Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Temple of the Elements  (Read 14299 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Temple of the Elements
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:20 pm »

Well, once the game is finished the skill trees should be randomly generated each play through. But they should be awesome, yes.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 11:50:11 am »

Alright, here's another demo. At this point the game is pretty much done except for the Procedural Generation and the sprites.

The Demo should work for windows, mac and linux. If you're on mac or linux you ma need to open up terminal and run the appropriate start script - thats run.sh for linux and mac-run.sh for mac. You will need java 8 in order to run it, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:00:25 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 12:43:04 pm »

ptw
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 08:38:46 pm »

Alright, here's another demo. At this point the game is pretty much done except for the Procedural Generation and the sprites.

The Demo should work for windows, mac and linux. If you're on mac or linux you ma need to open up terminal and run the appropriate start script - thats run.sh for linux and mac-run.sh for mac.
You have to make sure to navigate to the folder in terminal first before you try to run it. The folder the file is in is called "dist", and that folder is in my Downloads directory, so I'd enter:
Code: [Select]
cd ~/Downloads/dist

Then I'd enter:
./mac-run.sh^^The run code is "./" plus the file name and the extension. And then it should run.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 08:41:24 pm »

Sweet, so it runs for you? What do you think?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 03:09:57 am »

Alright, so I seem to have come down with a bad case of programmers block. I'm trying to figure out how I want the random generation for enemies and items to work, and I can't seem to make up my mind. I know I want the items to work more or less like diablo II, but the enemies escape my grasp. I know I want enemies to have different kinds of AI behaviour, and different stats, and some get random abilities - but I can't decide how I want to go about generating these. It's like writers block - I just can't decide how to proceed. Any advice?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 03:30:17 am »

Yeah I wish I could think of a good system for how the enemy generation would work. I wish there were more analyses of the algorithms behind some video games.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 04:06:42 pm »

Alright, so I've got a basic monster generator that I can expand on. Now I need to redo the ability tree generator. It's being a giant pain in the ass though, so I was hoping to maybe discuss it with other people, just to get my gears spinning? You don't actually need to really need to contribute anything, so don't worry about that. I just need to shake my brain down and put my thoughts in order, and trying to express them to other people helps do that. So go ahead and ask any questions you might have.

Anyway, this thing is supposed to generate a skill tree. The nodes on this tree will contain both new abilities, as well as boosts to existing abilities and increased stats. Right now I have a very basic version. It can generate an outline for a tree, including what it's focus is, what elements it uses, what other particular details it might have, etc. But after that it just throws abilties randomly at a wall. They link together properly, but the abilities themselves are just randomly either stat boosts or new active spells. It does at least make the abilities use the relevant element, and the stat boosts use relevant stats.

What it needs, is to have actual goals and priorities, such that you don't end up with a tree with nothing but slight variations of the same ability, or with nothing but stat boosts. It should go "Oh, this tree is an offense tree, it should start with a fitting basic offensive ability, and then should have some mixed upgrades for that ability and generic stat boosts, and then maybe another ability, and we'll throw a major node in there somewhere, and..." It should also sort the upgrades into similar clusters, so that you can get the stuff that's useful to your build without wasting too much time on junk.

Edit: Oh, and if people want me to throw up another demo just ask, or if you want help running a demo.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 05:19:20 pm »

A demo would be nice. I like demos. If it's not too much of a hassle.

Maybe you can have a way of generating some kind of "final build" first and generate trees off of that? Some way to determine some interactions between different abilities?
I've got no idea. I doubt that skill trees concerned with one or two things specifically would be as awesome as something that contains some outliers that, uhm, compliment everything else in there.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 06:18:57 pm »

A demo would be nice. I like demos. If it's not too much of a hassle.

Bam, Demo!

Maybe you can have a way of generating some kind of "final build" first and generate trees off of that? Some way to determine some interactions between different abilities?
I've got no idea. I doubt that skill trees concerned with one or two things specifically would be as awesome as something that contains some outliers that, uhm, compliment everything else in there.
I don't know about a final build - the idea here is that players have plenty of options for the strategies they pursue. I do plan to have the generator have an understanding of what all goes well together, so players can be fairly confident of getting lots of opportunities to find cool synergies, instead of having trees that are all either A: Random bullshit or B: The same thing repeated a dozen times.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to set goals. I actually have most of the code written, I just need to finish the part where it decides what the goals are. I think I'll have the trees all start out with a useful bread and butter ability near the bottom, and then... Well, I'm not sure.

Edit: Now with actual demo link.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:33:49 pm by Angle »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 01:23:23 pm »

I cannot run the demo. The java in Debian Testing is too old, I guess.
...:~/Downloads/Spiele/TempleOfTheElements/dist$ ./run.sh
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: templeoftheelements/TempleOfTheElements : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 06:27:37 pm »

Can you try updating it? There are instructions here: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 03:59:44 pm »

My little brother got it working without adding a ppa. I'll try the game now.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 04:45:14 pm »

Oh nice. Do please tell me what you think. The game is, of course, mostly just a tech demo at this point. You should be able to see where I'm going with it, though.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 09:14:10 pm »

When I click on the file, something opens, then closes before I can do anything. What could be the problem?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5