Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your dream game...  (Read 7722 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Your dream game...
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:41:00 am »

Well recently I was thinking about this, since all of the current games what we have are all become boring after a short period. Dwarf Fortress is already more interesting than the current "high end" games.
So, basically I was thinking that what game would I like to see sometime. [I know that I wont see a game like this ever what I will post about here, since it would be very complex sadly..but ah well dreaming is good also!        :)

[ August 09, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Your dream game...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

I have come up with many original game ideas, several of which I've actually taken the time to type out descriptions and game mechanics for.  Unfortunately, I am coding retarded no matter how many years of my life I spend trying to learn, so the games never come to life.  My favorite idea is a MMORPG where the world is always changing.  There is never a chance to get bored, because new world events are always changing the gameplay.  One day it is most lucrative to be a fighting character, and the next it is most lucrative to be a farmer.  The next day, something happens to make the soil infertile and it's up to the players to band together to fight the food shortage.  I even started writing a long storyline for such a game, which would run itself once set in motion and would have a definite ending, but I sort of gave up on it when I found that nobody was going to code it.

I have other ideas too, all of them outside the mold of conventional games.  If anyone here is interested, I'd be happy to share the preliminary outlines.  I've changed all the ideas considerably since writing the outlines, but they will at least give a general idea of what the game would be like.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

I had a dream game once. Then Hitman came along. Nuff said.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

Once I would have said "Hitman meets GTA.  With, oh, I don't know, a lightsaber."  But they're making it already.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

quote:
My favorite idea is a MMORPG where the world is always changing.  There is never a chance to get bored, because new world events are always changing the gameplay.  One day it is most lucrative to be a fighting character, and the next it is most lucrative to be a farmer.  The next day, something happens to make the soil infertile and it's up to the players to band together to fight the food shortage.  I even started writing a long storyline for such a game, which would run itself once set in motion and would have a definite ending, but I sort of gave up on it when I found that nobody was going to code it.[/QB]

I suggest you learn to play a pen and paper RPG (like dungeons and dragons), and use that storyline idea... No coding, no fuss... and you can enjoy it.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 03:33:00 am »

A game with 100% realistic physics right down to the subatomic level, but you can change the laws of physics at will. You and watch the universe take shape, with occasional changes on your part. Sadly, you would need a planet sized computer to play it.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »

A 2D side scrolling game based on Halo 1, 2, 3 and Star Wars 1 to 6, with realistic physics, fluids and also ragdoll physics. Like John-117 is fighing some jackals wielding red lightsabers while 117 and Keyes are trying to kill them using blue and green lightsabers. I forgot to mention that there should be no hitpoints, only bodyparts that can be chopped off and that everything should be destroyable.

[ August 13, 2007: Message edited by: Bien ]

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 03:20:00 am »

Grek's idea.

Barring a holodeck, I'm actually working (albeit slowly) on making one of my dream games - a post-apocalyptic open-ended survival game incorporating psychology in both PCs and NPCs (influenced by childhood and present conditions), as well as the ability to influence them to follow you, work with you, etc.

Of course, I've had a lot of other ideas, but surprisingly, this one is the most feasible  ;)

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »

I used to have a notepad with ideas all through it. Most of the ideas revolved around the idea of having very large amounts of weapons. As I recall, one RPG Maker XP game I started had close to the stock max numbers of weapons, armor, and items. I guess that means my dream game would be an RPG with unlimited numbers of levels and equipment that just keeps getting better. Kinda like Progress Quest, if you've ever "played" that.

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Haedrian:
<STRONG>

I suggest you learn to play a pen and paper RPG (like dungeons and dragons), and use that storyline idea... No coding, no fuss... and you can enjoy it.</STRONG>

I was going to post the same thing. The only real limit is the extent of your creativity.

You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

Actually, there are other limits.  Like the number of people playing it, and the amount of gaming that can be done within a time limit.  I want to create a persistent world with lots of players that runs even when I'm not around.  Plus, I'm big into games with trade skills, and I've never met a paper-and-dice gamer who wanted to spend several rounds attempting to farm their food.  Some things just aren't suited to tabletop games, and I have a lot of them in my game ideas.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

I can never figure out why, but whenever I see someone roleplaying I actually start to get angry/sick.  It seems like a good idea to me, I love the concept, but for some reason my stomach just twists into a ball of illogical fury.  For instance, I used to play WoW (only for about a month) and was in a RP server.  Some dude comes on and starts RPing about how he's lost his memory and how everything seems so familiar.  I don't know WHY but I couldn't stop thinking about how DUMB the guy sounded.  Oh well.

