Is this poll terrible

yes
- 0 (0%)
totally
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 20, 2015, 08:45:24 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2) Preparing the reboot...  (Read 32406 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2)
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 11:59:29 am »

Do I have a dwarf yet?

If not, name one "Rigel"
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 09:57:19 pm »

Do I have a dwarf yet?

If not, name one "Rigel"

Done. You're a carpenter.

Made it to early winter, should finish today or tomorrow (sorry for delay. Moved home for the mid-semester break). I've started our very own little hospital, and I'm working to rebuild our fuel stocks....from scratch. Fortunately we have lots of coal to work with.

After that, I'll try to get some boxes for the hospital, and a chain so we can have a traction bench for it. I've almost finished the (very basic) flooding mechanism. It might not work properly, but that can be reworked later if necessary.

Unfortunately, even though we have a lot of spare tables, the dwarves refuse to make traction benches because we don't have any. But we do. Not sure what to do except make another table and try again. I'm running a flood test on the hospital now....and trying to fix a broken part of the turbine system.

Edit: Hospital flood system needs tweaks but does work. Slowly.

Unfortunately, I've broken the inlet for the turbines. Good old dwarven engineering being unable to link up bridges properly. I'm trying to replace it with a new system, but I've run out of mechanisms. And rock. And everything. So we'll see if that works out or not. I've ordered a new bridge outside the walls to help wagons, but I doubt it'll get built in time. Likewise the last few floor additions and the like, which got ordered with stone rather than blocks because the workshops were losing track of what rocks existed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:15:34 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 04:40:25 am »

Urist McKiwi VI smiled to himself. It had been a good year. More or less.

The repairs to the turbine hall had gone well, with a redundant floodgate system installed, just in case. The system was slowly refilling now for one final test before he stood down as overseer.

Above the hall, a new dining hall stood in a state of semi-completion. Maybe it would be useful in future. Next to it, a pair of training and rest areas for the Militia were slowly developing the fortress' military abilities. They needed to improve....the new crossbow squad had been ordered out to handle a pack of hyenas coming disconcertingly close to dwarves gathering logs outside the fort. They'd killed a few of them, but had 4 dwarves wounded, some of them seriously. Still, there was some potential. A passing woodcutter had lopped the head off one of the beasts, and on discovering that he owned the only steel melee weapon in the fort McKiwi had offered him a job on the melee squad. Unfortunately the paperwork was a bit muddled, and honestly he didn't know if that had worked or not. Hmmph!

The injured dwarves had all been treated though. McKiwi's second project had been to build a new hospital, perched over the falls and equipped with a flooding system to clean out contaminants. He'd been rather pleased with it at the time, but the flooding system was a bit.....crude. Still, he knew his limits, and fluid engineering was well beyond them. The medical dwarf (after fainting at the sight of blood) had been rather happy with the setup after regaining his senses and actually tending to the wounded.

The new trade depot was up and ready for action, locked in a small enclosure in the outer wall. Now it could be left open for trade without inviting unwelcome guests into the fortress. Some new bridges had been built to help merchants move their wagons around the surrounding area as well. This had also opened up more areas for logging, which had sped up construction considerably.

Finally, he'd had a path dug to the small hill on the far side of the canyon, and ordered the slopes steepened to secure it. It still needed a lot of work to secure the bridge from above, and then some actual fortifications, but it would make a good outpost or tower. He'd ordered some traps put in place for the time being. Better safe than sorry, and all that.

On top of all the construction work, he'd ordered full-time processing of coal into coke. The fortress needed all the metal it could get, and that meant fuel. Some silver warhammers might be useful as well...although some steel axes would certainly work better for him personally.....
------------------------

Save and screenshots will be up tomorrow. I have a few more days ingame, and some housekeeping to do before passing it over. This year has been very good! Apart from the injuries and the waterfall deaths. I'm running the turbines for a test and it's going very well indeed. That area seems to accumulate blood, oddly.

Turns out the bridge that wasn't opening wasn't opening because it was forbidden. So we have a bunch of floodgates installed that aren't needed. Someone else can remove them...I don't have time. The dude who was sent to remove the bridge arrived just after it was opened, got washed away by the flooding, clambered out, and immediately started fishing.

The tunnel to the southern hill was dug on a whim, and it's not exactly secure....climbers are an issue, and anything that can drop down a Z-level onto the bridge. However in order to get in, any hostile will need to pass two rows of stone traps and a cage trap. And there's a hatch that can lock it all down, which I've forbidden for the time being.

I've ordered silver warhammers, but don't have anyone to use them just yet. No steel, alas....but we have the fuel to make some, if that's wanted. I'd advise building more walls (and equipping the archers better) before doing that though.

There's a bug with the militia system where McKiwi is o the militia squad twice, and I can't remove one of them. So no random woodcutter in the squad. Pity. That steel axe is our best weapon.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 11:43:18 pm »

Alrighty! I have a savefile and final OOC report for you all. Because of the massive construction work, here's some screenshots to really show the place off. I've included what some of the levers do.

Edit: The forum clips off the far right side usually! There's a scrollbar somewhere!

The ground level. New trade depot at top-right, new levers at the big "1" in the middle. Many, many new stonefall traps. Note the new hospital building hanging over the chasm. One level down, that has our hospital. The lever to flood this is in the meeting hall over the turbine hall.

See?

