Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: An unsuspecting merchant has arrived!  (Read 4367 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: An unsuspecting merchant has arrived!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 11:50:44 pm »

Everybody's coming up with all these ways to kill the merchant, but really just full masterwork divine armor, legendary in all fighting skills, 5,000 in every attribute [TRAP_IMMUNE], [FIRE_IMMUNE_SUPER], and [NO_BREATHE] will easily make him immune to all but an obsidian trap in which case you're obsidianizing the goods as well so there's no point.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 12:13:02 am »

Everybody's coming up with all these ways to kill the merchant, but really just full masterwork divine armor, legendary in all fighting skills, 5,000 in every attribute [TRAP_IMMUNE], [FIRE_IMMUNE_SUPER], and [NO_BREATHE] will easily make him immune to all but an obsidian trap in which case you're obsidianizing the goods as well so there's no point.
Don't the goods survive obsidianization?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 04:59:12 pm »

I don't see why his goods just can't be in a 'bag of holding' that only he is able to open and you just CAN'T steal from him dead-man switch style?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 05:04:07 pm »

I guess that could be a feasible option as well. I really did like the idea of him going on a rampage if you try to steal from him, though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »

I was under the impression nothing survives obsidianization.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure that magma-proof items survive and are just entombed in the stone.
Quote from: Wiki
All magma-safe items will be entombed in the tile, and can be regained by mining it along with any magma-unsafe items that happened to survive the casting process.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 05:40:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure that magma-proof items survive and are just entombed in the stone.
All magma-safe items will be entombed in the tile, and can be regained by mining it along with any magma-unsafe items that happened to survive the casting process.
Hm. Alright then. I still think it's best that we make it possible to try to steal from the merchant, but make the merchant ridiculously, like, entire military destroying powerful. So I guess the only way to solve that obsidianizing problem would be to code in a new ability for some creatures to be able to survive it. I'm thinking maybe just have it so if that creature stands in magma or water, that magma or water can not be turned into obsidian, or the more fun way of making it seem like the trap kills them, but then you send your miner over and the merchants explodes out of the rock and kills the miner. The items could also be tied to the merchant's life so if they die the items disappear or maybe turn to lead or something worhtless like that, but I think it would be better to present an impossible obstacle with an actual reward for overcoming it rather than a cruel joke.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 05:51:30 pm »

Hm. Alright then. I still think it's best that we make it possible to try to steal from the merchant, but make the merchant ridiculously, like, entire military destroying powerful. So I guess the only way to solve that obsidianizing problem would be to code in a new ability for some creatures to be able to survive it. I'm thinking maybe just have it so if that creature stands in magma or water, that magma or water can not be turned into obsidian, or the more fun way of making it seem like the trap kills them, but then you send your miner over and the merchants explodes out of the rock and kills the miner. The items could also be tied to the merchant's life so if they die the items disappear or maybe turn to lead or something worhtless like that, but I think it would be better to present an impossible obstacle with an actual reward for overcoming it rather than a cruel joke.

It could be that he drops a stone, that boils at room temperature, that turns all items it touches to lead. That'd be kind of funny, intercept him in adv. mode, kill him by being a zombie vampire necromancer, after a long fight, you're stuck under a lead inventory.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 06:15:02 pm »

[TRAP_IMMUNE] has two catches, a unconcious creature will ALWAYS be trapped, and a webbed trap traps anything that doesn't spin webs. A siege weapon will wreck him, since armor defends against blunt attacks less, catapults with cinnabar, the heaviest stone you can get without exploits. Or even some other stone. The only reason why catapults are worse than ballistas is since Ballistas pierce through enemies and are edged. So the Catapults superior blunt damage and ignoring allies makes it pathetically easy to kill him. A single hit to a leg will knock him over, a hit to the head could knock him unconscious or just kill him. Since most body parts have bones, any hit could make him give into pain from a bone fracture. If you find a way to bypass that, just make a bridge over a pit that has spikes at the bottom. Which will make him explode AND get all his organs impaled.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:20:13 pm by Pwned dwarf »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 06:23:04 pm »

So, obsidianization still takes time, doesn't it?  If the merchant is magma-safe, couldn't he just leave?  (Of course an AI that can move away from harmful substances is a whole nother suggestion...)
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 06:26:09 pm »

[TRAP_IMMUNE] has two catches, a unconcious creature will ALWAYS be trapped, and a webbed trap traps anything that doesn't spin webs. A siege weapon will wreck him, since armor defends against blunt attacks less, catapults with cinnabar, the heaviest stone you can get without exploits. Or even some other stone. The only reason why catapults are worse than ballistas is since Ballistas pierce through enemies and are edged. So the Catapults superior blunt damage and ignoring allies makes it pathetically easy to kill him. A single hit to a leg will knock him over, a hit to the head could knock him unconscious or just kill him. Since most body parts have bones, any hit could make him give into pain from a bone fracture. If you find a way to bypass that, just make a bridge over a pit that has spikes at the bottom. Which will make him explode AND get all his organs impaled.
[NOPAIN] [NOEXERT]
EDIT: also [WEB_IMMUNE] forgot that one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:38:55 pm by vjmdhzgr »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:33:46 pm »

Um, have you never used a catapult? They're far from precision striking, and couldn't kill a badger.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 06:40:20 pm »

Um, have you never used a catapult? They're far from precision striking, and couldn't kill a badger.
Then you add more catapults. What you lose in accuracy you recoup in sheer number. :P

Or, ya'know, use a water cannon or shotgun for all the benefits of a salvo (and more) at the cost of being harder to setup.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 06:45:33 pm »

Then you add more catapults. What you lose in accuracy you recoup in sheer number. :P

Or, ya'know, use a water cannon or shotgun for all the benefits of a salvo (and more) at the cost of being harder to setup.

I thought those got nerfed with the whole velocity thing?

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:13 pm »

I thought those got nerfed with the whole velocity thing?
Really? Dang. Hadn't heard of that. Could you link some stuff pointing to that to me if you can find it please? I'm interested as to how.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4