Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Temple of the Elements  (Read 14506 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Temple of the Elements
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 09:55:56 pm »

I tested it on my roommates windows computer, and apparently the java command I'm using doesn't always work on windows? It's weird. When I have use of a windows computer I'm going to do some more thorough testing, and see if I can figure out why.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 06:15:40 am »

Sorry for the delayed non-answer. My laptop got re-installed and I hadn't access to my KeePass database for a while and the game's gone also and it's been a while and so I'll have to re-download and get a new impression.

First thing I remember though: I think it would look better (and maybe offer some more flexibility, based on what the character does other than learning abilites) if the skill tree was generated only a few steps ahead instead of fully.
Taste my Paci-Fist

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 06:26:07 am »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 03:23:14 am »

Sorry for the delayed non-answer. My laptop got re-installed and I hadn't access to my KeePass database for a while and the game's gone also and it's been a while and so I'll have to re-download and get a new impression.

First thing I remember though: I think it would look better (and maybe offer some more flexibility, based on what the character does other than learning abilites) if the skill tree was generated only a few steps ahead instead of fully.

That's actually how I'm doing it now. I'm actually most of the way through a huge skill tree rework, behold!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a little bugged right now, though not as much as when I took this screenshot. When I'm done it'll only generate a ring in advance, each ring being five layers of nodes, which are sorted into clusters. Eventually there'll be more variety in clusters but for the moment they're all pretty basic.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2016, 04:03:09 am »

That looks delicious.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 08:15:04 am »

That looks much better. Suddenly choosing the next skill doesn't seem like a chore but like an exciting adventure.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2016, 09:10:08 pm »

That's actually how I'm doing it now. I'm actually most of the way through a huge skill tree rework, behold!

It's a little bugged right now, though not as much as when I took this screenshot. When I'm done it'll only generate a ring in advance, each ring being five layers of nodes, which are sorted into clusters. Eventually there'll be more variety in clusters but for the moment they're all pretty basic.
Wow that's a lot. That looks really neat. So kind of like the sphere grid from Final Fantasy X except procedurally generated?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »

Wow that's a lot. That looks really neat. So kind of like the sphere grid from Final Fantasy X except procedurally generated?

Yup. I finally beat the last of the skill tree bugs into submission:

That looks much better. Suddenly choosing the next skill doesn't seem like a chore but like an exciting adventure.

That's the idea.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2016, 02:09:54 am »

It's sad that you cannot see my eyes right now, because they display some really damn nicely rendered stars.
Taste my Paci-Fist

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 07:09:57 pm »

*clapping*
I look forwards to seeing this game completed, however long that may be.
In any case, congrats on the progress.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2016, 02:57:24 am »

It's sad that you cannot see my eyes right now, because they display some really damn nicely rendered stars.

:D Always happy to please. I'm working on randomly generated skills next. They're not much to look at yet, but they're coming along pretty well.

*clapping*
I look forwards to seeing this game completed, however long that may be.
In any case, congrats on the progress.

Thank you.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2016, 01:35:54 pm »

Posting to watch, and also to say how delicious those trees are.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2016, 08:54:09 pm »

Alright, so it occurred to me that I might be going about making the abilities all wrong. I had been going about it in a very generic fashion - I had scripts like "Damaging Spell", Debuff Spell, etc, and I'm think that maybe instead I should have more specific scripts - fireball, eruption, etc. I can still make these pretty variable, and I can even arrange to have it hook multiple of them together to make a spell. Does that sound like a better approach?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 09:34:07 pm »

The way I'd do it would be to have number of different shapes (projectile, beam, touch, self, etc.) and combine those with effects (fire, healing, paralysis, etc.). Then you could just change numbers around to make things better or worse depending on skill or buffs and so on.
You'd get a number of useless spells, so the AI would need to know the difference between harmful and helpful effects.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 11:34:45 pm »

The way I'd do it would be to have number of different shapes (projectile, beam, touch, self, etc.) and combine those with effects (fire, healing, paralysis, etc.). Then you could just change numbers around to make things better or worse depending on skill or buffs and so on.
You'd get a number of useless spells, so the AI would need to know the difference between harmful and helpful effects.

The way I'd been doing things currently had the spell generators split up into targeting methods (Projectile, enemy target, area target, self target, etc) and effects (Damage, Debuff, Terrain alteration, etc). The trouble with this method was that it resulted in a few giant bloated scripts and it made it fairly difficult to make the scripts work properly together. The way I'm thinking maybe I should do things is instead have a whole lot of smaller scripts, like Fireball, Ice Pillar, etc, etc, and have each of them have a number of different sliders. This means that I'll have way simpler scripts, and as a bonus I'll also be able to make the spells stick to fairly specific archetypes. I should still be able to have a fairly significant variety of effects, too - you might have a homing fireball, or a fireball with a huge explosive radius, or a fireball that ignore spell resistance, or a fireball that leaves behind an area of burning, or a fireball with a secondary elemental effect, like poison or lightning, or whatever.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5