Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: Seeker of Spellcraft (SG)  (Read 46362 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Seeker of Spellcraft (SG)
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:22:24 am »

You grew up in a small town named Ask-Heart, independant of any national structure, beholden to no lord or profession. Your home was hidden away, in a secure temperate river valley, away from the dangers of war and lacking anything that the greedy or the power-hungry might desire. With only a few hundred members of the community, it's entirely possible that it's a place unheard of by the world outside. In this place your life so far has been quiet and safe, but for you this place can no longer be home, for it does not contain that which you might seek.

For the whole of your life you have been consumed by ambition, even since childhood you've borne an inner curiousity and desire to learn and discover new things. From each of your parents you learned all that they had to teach you, and when you exhausted all their expertise you sated your hunger for knowledge by helping and learning from the other people of Ask-Heart. Soon however, you realized that these rural people had little to teach you, and far more interested were you in tales of the outside world. You learned the words of every song known in town, you became proficient enough in tale-lore that you mastered quickly learning stories, and learning each tale enough by heart that you could tell the old tales with more proficiency and detail than any one person in town. For over seventeen years you lived nursing your ambitions, never content to settle on any of the professions available to you.

One day, a horsed wanderer came into town, a rare event in a town like Ask-Heart. She paid the local carpenter for room and board, and she stayed in the sleepy little town for over a week. Sometimes she would wander the gentle wilderness around town, and sometimes she would simply sit and talk with the townsfolk for hours at a time. You claimed as much of her time as she was willing to give you, listening and making note of everything she said, whether she offered news of the rise and fall of kingdoms, or simply offered compliments of a meal brought to her. Her name was Aednat, and her eyes regarded you with quiet interest. She indulged many of your questions, and offered some of her own, sometimes asking about the lands around, and sometimes asking about you, what you desired from life, and wether you held any higher ambitions. She herself seemed a woman of purpose and quiet power, and you couldn't help but feel a little in awe of her.

She left after tarrying for that week, but not before leaving you a tiny leatherbound notebook. You did not have the opportunity to ask her about it, but it contained barely twenty pages, the first of which bore a queer message. Read by Candlelight.
When you did just so that very night, you discovered something that boggled your mind. Written on the pages, in a red ink only visible by the light of your candle were instructions for the casting of spells, and on the final page, a set of directions to a far off place.

GM NOTE:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeker of Spellcraft (SG)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:28 am »

Name: Jehundik of the House of Theronia
Father: Carpenter
Mother: Herbalist
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:40:37 am »

Name: Zoln Vanyik
Father: Hunter/Trapper
Mother: Herbalist/Forager

Welcome to the lowest board~

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 12:56:41 am »

Welcome to the lowest board~

Thanks for the welcome! This has actually been my most frequented haunt here on bay 12 since i joined about two years ago, but i havn't really been around as much as i would like lately. Hoping to get back into the swing of it!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:08:37 am »

Ah~ Well welcome back then~

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:21:15 am »

I don't care about the name or the gender but I think we should have Blacksmith/Herbalist parents for artifact-making and alchemy respectively.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 01:21:56 am »

We need to be able to survive on the road first. We can learn blacksmithing and alchemy later.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:25 am »

Ignore this failed post.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:26:47 am by Peradon »
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 01:24:11 am »

Name: Jehundik Vanyik
Father: Blacksmith

We need to be able to survive on the road first. We can learn blacksmithing and alchemy later.
We can survive on Herbalist alone, we just have to keep making health potions!

EDIT:
-
+1

EDIT: Aw man. You messed up a comedic post of mine...
I just made a temp edit. If you want, you can fix your post and I can remove this bit.

EDIT2:
Ignore this failed post.
Your shame will live forever.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:29:21 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 01:47:27 am »

EDIT:
-
+1

EDIT: Aw man. You messed up a comedic post of mine...
I just made a temp edit. If you want, you can fix your post and I can remove this bit.

EDIT2:
Ignore this failed post.
Your shame will live forever.
Health potions do not equal food. Nor will they be sustaining. Nor do we have any sort of alchemical knowledge whatsoever. We can learn blacksmithing later.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 02:11:36 am »

Health potions do not equal food. Nor will they be sustaining. Nor do we have any sort of alchemical knowledge whatsoever. We can learn blacksmithing later.
Not eating food leads to starvation. Starvation takes away our health. Health potions restore health. Therefore, health potions can be used instead of health. Even if that logic doesn't work out in the game, we can still just sell the health potion and use the money we get to buy food. That's literally how blacksmiths and herbalists managed to feed themselves over the past few millennia. As for blacksmithing, it would take too long and be too annoying to learn about it afterwards, plus we might be too busy doing other stuff to learn blacksmithing.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 02:36:55 am »

Herbalist means we will recognize plants so we can get food that way

Then we should probably get some kind of social skill like son of a merchant or nobleman

So this but change blacksmith to merchant
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:38:31 am by Generally me »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 02:49:52 am »

You know, those professions were only examples. We could make one of our parents a jeweller. One Ring of Power, anyone? ;D

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 03:24:00 am »

You guys appear to be assuming these are the only things we can learn ever.

By the time we are at the power level for making hightier artifacts. We will have the skills for high tier artifacts. Hell, we might pick up spells that let us bypass blacksmithing entirely and make the whole skill branch completely useless. Don't base starting skills off of what you want in the far far future. Base them off of what we will need ASAP. Aka Hunting/Trapping and Herbalism. Hunting/trapping lets us fill our belly whenever we're in nature, as well as gives us a headstart on stealth, archery, trap making and setting, butchery, and a bunch of other things, and herbalism balances out the diet and gives us a headstart on alchemy, healing, poison making, and prevents us from suffering from eating bad plants when we're hungry. Cause we will know what the poison mushrooms are. We Cannot. And I repeat. Cannot. Make health potions at the start. Because of the No Advanced Magicy Stuff Clause./ So even if that twisted logic works (which it probably won't.) It will not fill our belly during the early stages of the game. It will not give us a headstart on any skill branches. And it most certainly will not benefit us. Our character is clearly a fast learner and Will Learn The Various Things You Want Later. I for one would like to not die early on because we starved to death.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:09 am »

I *am* going to disclaim that Herbalism will probably not allow the early-game creation of magical potions capable of curing such ailments as debilitating hunger. Unless you consider mushroom soup a potion. Magical and quasi-magical plant-life does exist in the setting, but it's not so abundant that you can count upon being able to find it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43