Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: An unsuspecting merchant has arrived!  (Read 4341 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
An unsuspecting merchant has arrived!
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »

I wonder why, with divine metal, angels, vaults, and other new fun things being introduced, why do we only get to experience them in adventure mode without a lot of effort? My proposal is to introduce an event, weighed the same as a dragon or hydra attack, based on population and wealth, that involves a single merchant and donkey appearing on the map. He'd slowly make his way to your trade depot, bringing what looks to be a small amount of goods. Then, upon opening the trade menu, you see it- this unsuspecting merchant is most likely sent by Armok himself. Masterwork and superior steel items, rare gems by the bucketfull, aluminum trade goods, bones from rare animals, all the things you'd toil away forever carried in on one donkey. But, when you try to leave that screen, he says "Wait! There's more." Or something similar, and if you agree to continue trading, a menu full of bars of divine metals and basic items made of them will be revealed. Not only does this merchant carry prized and hard earned items, but he comes with regularily unobtainable metals for you, in small amounts, of course. Since there are so many types of divine metal per world, you most likely couldn't make large objects out of them without exploits or waiting for the rare chance this merchant will show up again.

So what do you think? I've always thought that someone should be carrying stolen metals from the vaults, ever since I saw once in legends mode a kobold who snuck into a vault and stole a sword. The prices would be high, but most likely worthit, to get masterwork goods and average quality divine metal goods.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:07:12 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An unsuspecting merchant has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:56:02 pm »

one problem, you can seize goods from traders, do you know how OP this trader is, if he's unlikely to come back, why not just take his stuff

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 05:15:39 pm »

Hm... Hadn't thought about that, I've never used it. Maybe he's decked out in divine metal, and will attack if you try anything weird? Don't know. I always forget about people who'll be jerks to things. It does make a lot of sense that he'd be really tough, considering how much divine metal he has, he probably killed a couple angels.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 05:24:52 pm »

Hm... Hadn't thought about that, I've never used it. Maybe he's decked out in divine metal, and will attack if you try anything weird? Don't know. I always forget about people who'll be jerks to things. It does make a lot of sense that he'd be really tough, considering how much divine metal he has, he probably killed a couple angels.
That sounds like a good way to stop people from doing that, making the trader actually stronger than a boss angel. Angels are really tough so that should probably be enough to at least kill any dwarves nearby and then a significant amount of your military.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:20:34 pm »

you can seize without fighting, and sending 10 marksdwarves with steel bolts will easily defeat him, max skills and divine metal or not
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:22:06 pm by Pwned dwarf »

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 06:22:55 pm »

plus armor can't save you from dwarf's best friend

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 06:30:47 pm »

I'm saying he'd fight if you seize it. And if you're going to throw magma at him, you're kind of killing the entire purpose of weapons and armour. (Personal opinion, magma is cowardly)

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 06:39:08 pm »

steel and divine metal doesn't melt in magma, and the crossbowdwarf solution works too

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 07:00:15 pm »

you can seize without fighting, and sending 10 marksdwarves with steel bolts will easily defeat him, max skills and divine metal or not
I've just done a test and steel bolts cannot pierce divine metal armor, I had every piece of armor get hit at least once and the most damage taken was a slight bruise to the fat of a spot only covered by a chain shirt. It was in arena so there were no quality levels, but the bolt's quality level would probably be negated by the armor's quality level and then the merchant is going to be dodging, blocking, and batting bolts out of the way so I think sending ten marksdwarves against the merchant is just sending them to die.
EDIT: I just did some further tests and it turns out that divine metal axes can't pierce divine metal and divine metal is definitely sharper than steel, so I think full divine armor is enough to discourage you from stealing. I mean maybe if you have a bunch of masterwork adamantine equipment, but then what's the point?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:04:55 pm by vjmdhzgr »
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

yxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 07:15:46 pm »

well when magic arrives... it could have some sort of teletransporting spell from his hidden secret wherever ...
so killing it will give you almost nothing

but why the trader its going to give you his high rare/epic loot for your master-crafts ??? he should ask for weird things,
masterwork armors/weapons, gold, adamantine, gems with magic properties, even artifacts

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »

Magic is 2-3 major sections away. Just saying.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 12:36:28 pm »

magma, or bridge over cage traps
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:38:40 pm by Pwned dwarf »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »

You can't seize the trade shipments from your own civ.  If that outcome were desired, you could just use the same code to prevent you from stealing from the lone merchant. 

Or, if you want to really punish people for their impure thoughts, you could make the merchant transform into some kind of divine megabeast if he gets angered. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 09:55:53 pm »

You can't seize the trade shipments from your own civ.  If that outcome were desired, you could just use the same code to prevent you from stealing from the lone merchant. 

Or, if you want to really punish people for their impure thoughts, you could make the merchant transform into some kind of divine megabeast if he gets angered.
It's less direct seizing and more murder-the-trader-to-nab-his-stuff. You can still get free stuff from the caravans from your civ by just murdering everyone via drowning trap/magmaroom. That's the problem here.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 09:58:14 pm »

Ooh, I like that last one!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4