Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unity game development thread  (Read 2554 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Unity game development thread
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 12:53:59 am »

Interesting choice of octagon for the grid. I did something similar thing but chose a cube-mapped sphere. It's in C++ / OpenGL, but I'm going to look at porting the ideas into Unity. I prefer the cube mapping because each face is a square grid, which is easier for working with game stuff. Though there are 8 points on the grid where the corners hit 120 degrees rather than 90 degrees.

I'm kind of interesting in this one too:

https://experilous.com/1/blog/post/procedural-planet-generation
that site was asking me for my ssl certificate and failing to load till I took out the https

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:02:31 am »

I have been trying to learn unity with C# lately too, and so far have kinda completed "pong" and the next step is another clone of something, thinking of programming a 2D top-down racing game or possibly a platformer.

Also I'm learning from scratch so development is slow. It took me a week full time to make "pong" where it is now(with zero outside help), and I spent another three days trying to debug stuff. Man that was fun.

But now I kinda got stuck trying create a 3D driving car, and that has proved too challenging. Jumping from pong too modelling/programming a car was clearly a mistake.

I could upload the pong thing if anyone actually wants to look at it. It kept my younger brother entertained for hours, just don't expect anything amazing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 11:11:07 am »

I'd probably recommend more micro-projects before a full blown game. Try to turn Pong into Breakout. Then turn that into Space Invaders. Then go for Tetris, then Pac Man. After that, I'd recommend making a Zelda type game, which leads you into how to make RPGs. Alternatively, Space Invaders could be the basis for top-scrolling bullet-hell type games, which are a pretty popular genre.

Rather than throwing out what you built, each code base can be gradually adapted to slightly more complex types of games. For example, the controller code for Pong, Breakout, and Space Invaders are identical, just with different sprites. If you're extra clever, then you can reuse the pong code to have the ball bounce off anything too. And keep that around in all your 2D engines, then you can have variable game physics, such as bullets that bounce around corners in your RPG.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:18:51 am by Reelya »

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 12:13:02 pm »

I'd probably recommend more micro-projects before a full blown game. Try to turn Pong into Breakout. Then turn that into Space Invaders. Then go for Tetris, then Pac Man. After that, I'd recommend making a Zelda type game, which leads you into how to make RPGs. Alternatively, Space Invaders could be the basis for top-scrolling bullet-hell type games, which are a pretty popular genre.

Rather than throwing out what you built, each code base can be gradually adapted to slightly more complex types of games. For example, the controller code for Pong, Breakout, and Space Invaders are identical, just with different sprites. If you're extra clever, then you can reuse the pong code to have the ball bounce off anything too. And keep that around in all your 2D engines, then you can have variable game physics, such as bullets that bounce around corners in your RPG.

Micro projects is what I'm aiming at right now. That 3D car thing stopped then when instead of driving normally it made front flips while the wheels did crazy loops. That was a very clear sign that I've stepped much too far.

Now its 2D from now on, with clones of the classics and other simple looking stuff.

Also, what kinda projects are you doing/done?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »

Speaking of microprojects, the Ludum Dare 72 hour game jam recently wrapped up. It's a good testbed for rapid prototyping and making and getting feedback on silly game experiments, and combing through for inspiration. Did a collab with my younger brother on a Unity game this time around:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=21983

We made the code and Unity project files public for anyone who wants to pick it apart too. I was worried it'd be too much like Pokemon Snap, only to discover everyone thinks it's inspired by a different game I've never heard of. :1

Still, it was a good experience, and I'd highly recommend it as a way to learn and experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]