Is this poll terrible

yes
- 0 (0%)
totally
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 20, 2015, 08:45:24 pm

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22

Author Topic: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2) Preparing the reboot...  (Read 31949 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2)
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:35 am »

If its really the autosave, you could disable it for a moment and pass the year.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2015, 06:14:53 am »

Go ahead and continue. I wasn't able to save at all without DF crashing.

I didn't enable stockflow, but I like using workflow because it means I don't have to keep ordering the bloody booze to turn back on every five minutes. I've lost no end of fortresses, because the booze shut off, and everything slowed down and then enemies showed up.

I did also set some limits on clothing, because we keep ending up with huge piles of old stuff all over the place and that's also a leading cause of problems I've found. Naked dwarves that is, the piles of stuff I just order hauled to the depot and traded.

You can adjust the limits on workflow protected jobs. Select it and hit alt-w, and you can set or adjust the limits.

I also hope you remembered not to butcher the pigs at the bottom of the list.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2015, 09:02:47 am »

my new workaround is to simply queue about 30x4 bre drink jobs when the stocks drop below a certain threshold. If anything is missing the cancellation spam will tell you whats the problem. Then queue barrels, pots or plant proccessing as needed.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2015, 11:03:45 am »

Right then, that alt-w thing is really helpful to know. For some odd reason, can't get stonesense to work on this fort, though it works just fine on my other fort.

Now before I go on a butchering spree, what is this about the pigs again? Is that our main meat source going forward? Because I'm planning on getting rid of ALL of the non-pet, non-exotic stuff just to scrounge up whatever FPS I can get, <10 fps is a real pain to work with.

I will be accepting dorfing/ redorfing requests. Let me know if you'll like a specific dwarf, name and profession title to go with it, otherwise I'll just use my own discretion.

To be dorfed:

jwoodward48df (jwoodward48df)
FearfulJesuit (FearfulJesuit)
Rigel (Tonnot98)
Pearofclubs (Pearofclubs)
sponge (sponge)
TheKaspa (TheKaspa)
Maxcat61 (Maxcat61)
notquitethere (notquitethere)
MDFication (MDFication)
Dorsidwarf (Dorsidwarf)

To be redorfed:

Taupe II (taupe)
Zuglarkun II (Zuglarkun)
bluescreen1988 II (??)
bp920091 II (??)
Triaxx2 II (Triaxx2)

Not quite sure who some of the dwarfs are supposed to be representing. So there might be some duplication.
Do let me know if I am missing anyone else.

Here's a snapshot of the fort before I embark on my turn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll start playing out my turn over the weekend.

After a quick overview, current plans are to expand floor space for upper floors, and perhaps a defensive structure of some kind on the eastern side. Would really like to actually dig out magma dikes to live up to the fortress name, but the uneven terrain and the river is a real hindrance in that respect. Perhaps some other mass flooding contraption will suffice. I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:49:05 am by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2015, 11:16:05 am »

Wow 214 dwarves? I'm not sure how exactly we are housing all those fine folks with our handcrafted above--groung structures

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2015, 05:30:55 pm »

At the moment, we're not. Most of them are in dormitories I believe. I didn't realize it was a problem, or I'd have had beds being made.

Stonesense wouldn't work for me either. Old computer would cause DF to crash, new one caused Stonesense to crash. Some kind of problem running a renderer. Not sure if it's an issue with the save being multi-version, or the version of Stonesense.

On pigs: Pigs reach full size after two years. So if you butcher the older ones first, you get more meat. I don't think it affects leather. And since they don't graze, they can be enclosed for long periods, or even raised above the ground.

On magma: I left a note on the west side of the chasm directly above the lava. Maybe a spiral stack?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2015, 07:38:10 pm »

After three of my narators died, I dwarfed myself as GRRM the Bookeeper.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »

Oh, yeah, I kind of got killed by mystery lava during my first turn. I was a level above, with no direct connection and got hit somehow.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2015, 08:34:21 am »

i wanna a turn!!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2015, 01:29:33 pm »

Just finished the remaining of year 105.

I'll post a more detailed writeup with screen shots (I took a decent amount of them) later on in the week along with updates for spring and summer hopefully.