(One of) my perfect game(s) would be the type of game you could get going and then just sit back and watch.  I like sim games, spore is probably the closest thing so far to what I want, and I'd love to see a game where the AI actually develop their own civilizations, languages, inventions, science, theology, works of art, and everything else all on their own.  It'd be less of a game and more of a, well, universe sim.  The player would be able to edit the basic physics, the game would generate the rest as needed.  Players could share their config files so as to allow for more complicated universal-laws.  I don't know, it would just be so AWESOME to see what comes up based on what happens/how you intervene.  Think DF times a million.

Sedil Locunad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

My dream game...

The current game I've got going in my head is spawned off of Dwarf Fortress's world generation.  It's a sim of a fantasy world.

The player would be able to set the starting races (all of the races that are there at the beginning) and can add any other race at any time and where they initially settle.  This includes offshoots (such as Drow) or a player-spawned new kingdom of an older race.  The player can even set some normal race as an offshoot of some other normal race (say gnomes and halfings are offshoots of dwarves or something) as well as set relations to other races and the 'parent' race.

Each race can build cities and create more cities if certain conditions are met.  These new cities can then join the old one to form a kingdom or become independent.  This is dependent on a the cohesiveness of the race and the reasons a new city was needed, as well as smaller things like distance from starting city with a bit of randomness for good measure.  For example: a nearby fishing village is likely to stay in the kingdom where as a far-flung forest outpost might think twice about taxation without representation.

Each kingdom gets the chance to discover/upgrade/trade/steal technology pending on population and creativity of that race.  Each technology has it's own levels of what it needs in both pop, creativity, and resources.  If a kingdom meets these, then there is a chance that it will be discovered.  Elves and their kin are likely to get things early, but they might need to rely on the humans for things after that.

Alliances and wars are made and fought based on many things, such as resourses, racial disposition, the races' history, and racial prejudices.  The last one can be played around with by the player before the race is set, so Elves and Orcs need not hate one another instantly (If Fredrik K.T. Andersson can have Elf-Orc crossbreds, so can I, muwahaha...).

I've even envisioned some of the coding.  When they send/expel an group to start a new city, they use a wandering function.  When they see something they like, bee-line and set up camp.  If they are a part of a kingdom, A* back to the starting city.  Also, use ant AI to create roads (the more travelers use a path, the more 'pheromones' they drop, the more pheromones, the better the road.)

Wow.  That's more than I though I knew about my own game.  Sorry it got so long, I think I'll just plop this down into it's own Executive Document so it too can  be one step closer to realization.

quot;What am I?  ...Sorry, can''t answer what I don''t know."
-My Character

Trivia - My current online name is a dwarven translation of my regular online moniker.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

yeah I've thought that my game wouldn't be original...but...

My dream game:
It would be split to some game modes, but you can move to the next mode only if you played all availble(I don;t know the grammar for this word   :roll: )
First, you are the very first god in the whole multi werse, you create suns, planets, and the whole galactic evens you want!
Then after you created the very first life you must create succesors to watch out for every single planet(like creating an adventurer)

After that you must watch out for your race(you create creatures just like in spore)
there woudn't be any items, plants and such! Only reactions, like sharp rock attached to a stick makes a spear.

And when you are bored then you make a nice armageddon, and the score counts
(nice armageddon gives a lot of points)

heck...
PS Sorry for my bad english
PS 2 SPORE MUST COME OUT SOONER!!!

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 04:24:00 am »

My first thought when I read through this post was "Hey, you're describing Dominions!" It's not a perfect match, but I'll detail the differences below.

Links to the official site: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm
and demo: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/6.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
Game concept: Turn based strategy game check
Setting: Fantasy check
Main features:
-Randomly generated worlds check, random map generator available

-The player would control the ruler itself. If the ruler dies, the game is over if the ruler doesnt had any successors. Kind of; the player controls a being pretending to be a god. If the pretender dies, priests can recall him. If no one believes in his divinity, the game is over.

