Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Space colonization/exploration game (title pending)  (Read 6667 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space colonization/exploration game (title pending)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:41 pm »

Looking good.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 11:38:02 pm »

Re-added asteroid fields, a feature which existed in prior versions but I removed them to simplify worldgen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not too well-versed in asteroid field formation, however. My impression is that they form when an object like Jupiter disrupts planet formation in an inner part of the system, so where you would normally get a planet, you'd get an asteroid belt.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 12:35:40 am »

Previously, moons of a planet were stored in a separate system that you had to click on. Now, however, you can just zoom straight in. This comes at a slight performance cost, but I made it so it won't render small orbits until you are fully zoomed. Still, I hardly ever noticed any lag before I added in that optimization. I'm really beginning to appreciate the power of modern computers.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:38:28 am by _DivideByZero_ »

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 05:33:08 am »

This is really amazing.

Will the player races all be humanoids?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 05:32:32 pm »

This is really amazing.

Will the player races all be humanoids?

The backstory I am leaning toward is that human civilization undergoes some sort of transhumanism-induced apocalypse (perhaps a geoengineering incident or something) and sends out two colony ships on a relativistic voyage. The first one, the "Ark", is really fast and contains lifeforms from earth, especially extremophilic microbes, with the intention of seeding potentially habitable worlds in that galaxy with life for the oncoming colonists. The second colony ship travels much more slowly and arrives millions (or perhaps billions) of years after the first to first give life some time to spread. When the humans arrive, there should (hopefully) be several worlds terraformed by Earth life waiting to be colonized.

Obviously there might be moral issues (like introducing a xenoplague on some alien civilization's homeworld), but we'll consider that future humanity knows a lot more about the presence of extrasolar life than we do, and that their decision was made with the key interest of preserving humanity along with whatever engineered offspring there are.

So there will potentially be non-humanoid starting races, and definitely if you let the game progress so that some civilizations start experimenting with genetic engineering (df style worldgen and succession). But energy beings and the like are beyond the scope of plausibility.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:06:55 am by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 01:59:49 am »

First pass on planetary surface maps:

Currently these can be accessed by clicking on a selected planet. The intent is to allow the player to choose landing sites, place cities, search for resources, and so on. I don't plan to make it a major feature with a separate RTS-style minigame to manage on each planet during war, but I am currently trying to decide whether or not it's worth it in the first place to have a world map like this. Some players prefer more micromanagement, while others prefer less.

Unfortunately, these maps would massively increase the filesize of save games if they were stored directly in the save, so they are simply generated when you click on the planet. It takes about a second for me, I'm not sure how long it would take for other computers.

The resolution is low because higher resolutions would make the player wait for a while until the noise algorithm generates something suitable.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 04:46:28 am »

Perhaps warships won't even be able to decelerate by themselves. They'd force their targets to build braking lasers and shine them on the incoming warships to slow them down, or else the warships themselves slam into the system's planets and infrastructure at relativistic velocities. Warships would probably have to be automated, then, or at least be self-contained and manned by crew that don't realize the plan until they are told in the middle of the journey. The systems that emerge could be interesting.
The problem with that is not only are you trying to hit targets so small that a wayward photon could throw you of course, but also that relying on someone else to slow you down is not a very good idea.

The braking laser could easily just throw the craft off course, flinging it straight back into space with little harm done;

Wistil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 11:23:30 am »

You had mentioned that you wanted some information on setting up planets. I found this book helpful for a similar game I'm in the planning stages for. It goes into detail on planetary climate modeling which can help you set your temperature ranges for each planet better than a straight flux calculation.

http://cips.berkeley.edu/events/rocky-planets-class09/ClimateVol1.pdf

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 01:36:30 pm »

You had mentioned that you wanted some information on setting up planets. I found this book helpful for a similar game I'm in the planning stages for. It goes into detail on planetary climate modeling which can help you set your temperature ranges for each planet better than a straight flux calculation.

http://cips.berkeley.edu/events/rocky-planets-class09/ClimateVol1.pdf

That's a lot of reading. Thanks, although most of this climate science stuff is somewhat over my head. Additionally, I once read a paper (that I can't seem to dig up again, unfortunately) which gave a figure between 1.1 solar fluxes and 4.0 solar fluxes for the onset of the runaway greenhouse effect on Earth, depending on cloud coverage. Since models have a hard time accounting for clouds I'm not confident in existing climate models to make good predictions for extrasolar planets.