Here's a brief summary of events while I continue to play out the year 106. (Like right now)

First order of business - Reinstating the chosen.
(Everyone that has not been properly dorfed in my previous post is now dorfed, including Gwolfski, and those that need to be redorfed were redorfed. I'll post the individual pictures next update.)

Second order of business
- Mass butcher of livestock. There are now 31 animals in the fort, including pets. I preserved the piglets as breeding stock as well as the exotic big cats. Was able to salvage some FPS from that. I get around 18-20 FPS now as compared to <10 FPS from earlier.

Third order of business - I did some reshuffling of the military garb, in anticipation of the armory being restocked with quality steel armor. I also redid all of the training schedules, so that dwarves would spar more frequently. Made a large order of steel weaponry and armor to be made to outfit our military. Discovered we had few useable bolts, and plenty of unusable arrows, all of them in bins to boot. (Which made equipping bolts buggy.) Will have to redo the ammo stockpiles next year.

Fourth order of business - Continued to expand the floor space by building floors on the second level of the fort. Next overseer can probably utilize it to build living quarters or move the stockpiles and workshops there. Everything is cramped on the ground level, making it one big mess to navigate through.

I was informed of a reacher corpse befouling the tunnels with its foul rotten stench. Upon closer inspection, I believe it emerged from the stairway below which was not floored over and opens up directly into the caverns over some spore trees. I have ordered it floored over, lest worse things issue from the cavernous depths.
(the up/down stairs exposed the fort to the caverns. I've sealed off the 2 hazardous spots by flooring over them.)

26th Obsidian 105
Unib Mengsosad has risen and is haunting the fortress! After consulting with the older occupants, I've discovered that Unib was one of those unfortunate few whom had perished in the river, and thus we couldn't recover the corpse for a proper burial. I've also discovered that Unib is not the only ghostly presence haunting the fortress. Alath Mokezkikrost is another of those unfortunate victims. I've ordered slabs to be carved and dedicated to them in an effort to sate their desire to be memorialized in proper dwarven fashion.

28th Obsidian 105

Stakud Nakuthshorast Kings Cousin has been possessed!

Spring has arrived on the calendar.

EDIT: Was able to autosave as well as save. Save is uncompressed for fear of save corruption. Also, not running DFhack for fear of save corruption. Would recommend not using the DFHack 'reveal' command, as it crashes the game every single time.

EDIT2: Ah I see, a spiral pimpstack. Now I understand what those dang arrows are for. I have more experience with the vertical powered kind, so I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Will see how it goes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:50:15 pm by Zuglarkun »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »

THE CHOSEN DORFS thus far...

Spoiler: notquite there is fine (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Kaspa is good (click to show/hide)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2015, 04:06:41 pm »

I like this design:

Code: [Select]
LLsSL
LWWGs
SWWWS
sGWWL
LSsLL

This way you only need two shafts, and every other side gets two gears. It's power expensive, but surprisingly FPS friendly.

An alternate option, is to run a single shaft of gears down the Center, with gears on each side of the plus as you go down. That's actually a little more expensive.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2015, 12:42:55 am »

I actually really like my dorf!
When I have more time, I'll have to look her over - seems like she'll be fun to role play as.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:33 pm »

I like this design:

Code: [Select]
LLsSL
LWWGs
SWWWS
sGWWL
LSsLL

This way you only need two shafts, and every other side gets two gears. It's power expensive, but surprisingly FPS friendly.

An alternate option, is to run a single shaft of gears down the Center, with gears on each side of the plus as you go down. That's actually a little more expensive.

Power may be a concern...the turbine hall was only my second or third generator system ever, so it's not geared for maximum power. But I'm sure that with some alterations it can be made to work. The only issue would be if there's enough space to do that without cutting off the ramp to the first floor. Alternatively, the water flow could be re-routed into more turbines downstream of the original hall (which might also allow for a more secure conduit for the power).

....or we can just botch it together with what we've got and let it go humourously wrong later on.

If the turbine channel has been drained all this time, it may also be necessary to pave it with blocks to stop stuff growing in it. Might not be an issue though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2015, 04:54:30 am »

There should be enough blocks to pave it over.

I didn't have time to investigate the turbine hall while playing, though it should provide more than sufficient power for even a spiral lift. If all else fails, there's always a minecart lift, though that'd take forever to fill a magma dike.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22