-Class system [The ruler, the soldiers etc. would be able to specialize themselves in many ways.]No. Single units/commanders only fill a spesific role, or at most few roles; however, all races have units/commanders/summons to fill almost all roles classes would. For commanders, some of the  roles they are used in include army leaders, priests (morale buffs), battlecaster/buffers, battlecaster/destroyers, caster/summoners (out of battle), caster/destroyer (out of battle), thug (can kills dozens of units on his own), super-combatant (can kill armies on his own), scouts/spies/assassins (information, massed spies/assassin have special uses)

-Race system [There would be lot of different races available in the game: humans, orcs, goblins, elves, etc.]Check. No orcs, dwarves or elves, though. Human nations inspired by early romans, east/west romans, barbarians, arthurian legends, greek/persian, spanish/french inquisition, tales of transylvania, african culture, south-american bloodcults etc etc; elf-like beings shrouding themselves in illusions and appearing from nowhere to raid and kill and maim, in Irish (tuatha de danaan) and viking (Vanir, descendants of the Aesir i.e. Odin, Thor & co) flavour; Jotun, the frost giants, and their colossal Niefel ancestors/goblinoid Vaetti allies; Abysians whose very bodies are aflame; winged magocracy of Caelians; amphibious, frog-like Atlantians; aquatic aboleths of R'lyeh and the illithids whose falling star-city later destroyed the Aboleth culture... In each of the games three Ages, there are more races than most other games, and that's when the human nations are counted together. They're often just as different from each other than they are from the non-humans.

-Experience & abilities [dexterity, strength etc. for all creatures. Creatures can gain levels and raise their abilities]Check; all units have strength, attack, defence, precision, encumberance, etc etc; experience increases attack, defence and precision quickly, and high levels of experience offer small bonuses to strength, encumberance, even hp. However, the maximum is five starts (levels), and normal units above 3 stars are very rare indeed.

-Province system Check, maps consist of provinces of varying sizes.

-City system [More cities would be allowed to have in a province, depending on the size of the province]No. No city-building, population just is, and the most you can do is raise taxes and patrol, killing population for more money. You can build temples to spread dominion, and allow the recruitment of priests if they are available, or laboratories, to transfer magical items, recruit mages (again, only if available in the province) and research, but that's it. You can build castles, though.

-Castle system [Castles would be mainly military bases in a province]Check, castles allow recruitment of national units, must be besieged before province can be conquered and protect the defenders when the gate is breached. Without castles, you can only recruit the independents you conquered that province from, most often light/medium human infantries with slinger or archer support, but sometimes knights/longbowmen, or even mages. Hoburgs (halflings), the four amazon tribes, the various totemic tribes and druids are some examples of the independent mages.

-Resource system [food, minerals etc.]Check; units are bought with gold (training) and resources (equipment). "Resources" is the name of the resource. For magic, each path has its own resource, all collected automatically from sites that have to be searched for, except for blood slaves, which must be hunted from well-populated provinces. Supplies could be considered a resource, they keep armies from starving.

-Very detailed military system [The player would be allowed to equip EACH of the soldiers if he wants. The player would be allowed to design military units depending on the available equipment. This would mean that the combinations would be almost endless. It would all depend on, that what equipments are available. This would be linked to research mainly] Check. It's detailed, but there's no unit customization. All nations have several unit types, though, and if they're limited that's been done on purpose. The smallest army lineup in the game has light/medium/heavy inafntries, non-human medium infantry with heap of special abilities (strong, magic resistant, no supplies, siege bonus, amphibious but one-eyed, poor att/def, cold-blooded) and non-human, giant-sized infantry with the same special abilities. Their first goal is to recruit independent missile units and summon constructs/golems who get extra hp. Other nations can easily have dozen units.

-Research system [This would work like in the Civizliation series] Check, 7 schools of magic, for summoning, buffs, damage spells, magic items/golems, undead/golems/protection spells, save-or-die spells and finally, for blood sacrifice/demons/corruption; all with dozens of exceptions. Each school has 9 levels, from summoning undead scouts or throwing sparks (1) to calling forth elementals in battle or creating armies (25 and up per casting) of illusionary beings (5) to Wish, Flames from the Sky (which won't kill more than half the army in target province), or sending the Kindly Ones to hunt for enemy priests and blood mages wherever they might be (9). Once a global ritual, like the Kindly Ones, has been cast, it stays up until destroyed. So the Kindly Ones will kill, Eyes of the God will observe and Wrathful Skies will continue to blast until the spell is dispelled, the caster is dead, or the creatures (e.g. Wild Hunt) defeated.

-Border system [Players wouldnt simply control cities or provinces, but depending on the size of the cities/forts, the number of outposts etc, the players would control territories]None, unless you count the  religion system.  

