Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need pixel/3D artists for games  (Read 2056 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need pixel/3D artists for games
« on: March 21, 2016, 03:17:47 am »

Hey, as probably next to nobody knows, I'm currently studying a bachelor's degree in game development. What fun! Well, the short story is that I have about 7 weeks to produce a game for my current trimester, and it's kinda of short on artists around here. So I thought, where better to ask for help with making a cool looking demo than on Bay12's creative projects?

I'm basically an impoverished student, but still, I don't like asking people to help me out for free, so I can sling people some Steam/Humble Bundle gifts and the like for helping me out here. Long-term I'm looking to release on of these games on Google Play, and would be looking for people to help create a substantial amount of artwork for it.

At the moment I'm just looking for people willing to express interest in helping out, even just a little (a few tiles, sprites or even one 3D model). As for the actual game, currently I'm tossing up two possible projects. One is more code-heavy and would basically need a smattering of 3D models, and the other is more art-heavy, and would need some mix of models and pixel-art.

Spoiler: Space Game (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguelike Game (click to show/hide)

Let me know what you think, and I'll take on board any suggestions regarding feasibility and other ways to get the artwork I need.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:21:50 pm by Reelya »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Need pixel/3D artists for games - can pay (a little)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 05:53:06 am »

Bullet hells may be a better project considering the time allotted to you.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 07:02:57 am »

I already made something 2D shooterish last year, so I need to make something different now.

The 3D space game is my "easy" option. It's based on this code I wrote from scratch back in 2011 for procedurally generating solar systems. Since that's all proc-gen graphics for the planets, I only need to expand the exploration part and add some game features, such as space-station docking, trading and battles. All the assets needed are HUD, UI, space station/ships, menus, splash screen etc. So that's my backup plan, since it's almost all dirty coder greasework I can do anytime.

However, the graphical roguelike is the one I actually would prefer to make right now, so I can incorporate a lot of nice graphics (and also because of that marketing thing I hinted at. I have a good hook for this one, and roguelikes can be successful for a small team, but right now epic proc-gen space games is a saturated market with huge budgets).

BTW one of my lecturers is the author of Sprite Lamp. It's basically a utility in which you can import a number of flat sprites "lit" from different directions, and it works out a 3D normal map so that you can have dynamic lighting on your pixel art. Check it out it's really cool (though it's not free sadly). This is one thing I'd love to incorporate into the roguelike's look. There would be nothing better than to have a torch cast dynamic lighting onto the 2D game. Hmm, I'm wondering whether I can hit my lecturer up for a cheaper copy.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 07:43:08 am »

Oh wow, Sprite Lamp? Nice! I got that thing in a Humble Bundle, it's pretty cool. Unfortunately, my typical cel-shaded style doesn't work very well with it, if initial experiments are any indication. :v
Anyhoo, even if i do have a few projects going on myself, i could probably (try to) supply some pixel art things, depending on the size of them. This leads directly to my first question: How big are the sprites/tiles going to be, roughly? If they're like way big, i'm probably going to have patience problems. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 08:15:11 am »

for the roguelike idea:

The main parts are
 - environment (floors and walls (2D), wall torch (3D) and treasure chest (2D) )
 - enemies
 - UI / menu

If you have limited time to invest, then you'd want to do something like environment. My idea for this is different dungeon surfaces that have been lit with sprite lamp, so I can have wall torches and character lighting that lights up the ground and rear walls. You'd be able to contribute as much or as little as you have time for.

For characters, my current thinking is to make them sort of look like Binding of Isaac level of detail. i.e. at minimum, three directions of view (up, down and mirrored left/right), with a handful of animation frames per character (walk, attack and death). So these would basically involve the creation of sprite sheets. These would then be billboarded sprites in a 3D-rendered level. The overall size of the individual image then wouldn't make too much difference: they'd be drawn as line art.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:50:25 am »

Environment it is, then, at least for now. I'm not quite sure i understand what you mean about the image size, though? I mean, usually, resolution is very important for 2D pixel art sprites, since it both has a huge influence on the time required to make them and the possible level of detail. That, and they scale very badly in comparison to vector- or 3D graphics. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:55:24 am »

16x16 grids?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 06:47:54 pm »

I think rendering out some character sprites from simple 3d models would be pretty easy for me.  If you want to offer some design direction and target specs I could put out a sample and see if you like it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:59:21 am »

I can supply pixel art of both fantasy and scifi types .
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 05:21:24 am »

I can help out with 3d models. I could use the practice with something other than just buildings, which is what I do for work.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:20:01 pm »

Any updates on this?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 05:43:09 pm »

Ooh yeah sorry I've been pretty busy and didn't get much feedback. In the end I decided to go with the 3D space game, because I could make that with less art assets than the 2D/Roguelike idea (though I plan to work on that in the future). I'll have some demo's uploaded sometime to show everyone.

After that I've teamed up with several game designers at the college who didn't have a project to work on, which is a mixed blessing. I'm spending much more time doing project paperwork because of it, but hopefully we'll get some great artwork out of it to spice up the final game.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:29:18 pm by Reelya »

Zonalar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 09:00:47 am »

I wish you good luck with your project :)