Perhaps warships won't even be able to decelerate by themselves. They'd force their targets to build braking lasers and shine them on the incoming warships to slow them down, or else the warships themselves slam into the system's planets and infrastructure at relativistic velocities. Warships would probably have to be automated, then, or at least be self-contained and manned by crew that don't realize the plan until they are told in the middle of the journey. The systems that emerge could be interesting.
The problem with that is not only are you trying to hit targets so small that a wayward photon could throw you of course, but also that relying on someone else to slow you down is not a very good idea.

The braking laser could easily just throw the craft off course, flinging it straight back into space with little harm done;

It's surprisingly hard to deflect a spacecract travelling at a significant fraction of c. A spacecraft might as well be a point at those distances, so I don't think you are remotely correct when you say the braking laser could fling a spacecraft off-course. It won't be possible to impart force with a significant cosine until the ship is already in your face.

You are exaggerating the effects of impacts as well. Photon impacts will average out to force the craft in all directions except forward, but it only becomes significant at higher speeds.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 03:15:05 pm »

I watch this, yes?
This project looks like it can into space, for sure.

What's this being programmed in?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 03:20:11 pm »

I watch this, yes?
This project looks like it can into space, for sure.

What's this being programmed in?

Java with some lwjgl-based engine for 2d graphics.

Technically the game has a 3d world already, since the z-coordinate is tracked for inclined orbits, but the graphics are 100% 2d.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »

This looks pretty awesome. It really looks like the kind of Space 4x I would make if I had the ability (both in game design and programming) to make it.
Note that because of the aforementioned lack of game design and programming abilities, take everything I suggest with a pinch of salt. These ideas come from someone experienced with playing 4x games, but not making them.

For the FTL-travel bit: I think it would be really nice if the distances between star systems would be significant not just for numbers but for gameplay. Make interstellar travel, even at higher tech-levels, an epic undertaking! I think it's interesting to ponder over how distance (in travel time) affects colonial undertakings, trade and economic patterns.

The timescale might be hard to get right, but I think that it is plausible for a near-extinction of humanity to result in slowed research and scientific progress, so for the first century or so, you might have the scientific institutions just trying to rebuild the practical knowledge that was lost, and a population that isn't even past the one billion mark. I think it would be reasonable to have the game operate on a scale similar to the Paradox Interactive games like Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis, where a ''game'' might last for a few centuries, and the general progression of time when playing is at a Day/Second scale. One thing I really dislike in Star Ruler and Stardrive is how the time systems are so decoupled from the world: Stardrive just has ''Stardate'' that ticks up with turns, Star Ruler is even worse, it has actual real time as the time system! So a Dreadnaught might take 90 seconds to build and a game takes a few hours to complete. I really dislike this.

Also, one thing I really dislike with a lot of Space 4X games is how small and insignificant each system is. In a lot of these games, a typical system might be: One useful planet with resources, two barren ones, and a gas giant, maybe. Instead, I think it would be really nice if solar systems were realistically modelled, with a huge amount of various bodies with different compositions and so on.
In Aurora, you have the realistic amounts of bodies right, but the resource system in that game still makes it all pretty arbitrary. Planetary bodies that would be useful to colonize in reality (because of Arable land, water deposits, metallic deposits, strategic location, etc.) usually aren't in that game if they don't have the MacGuffiny ''Trans-newtonian'' resources.
Of course, it would be realistic to have some bodies just be a bunch of cold silicates.

