Is this poll terrible

yes
- 0 (0%)
totally
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 20, 2015, 08:45:24 pm

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2) Preparing the reboot...  (Read 32434 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2)
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2015, 03:00:39 am »

I think I've isolated the problem with the slow rate of magma flow.

I played ahead a little with the save, the magma did not regenerate. So I did a search over the internet, and found that the likely cause was that the area the magma cistern draws its magma from did not touch the maps edge. (The maps edge tiles regenerate magma but the magma flow tile seemingly doesn't, maybe it should be on the same level, not on the level below like I constructed it. The wiki is not very clear on this point.)
To correct this, you'll need to execute "Plan B", but also you'll need to connect the area that "Plan B" reveals to another area on the left which touches the maps edge.

Here, pictures. Cause its words can be confusing.

Dig like so and channel down where one edge of the magma pool is close by to the other to connect them. Channeling down the first time will reveal where else you need to channel.

the lower left corner of the magma connects to the maps edge, which I'm pretty sure regenerates the magma.

I WILL NOT LET MY EFFORTS GO TO WASTE. WE MUST HAVE MAGMA.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »

Edit: Indexing continues. The 4th year by Urist McKiwi has been correctly linked, and some noteworthy quotes added to the OP. You may have noticed that we have like 9 parts for each turns, maybe let,s try to keep that down a bit and edit our posts.

Never! This is nothing next to Moltenchannels! :P

But yeah, this was a cool turn. More paving is always nice.

EDIT: I'm surprised you didn't go for the "I have no idea" lever labels. :P
EDIT2: And 'killing moltenchannels' was quite a serious engineering project for a beginner. That self-destruct system was really badly damaged.
The unlabelled levers thing is on-par with any succession games. Also I may have missed it. As for the Moltenchannels quote, I dont doubt the greatness of this deed, I'm merely using the quote for the out-of-context sheer hilarity it wields. ''hey guys, ive got two engineering projects under my belt. One of them is blowing up my own fortress!''

the lower left corner of the magma connects to the maps edge, which I'm pretty sure regenerates the magma.

I WILL NOT LET MY EFFORTS GO TO WASTE. WE MUST HAVE MAGMA.
Indeed we must. I'm sure the future overseers will be eager to finish the project promptly get confused by the fortress and die to new mysterious opponents!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

Ok, it's been forever days. FearfulJesuit is definitely up next. Sorry for the delay.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2015, 11:07:18 pm »

Heya. Luckily I've got a day off tomorrow, and possibly Friday too, so I'll try and get through at least the end of Summer tomorrow (we'll see how quickly it runs on my machine).

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2015, 12:16:40 pm »

Save is still crashing my DF install, so I'll just follow along.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2015, 01:28:50 pm »

Save is still crashing my DF install, so I'll just follow along.

That's odd, I thought I mostly eliminated the risk of autosave crashing, though honestly I wouldn't be surprised. Loading the save file does take up a HUGE chunk of memory on my laptop for some odd reason, and it takes an awfully long time to load. Well, compared to my own save games anyway. Might be because of the embark size and population.

Let's see... the damn dwarf fortress process takes up around 1,800,000 k memory on my system (as reported by windows task manager) Yikes!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2015, 03:38:49 am »

FearfulJesuit, we haven't heard from you in ten days. I shall thus assume that you died, unless you manifest yourself here...

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2015, 05:55:37 am »

After twelve days of silence, I must declare FearfulJesuit missing as far as overseeing is concerned. Tonnot98 is next in line for overseer, and has been Pm'd accordingly.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2015, 06:37:33 am »

At this rate if the savefile doesn't collapse entirely then I'm actually gonna have a turn this year. ^_^

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2015, 08:05:00 am »

At this rate if the savefile doesn't collapse entirely then I'm actually gonna have a turn this year. ^_^
Only three more skips! Hang in there.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:12 am »

Oh no, the overseers are beginning to drop like dead flies.  :(

Well, can't be helped. Also, sign me up for another turn at the end of the list. Thanks!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2015, 09:41:33 am »

Well, can't be helped. Also, sign me up for another turn at the end of the list. Thanks!
same for me pls
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2015, 07:00:58 pm »

Only three more skips! Hang in there.

If you skip yourself, we're gonna have some issues. :P

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2015, 09:44:16 pm »

When my turn comes and I disappear, please wait three weeks then grab the save.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2015, 06:28:32 pm »

same for me pls
Zuglarkun was re-added. Gwolfski, you're... already on the turn list. So you were not added twice.

Tomorrow morning will mark the end of the 72 hours period for Tonnot to reply. I've PM'd Pearofclubs already, and we are waiting for a reply from him. If we haven't heard from Pearofclubs by friday, I'll just grab the save and begin my turn, since that's actually my day off.

EDIT: Aaaaand here I go. First priority will be to follow the instructions and activate ''plan B''. I'm very unknowledgeable about magma and mechanics in general so i feel going into a magma pumpstack without instructions will be disastrous, but there are two things I can begin work on:
1=Preparing all the required pieces. that means mining, smelting, and forging of required gears and parts. Obviously everything should be magma-safe, and some magma-safe blocks and rocks should be made too.
2=Digging a giant ditch outside. Whatever we do, we at least need to fill the surrounding area around the walls with a fuckton of magma. Thats gonna require a lot of digging and optionally smoothing. I'm seriously not sure how we'll deal with the river AND the ravine. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:55:52 pm by Taupe »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22