That meeting hall is rather spartan, but it's big, so I've designated it as the current meeting hall to reduce crowding. Next to it are the two new...um...barrackses? Whatever the correct plural is. The one on the left is for archers, the right one is for melee. They have fancy gem windows because we had no glass and I only found the magma furnaces 3 ingame days before the end of the turn when they started receiving the orders placed at the start of the year.

Above that is a completely unfinished area, but it does have fortifications. So this corner is about as secure as the place gets.

I have also added a series of extremely helpful and friendly notes around the fortress proper that will aid and guide future overseers. Except I got a little bored, so some of them are less helpful than others.

The turbine system is flawed...the drainage system is broken and needs to be ripped up and fixed. but I'll let someone else handle that. It does work though! So you can make machines and the like if you want to. No screenshots of that though.

It's been a nice year, with relatively few deaths, and the population is nice and stable-ish. We're quite wealthy as well....I expect that will cause us some fun in the future.

There's more stuff I haven't shown, but it would be boring to try. Have a look around and you'll find most of the important stuff (except the magma furnaces. No idea where those are).

Good luck to the next few peeps. I'd advise continuing construction! We have a lot of stuff we can build!

SAVEGAME

Edit: Oh, and please try to build a safety-net or something to stop things falling off the waterfall. We routinely lose pets and ocaisionally lose dwarves down there, and it's not a survivable fall for anything. I tried, but it went horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:03:28 am by Urist McKiwi »

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 04:39:42 am »

Can I be dorfed?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:22 pm »

Could I have a turn in ten RL years? :)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 09:30:31 pm »

Could I have a turn in ten RL years?
The random pile of characters constituting your username has been added to the list.

As for our 2015 player, I've previously contacted Darkrider via PM, and he seemed up for a turn. I've informed him that his turn has arrived, he should (hopefully) manifest here in the near future.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:37:08 pm by Taupe »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 09:43:58 pm »

This is probably going to be the next turn I get in a succession fort after I found Slaughterhelm, whenever that is.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 09:56:08 pm »

While updating the turn order, I decided to fend off my lazyness for a brief moment, and indexed the original thread. The first three turns should have easy-to-use links for new readers. Urist, I'll be sure to archive your turn very soon eventually maybe?

PS: I was really glad to see someone who sounded like they knew their way around engineering. Then I read the screenshot, and there's a part where you explain what each lever does. One of which is labelled ''I have no idea''. It's funny because I built the warehouse, and didn't put levers in them. You are basically the visionary mind behind this contraption and you totally can't say what it accomplishes. This fort is going places.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:07:52 pm by Taupe »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2015, 10:41:10 pm »

Can I sign up for a turn? The only restriction is that I can't go for a month- my last final will be on May 8th.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 10:43:47 pm »

The only restriction is that I can't go for a month- my last final will be on May 8th.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:45:31 pm by Taupe »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 11:01:54 pm »

While updating the turn order, I decided to fend off my lazyness for a brief moment, and indexed the original thread. The first three turns should have easy-to-use links for new readers. Urist, I'll be sure to archive your turn very soon eventually maybe?

PS: I was really glad to see someone who sounded like they knew their way around engineering. Then I read the screenshot, and there's a part where you explain what each lever does. One of which is labelled ''I have no idea''. It's funny because I built the warehouse, and didn't put levers in them. You are basically the visionary mind behind this contraption and you totally can't say what it accomplishes. This fort is going places.

I did remember what it did in the end!...um....this morning actually. It toggles the bridge to nowhere next to the bridge to somewhere over the chasm. The 'garbage disposal' experiment I tried that....um...completely failed. Turns out you can't dump stuff on a bridge, apparently.

But I figured it was funnier to leave it as it was rather than re-upload the save, remake the picture, re-upload that as well, and edit the post. I'm not above leaving mostly-harmless surprises for future people to discover. But for the record, it's that little stub of a bridge next to the left-most bridge across the creek that has the power-station inlet. It's not a very useful lever.

To be fair though, I have no idea what's going on with the bridge at the intake for the turbines, except to say that it sometimes works when you pull the lever. And it can't be removed unless we divert the creek upstream, which will require power from the turbine hall, which requires that we do not divert the creek.

Edit: Oh, and I just realised that the "wash away toxic blood and goo in the hospital" outlet is right next to the well for the hospital. I'm sure that will be fine though. I'm reasonably sure that magic water purification via well still works.

In terms of engineering skill...I'm still a beginner, but I know enough to make a basic power station and not flood the fortress. Never worked with pumpstacks, so I didn't bother working on the Pimpstack. But repairing Moltenchannels for its big self-destruct was enough to get me this far. With some issues...there's a lot of very small axles in places rather than big ones because I forgot you could alter size before placing them....but hey, it worked! And I dare say someone will make it better eventually.

The only restriction is that I can't go for a month- my last final will be on May 8th.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Translation: That will probably not be a problem.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:14:31 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 02:34:36 pm »

Am I mistaken? Or can you place dumps on stockpiles? If so, a pair of stock piles set to take from one another, and a third set to pull from them, and then load a minecart sitting on a stop set to dump into the water.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 04:47:02 pm »

Am I mistaken? Or can you place dumps on stockpiles? If so, a pair of stock piles set to take from one another, and a third set to pull from them, and then load a minecart sitting on a stop set to dump into the water.

Eh, it's probably better just to set up an atom smasher.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »

Can I sign up for a turn? The only restriction is that I can't go for a month- my last final will be on May 8th.
Ah, same.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22