For the timelag: I think it's a better (not to mention simpler) solution to simply have the player embody all decision-makers in the nation: You're not just grand emperor, but also fleet admiral and colonial governor at the same time. With that said, I think it would be interesting to simulate lightspeed-lag by having things like colonial decentralization, where you get less control and authorithy in far-away colonies. Maybe in extreme cases you could even have colonies acting as independent nations, and once they build up a strong enough economic and industrial base, they could even go and explore, colonize and even wage wars on their own. This would, I think, be an interesting inversion of the ''traditional'' 4x structure, where you start with a number of ''civilizations'' that start out on roughly equal terms and then compete, and ultimately eliminate each other. Here instead, the ''mid-game'' would maybe look a bit like the paradox games, with a lot of nations in various states (some independent, some are subjects, some are doomed, some are on the rise). Maybe as the technology progresses, and faster ship drives leads to better communications and more centralization, you get to some kind of ''end-game'' where all the fledgling colonial nations, separatist states and other small independents get united into large interstellar empires.

How is ship movement going to work? Are you actually doing newtonian simulation and all that, or are you going aurora-style ships with top speeds?
How is ship design and contruction going to work?
How is time going to work? Turn based? Full Real Time? Europa Universalis-style pausable 24 hour ticks? Aurora-style selectable increments?
Will it be possible to modify game parameters? Things like making our own maps, or designing starting scenarios?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 03:15:40 am »

This looks pretty awesome. It really looks like the kind of Space 4x I would make if I had the ability (both in game design and programming) to make it.
Note that because of the aforementioned lack of game design and programming abilities, take everything I suggest with a pinch of salt. These ideas come from someone experienced with playing 4x games, but not making them.

This actually started off a simple starfield generator that I would use to make maps for a forum game. I ended up scrapping the forum game concept but keeping the code around and started messing with the code, adding some organization, building a UI template for future games, and so on. Big ideas start off small.

For the FTL-travel bit: I think it would be really nice if the distances between star systems would be significant not just for numbers but for gameplay. Make interstellar travel, even at higher tech-levels, an epic undertaking! I think it's interesting to ponder over how distance (in travel time) affects colonial undertakings, trade and economic patterns.

That was the intent. A lot of my inspiration comes from Count to a Trillion, where

The timescale might be hard to get right, but I think that it is plausible for a near-extinction of humanity to result in slowed research and scientific progress, so for the first century or so, you might have the scientific institutions just trying to rebuild the practical knowledge that was lost, and a population that isn't even past the one billion mark. I think it would be reasonable to have the game operate on a scale similar to the Paradox Interactive games like Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis, where a ''game'' might last for a few centuries, and the general progression of time when playing is at a Day/Second scale. One thing I really dislike in Star Ruler and Stardrive is how the time systems are so decoupled from the world: Stardrive just has ''Stardate'' that ticks up with turns, Star Ruler is even worse, it has actual real time as the time system! So a Dreadnaught might take 90 seconds to build and a game takes a few hours to complete. I really dislike this.

The current scale I'm considering is one second of real time = one hour of game time. This is enough that orbits are noticeable, but binary stars and moons don't orbit too fast. Low orbits for spacecraft will still be pretty fast onscreen, but visible. Obviously a fast-forward function would be ideal for those parts of the game where you just want to sit back and watch your minions do everything.
Still, medieval level societies (human, alien, and in-between) are something I'd like to have for gameplay purposes. When your colonists consist entirely of human embryos grown and cared for by robots, you get a lot of variance in the societies you find.

Also, one thing I really dislike with a lot of Space 4X games is how small and insignificant each system is. In a lot of these games, a typical system might be: One useful planet with resources, two barren ones, and a gas giant, maybe. Instead, I think it would be really nice if solar systems were realistically modelled, with a huge amount of various bodies with different compositions and so on.

Don't diss barren worlds. :P Mars, Venus, and Mercury are all sufficiently different with their own opportunities (cloud cities on Venus, mining and solar power on Mercury, Mars is probably the least interesting out of the three).

You are indeed correct however in noting that ingame systems tend to be smaller than real systems. This could be in part due to bad science, and also due to hardware/performance considerations. It is regrettable because there is a lot of interesting stuff that could happen in our solar system, and in a lot of games you might as well replace nearby stars with planets and their planets with moons and you'd still get the same gameplay. But that's the "space opera" syndrome, as I like to call it, where authors use space as a backdrop rather than a plot device.

In Aurora, you have the realistic amounts of bodies right, but the resource system in that game still makes it all pretty arbitrary. Planetary bodies that would be useful to colonize in reality (because of Arable land, water deposits, metallic deposits, strategic location, etc.) usually aren't in that game if they don't have the MacGuffiny ''Trans-newtonian'' resources.