-Very detailed diplomacy system [Something like the Civilization diplo system. Players would be able to make vassals, sign treaties, ask for military help, etc. and vice versa] No diplomacy system for single-player.

-2d or isometric tile based graphics. To be honest I dont like 3d. I always said that the best is the 2d or isometric graphics for a real strategy game.Check: 2d maps, 2d sprites fighting against pseudo-3d battlegrounds

-Turn based tactical combat. The players would be able to control each of their soldiers if the want, however there would be many options for this. [Control all soldiers/Control squads etc. The battles would be played on zoomed on maps -> something like the Age of Wonders battle system] No. You give your units orders BEFORE the battle. Once the battle start, they'll follow the orders (or sometimes not), and you can no longer affect the battle. All battles are fought between turns, so armies move simultaneously, so one army can't fight in multiple provinces in one turn.

-Magic system [There would be different magic schools. There would be specific units like mages, priests etc. to cast the spells, however the ruler itself would be able to use magic also, depending on his class] Check. 7 Schools of magic to research, 8 Paths of magic which control the type of spells available (four elements, Astral for mind, Death for necromancy, Nature, and Blood), about 700 spells IIRC, hundreds of magical items... Priests are limited to just few spells: banishing undead/demons, blessing sacred units, morale-increasing spells, and smiting/paralyzing the enemy for the really powerful ones. However, priest-mages are common. Your pretender will often be your most powerful mage. When fire-based nation might be able to recruit Fire 3 mage, who can get a random pick for further Fire 4, and have a very small chance for even Fire 5, and might be able to eventually forge an item for +1... Fire 5 is enough to summon a King of Elemental Fire (there are just 2, because the third one was corrupted) your pretender can start with Fire 9. It gives your priests sacred units attack bonuses and flaming weapons, and besides being able to cast all fire spells there are some very nice battlefield spells whose area of effect scales with power...

-Relations [This would be also a very important part of the game. The player's actions would have effect on many things in the game. - Relations with his own people in the empire, with the other empires etc. Linked to this, the player would be able to arrange marriages etc. Certain races wouldnt like eachother. This would be linked to the relations & diplomacy system] None, except for the dominion system.

-Religion system [There would be various gods in the game.] Faith in a spesific pretender is shown as dominion that spreads on the map. Troops in own dominion have better morale, and your pretender/prophet get hefty bonuses, and in your dominion the very land changes for your image (chosen in game creation, e.g. death, sloth and turmoil to afford fortune, research bonuses and flaming weapons for your sacred units). To afford more powerful pretender forms (Sphinx is immobile, so it is cheap; Phoenix is immortal, but physically weak, so its base form is cheap - but buying it magic is more expensive; a Sun Disc, who spreads heat in the province he is in and is rather tough, flies and master of Fire magic, is already quite expensive, you can either take negative scales (turmoil, sloth, death, misfortune, drain) or let your pretender be dormant or imprisoned in the beginning, only available after a year or several of game time (1 year = 12 turns).

-Leader/Generals system [In order to create an army it would be needed to have certains special units -generals for example. Depending on the skill of that special unit, various numbers of soldiers could consist that army. The leaders would also give various bonuses to the army what hes leading]Armies won't move unless a commander is there leading them. Some commanders keep units around them from routing, but most are just for moving the troops around. There are three types of leadership: mundane units, magical units, and undead/demons. Mages can lead either magical or undead/demons, depending on their type, but typically only few mundane units, and most mortal army leaders can't lead magical/undead units.

-Special sites system. Caves, ruins etc in all over the generated game world. Treaures, dangerous monsters, special encounters etc.The game has Sites. In every province, there may be up to four magical sites that have to be searched for. Sites are categorized by path and power. One Fire 1 site might generate one fire gem per turn. Fire 3 site ' Volcano' increases Heat scale and generate 3 fire gems per turn. A rare Water 2 site 'Mount Frost' increases Cold scale, produce 2 water gems and allow any Water mage to enter the site to summon 2 Winter Wolves per turn. Anyone searching the province will find some low-level sites, like Brigand Lairs that allow the recruitment of stealthy archers. There are few priestly sites, like Monastery of Light that decreases unrest and allows the recruitment of priests.

-Job system [for the peasants & civilians. There would be many different kind of jobs available from farmer to beast tamers]None whatsoever. No civilians are ever seen, unless you count the virgins captured as blood slaves.

[ September 16, 2007: Message edited by: Janne Joensuu ]

Janne )`*
Pages: [1] 2