RAM makes. :D 10 FPS, that's what.

---

With the big project complete, I decide to have a look at the flooding system for the hospital. It seems strange that there's a place for it to backflow. Not to mention that it can backflow into our water supply.

What I'm going to do, is pressurize it with a pump, and pump it across the chasm into a drying room. The water will gush into the room, wash away all infections, and probably the infected, then sweep them through the channel into a massive drying room across the way.

Annoying thing, DF Hack's Planning mode doesn't work for making levers.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2015, 02:01:43 am »

Yeah, I'm sort of really not good with hydraulics in DF, so I made it as simple as possible. Pressurising it should work nicely.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2015, 06:30:50 pm »

DF Hydraulics are gravity basic. The best thing would have been to dig to the corner, channel down, and let the water flush down a level to prevent back flow. No worries, I've got it in hand.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2015, 07:48:10 pm »

It's been a while since you started (3+ weeks). Not to pressure you or anything, but do you think you'll be able to finish the turn soon?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2015, 06:47:06 am »

Yeah, I will, it's just taken a little longer to get everything going than expected. Maybe the end of the week. I know that it's been about a month, but now that I can play at a relatively good speed, it should get better. I'll play a lot tonight and tomorrow and see if I can finish.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2015, 04:33:19 pm »

Reconfiguration of the flooding system has been completed. The pump has been placed down, and is set up so that upon activation of the lever, will either flood the hospital, or pump water into the tube, priming the system. This allows a dual safety system.

I've also configured the lower left mason's workshop to produce only Bauxite items, such as blocks. These fit particularly well with our fortress sand layers, so having them en-masse is nice. Not Gneiss mind, but enjoyable. As well as aesthetically pleasing.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:26 am »

The Dwarven Caravan has arrived. This was surprising, because no one told me it was autumn. I am less than amused.

No matter, we got some leather, some cloth, a few bags of Pig tail seeds, some booze, and a fair amount of iron and steel bars. In return, we asked for a large selection of items, but only suggested what it was, instead of demanding. I am wise to the ways of greedy merchants. In return they want Splints, Meat and Windows. We can handle that. I ordered thirty green glass windows, and thirty splints. Gnott looked at me like I'd lost my mind, but shrugged and made a note.

I leave the acquisition of meat to my successor, whomever that maybe. Also, the mayors complaints about his room quality have been solved by replacing his cabinet with Fokeravan, The Slippery Lyrics, which is a bauxite cabinet.

Now I've been told that a miller has just been taken by a Fey mood. That's interesting. I'm pretty sure miller isn't a moodable skill. Which is kind of annoying.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2015, 09:09:13 am »

As expected, our miller has taken a Craftsdwarf workshop. It's one down by the magma smelters, which seems silly, but eh. Speaking of, I've put a small pair of stockpiles down there, with food and booze, and I've ordered a small dining room dug out. That should make it easier for things to be forged, since they won't have to run all the way up stairs to eat and drink. After a few minutes, I also ordered a Dormitory dug and built. And then had both smoothed. Just because they're working deep in the dank underground, doesn't mean they shouldn't have a nice place to sleep and eat while they work.

Our miller has begun work on his construction. Etestrimad, The Dutiful Tactics, a limonite figurine of Lelgo Catchjewels. That's the new artifact. And our new stone mason is legendary. Excellent. I've also thrown down a second plain glass furnace to ensure we always have some sand being gathered.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2015, 07:24:17 pm »

Winter has Come. Which is fine. I've accomplished all my goals. The southern outpost is complete, and prepared for any event. The flushing system for the hospital has not only been modified to ensure that there's no possibility of backflow, but also so that the flushed water will spread out into a drying area. As long as the area is not filled with more water than from the pump to the flood gate, it should work.

More, I have prepared us to get the maximum amount of return from next years trade caravan, provided we remember to trade the correct items. I've left a note to the north west of the trade depot.

In the last month or so, I start some exploratory diggings, using my patented 'Dig an enormous area and hope you hit something' method. It turns up a few bits, but not much that we didn't already know was there. I always like to leave the place a little better than I found it, and there's no better way to do that than to find more ore. Plus there's a lot of microcline available, and I love that rock for some reason.

It seems that the last month of my tenure will be nice and quiet. I like that.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2015, 08:33:46 pm »

Right, so the game crashes when I try to roll over into the new year. This is supremely annoying. I'm not sure why, but the yearly auto-save seems to have something to do with it. If it does it again, I'll post as close to the end of the year as I can, and hopefully someone else can play through it.

Okay, I'm not sure what the problem is, but if I try to save anywhere past this point, the game crashes. If it won't work for the next person, I suggest just dumping my turn entirely. http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10970
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:01:15 pm by Triaxx2 »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2015, 09:05:47 am »

Thanks for the heads up Triaxx2, I have downloaded the save and will try running it through the end of year to see if the corruption problem persists on my side. And if it does, I will see if I can try to pinpoint the problem and try to salvage it.

EDIT: Ran the save through winter without really doing anything. The game managed to autosave itself on 1st Granite without any trouble. Only notable difference was that I disabled the stockflow and workflow plug-ins since I saw no point in producing that many goods. (Stockflow gave me no end of trouble by re-enabling the jobs despite turning the plug-in off on DFHack. Was able to finally disable it by manually unsuspending and then cancelling each job.) I also butchered a whole bunch of animals if that somehow made a difference.

Perhaps you might want to try the aforementioned method and see if it enables you to autosave on the beginning of the new year. I don't mind waiting a bit. If not I can probably continue on from the save you posted.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:34:03 am by Zuglarkun »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22