MacGuffinite is a sad reality in a lot of SciFi settings, mainly because authors just want to have pretty backgrounds rather than use space as a true setting. The Martian is a great example of SciFi done right, as are a lot of older stories written during the golden age of sci-fi.

Of course, it would be realistic to have some bodies just be a bunch of cold silicates.

The further out you get, the less likely you are to get cold silicates and the more likely you are to get ice worlds/giants. I think the inner systems of a lot of stars will look much like ours: a close mercury-analogue, a farther Mars analogue, maybe a Venus-like world or a more benign desert-type planet in the slots between. Earth-twins might be rare, though, and some of them might even be ocean worlds rather than habitable Earth-like planets. I'm not sure how the weight of a global ocean would affect plate tectonics.

Past the frost line you can get lots of interesting stuff like mini neptunes, gas giants, giant ice worlds, Titan-analogues, and maybe planets with exotic features like ammonia or liquid nitrogen seas.

For the timelag: I think it's a better (not to mention simpler) solution to simply have the player embody all decision-makers in the nation: You're not just grand emperor, but also fleet admiral and colonial governor at the same time. With that said, I think it would be interesting to simulate lightspeed-lag by having things like colonial decentralization, where you get less control and authorithy in far-away colonies. Maybe in extreme cases you could even have colonies acting as independent nations, and once they build up a strong enough economic and industrial base, they could even go and explore, colonize and even wage wars on their own. This would, I think, be an interesting inversion of the ''traditional'' 4x structure, where you start with a number of ''civilizations'' that start out on roughly equal terms and then compete, and ultimately eliminate each other. Here instead, the ''mid-game'' would maybe look a bit like the paradox games, with a lot of nations in various states (some independent, some are subjects, some are doomed, some are on the rise). Maybe as the technology progresses, and faster ship drives leads to better communications and more centralization, you get to some kind of ''end-game'' where all the fledgling colonial nations, separatist states and other small independents get united into large interstellar empires.

An EUIV-style control approach works well for these kinds of games, although I predict that systems will be highly independent of each other from the beginning. It's rather hard to order someone around when it will take decades to get there. I'd expect early "Empires" to be like-minded groups of systems with shared cultural backgrounds under some sort of non-aggression agreement, rather than a typical Endless Space or GalCiv start. Conquests could happen, although each participant would have to carefully weigh the resources they expend rather than faceroll neighbors. You would probably see a lot more proxy war or indirect conquest (such as immigration) rather than full-on invasions, although there is room for a highly developed civilization to send fleets around bullying people.

How is ship movement going to work? Are you actually doing newtonian simulation and all that, or are you going aurora-style ships with top speeds?

Orbits are already in, elliptical ones at least. I had a go at hyperbolic trajectories in the past, and it wasn't extremely successful, but when I get time I can try to implement them again. It's not hard to calculate orbital elements given a starting velocity and position, so it'll be mainly two-body orbital transfers early on, and later you can get brachistochrone straight-line trajectories with a strong enough drive.

How is ship design and contruction going to work?

I don't like how a lot of 4X games require you to spend time designing ships rather than playing the game. While nifty, StarDrive's system is very time consuming, for example. Endless Space does it in a simple and elegant way, although I long for a system where you can just check some boxes, tweak some sliders, and have your subordinates crank out a ship that meets the specifications. Forcing players to manually place individual parts just seems wrong for a game like this, although the intent (increased customization) is noble.

Pausable RTS seems like the best way to go, perhaps with a "pseudo turn-based mode" as a toggle that pauses whenever there are important decisions to make.

Will it be possible to modify game parameters? Things like making our own maps, or designing starting scenarios?

So far a lot (most of the game's code) is in external files, but everything is procedurally generated. Even planet maps are remade every time you reload the game and click on it, so there is little room for a scenario editor or the like, although I plan to have an EU4-style system where you can choose any existing faction to play as. That way you could use a savegame as a custom starting scenario.

It's currently just a world-gen engine right now, although I'm at a point where I can start adding gameplay features in the form of planetary settlements.
Pages: 1 [2] 3