Is this poll terrible

yes
- 0 (0%)
totally
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 20, 2015, 08:45:24 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2) Preparing the reboot...  (Read 32435 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2)
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 03:50:40 pm »

I really need to pay more attention to these forums.

Sign me up again, bby!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:22 pm »

I really need to pay more attention to these forums.

Sign me up again, bby!
Subscribe your pm box to send you emails, that way you won't miss a turn. Succession hosts usually contact players via PM to make sure they hear about their turns.

added you back to the turn

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 11:47:32 pm »

I'm still here for when it rolls back around to me. Are we sending PM's to members on the turn list?

We are. Up tp now, everyone on the turn list registered like 7 months ago. We got one turn out of that.

But look how fun and (mostly) death-free it was!

......the following players are probably more up-to-date and free to play than the bunch we just skipped.

I'm imagining a premium store, currency and hat-addons for Dwarf Fortress players now. I'm still not sure how, but it may be all the sugary drinks I've had while studying today....

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 06:05:07 pm »

The Journal of Deus Asmoth, Lord of Cactusson, Defender of the Realm, Vizier Supreme and All-Round Nice Guy
1st of Granite, 104
It's nice to see that the people of Murderflood (or Murderflood, the Fiery Enchanted Hell-Dike of Terror to give it its full name) have gotten over their suspicions that I was somehow responsible for my wife's death. I loved her with all my heart! Or at least, she had a role to play in my plans and it didn't benefit me to kill her once she'd fulfilled that role. And that's basically the same thing, right? In any case, she left me with five living children of royal blood, so with some luck I'll be able to ensure that one of my daughters inherits the kingdom rather than just this bloody (literally) hole in the ground. Since Urist, our eldest, left us to pursue her own interests some years ago, I'll concentrate my efforts on Thob. She comes of age this year, and second children tend to have more resentment to draw on in any case.

On to the matter at hand, though. Murderflood seems reasonably well stocked for the moment. We do need more seeds, which I will be sure to bring up with any merchants that happen on us. I intend to expand our militia with some conscription, which should be easy enough considering all the children that are coming of age in the next couple of years (note to self: may require better recruitment drive than pointing out that the children don't do anything else useful). To supplement this, we'll have to start smelting more ores. The miners claim that they found a blue ore of near magical quality deep underground, but for some reason none of our leaders have done any work with it yet. I intend to remedy this, but cautiously in order to reassure the dolts who claim I'll 'end the world' or 'unleash the Dark Ones'. Fools. It's not like I'll be going down there myself in any case, so what does it matter if a few peasants have to die?

10th of Granite:
It turns out on further examination of the census, that most of our peasants aren't newly graduated children at all! One of them has gotten to the age of seventy six without doing a hand's turn in their life! Well, I'm putting a stop to this sloth right this instant!

15th of Granite:
It turns out that my daughter Thob is actually the only child coming of age this year. I've explained to her that she'll be learning the art of war anyway, since she'll sometimes have to take a more direct approach in removing one of her political rivals. Perhaps I could get one of the others into a church for a two pronged assault at the head of the realm...

In any case, a caravan of elven merchants has arrived. I'll get back to my thoughts once I've dealt with them.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2015, 03:22:51 am »

10th of Granite:
It turns out on further examination of the census, that most of our peasants aren't newly graduated children at all! One of them has gotten to the age of seventy six without doing a hand's turn in their life! Well, I'm putting a stop to this sloth right this instant!

Ah, yes. We had a lot (Maybe 40+) immigrants last year, and a lot of them were useless. Since they were able to build walls and floors I didn't bother altering their labour settings except to train some furnace operators to mass-produce coke for steelmaking.

It's pretty impressive to survive to 76 without doing anything in a DF world though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2015, 05:13:28 am »

Dorf pimp perhaps?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 11:45:36 am »

People are peasants because building walls and floors does not require a skill, nor does it train one. With so many outdoor projects, most of the dwarves spend their days hauling and building instead of grabbing a job.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2015, 06:01:44 pm »

Hmm. I may need to avoid drafting them all then. Oh well.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »

Yeah, any building project will probably mobilize the population as a whole. The best way to avoid idle overload is really just to give them a new building to work on.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2015, 07:45:38 pm »

Yeah. A curiously effective starting method is infini-dorfing. Everyone gets exactly one job, and always the same job at the same time. It's incredibly effective early on, but later it's irritating.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2015, 06:17:17 pm »

The Journal of Deus Asmoth, Lord of Cactusson.
12th of Granite.
An elven caravan arrived today, with some form of diplomat in tow. Hopefully they're here to discuss more favourable trading arrangements between our nations.

24th of Granite.
We managed to get a potentially breeding pair of leopards off the elves, as well as a giant tiger. Their diplomat seems to be procrastinating mightily, though.

26th of Granite.
Another set of migrants have arrived, doubtless hoping to leech off of our hard work and live a life of luxury in Murderflood. Well, since I can't draft the dwarves who actually do anything, these new freeloaders have been granted the honour of actually doing something with their lives and founding Cactusson's Third Regiment.

30th of Granite.
Apparently, we only have a tiny number of weapon- and armoursmiths, and the ones that we do have are barely skilled enough to make a nail or... whatever the armour equivalent of something that barely constitutes a weapon and isn't difficult to make is. A buckler, I guess. In any case, I've packed them all off to the forges, and they're going to be half decent at their jobs before the year is through, or they're going to regret it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:26:14 pm by Deus Asmoth »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2015, 06:28:34 pm »

1. Magma forges
2. Mass smelting
3. Metal bolts
4. Profit

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2015, 06:48:57 pm »

Something like that, yes. The existing militia will probably get an equipment upgrade in the process, but I doubt I'll be working with the blue stuff this year. It just feels wasteful to use it with a not-legendary smith.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:57 pm »

Something like that, yes. The existing militia will probably get an equipment upgrade in the process, but I doubt I'll be working with the blue stuff this year. It just feels wasteful to use it with a not-legendary smith.

I made some inroads into steel production last year...only a couple of bars of pig iron produced, but I set up a repeating set of furnaces (not magma ones, since I'd actually lost the location of those) to produce coke out of coal. Those may still be running, but even they aren't you should have a metric crud-ton of coke lying around. As a result, I'd recommend the production of steel weapons (unless you're gonna go for maces or warhammers, in which case, silver all the way). Currently we have one steel axe and that's it. Quality isn't all that important yet...train them up for now then try to get a strange mood out of 'em. Steel will also give us a (very, very small) chance if you accidentally unleash the HFS.

But if you're going to do that, make sure you buff the walls a little. Our defenses are still lackluster and having all that steel around will attract attention. Last year had no attacks at all, but I wouldn't expect that to last...we're short on places for our archers to work from, and our archers themselves are not very well set up with equipment.

Unfortunately, the tiger I bought last year was a normal one. So no little tiger kittens. The diplomat is probably really annoyed at us for cutting down trees......last year he snapped at us, and I then cut down several hundred more trees for the building projects.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »

Those may still be running, but even they aren't you should have a metric crud-ton of coke lying around.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22