Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What the eff?  (Read 17519 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: What the eff?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

Gladiatorial combat would not be a good idea.  We're bloodthirsty and decadent enough as it is.  We don't need to make murder a sport.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

I dunno... The world of Unreal Tournament 2004 seems mighty interesting with all ye ex-cons and soldiers duking it out for our viewing pleasure. But then, in that world, everyone comes back to life in less than 10 seconds and there are giant orbital cannons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

But that's just it, we are bloodhtirsty and decadent.  You think people watch sports for the sportsmanship?  For the honor?  Hell no.  People watch sports because they are the closest thing to fighting you can get on primetime TV.

US Football, boxing, wrestling, "ultimate fighter" championships, hockey, it's all fighting.  It's just a watered-down version of what people really want to see.

I'm not saying everyone watches sports for this reason.  There are quite a few people out there who watch sports because they happen to see the good in a dignified and honorable competition.  However, the majority of sports fans are people who are making their own little bets to see who gets a tooth knocked out first.

And I wouldn't see death-row fighting as murder.  Murder is when you take a thinking and reasoning person's life.  As I said before, someone who violates a basic right like that does not deserve having their own similar rights respected.  It would be extermination, not murder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

So you want to build an arena and make criminals fight to the death for sport?  This isn't the kind of behavior we want to enforce.  These things are a slippery slope.  It starts with murderers, moves on to rapists, then petty criminals, eventually we might see any "undesirables" being put in the arena.  I see a holocaust-esque scenario here.
Shoes...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

We in Germany have no Deathrow and that is good. Ok most times you get that raping and murdering asses but in to much cases you get an innocent or at least someone who isnt innocent but did not done the murder or rape.

A Justicesystem with many prisons could be very expensiv, granted. But you can make them less expensiv. For example all inprisoned under the age of 21 should get an proper education and should learn a Job - thats possible in an German prison (i dont know exactly what a US prison is like) and its lowering the chance that this young people do again a crime. Next thing you can export an Prison for example an prison on the same comfortlevel would be in the turkey 10 times cheaper then in the US or the most parts of western Europe. At least a longtime prisoner should work for his comfort etc.

BTT: In the Article is stated that they got 2800 IPs. Today we have Software like Tor (The onion router) which can route any "Content" over dozen of routers and proxys and many of these are normal "PCs". In many times users of an PtoP client even dont know what they are Downloading because a paedo wouldnt use the terme in the name of an picture or PDF or whatever. Even some bastards are using Trojans for hijacking Pcs only to download such horrible things like that mentioned Paedo stuff.

The police (and the Phono-industrie) should have some more Facts when only a IP because many times they make a huge pile of shit(Like in this case). But please dont do shit like censoring, the "Bundestrojaner" or massive recording of my telecommunication habbits because i have a right on some private sphere. To make that clear that last sentence was not ironic or something.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

Yes, sports have gone downhill.  This isn't a trend to encourage.  Look what happened to the Roman Empire.  It starts with murderers, but how long until it's bank robbers, then drug dealers, then people who dodged their parking fines?  When human death becomes sport, human life becomes a commodity- should we return to slavery for good measure?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

Bad things happen when we start trying to decide who's a human and who isn't.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

Is that so.  

When I see someone who murders people just for the thrill of taking their life away from them, I do not see a human.  I see a monster.

When I see a man who has utterly fractured the lives of women by taking them against their will, I do not see a human.  I see a monster.

When I see someone who kidnaps a twelve-year-old girl and tortures her until she starves to death, I do not see a human.  I see a monster.

People speak of the death sentence as though it were murder.  If that is true, then I would gladly murder each and every one of these monsters.  They had the privilege of being human, and they threw it aside.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

And if the monster proves to be innocent of wrongdoing, would thou stay thy hand as easily as thou wouldst administer it?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Killing them won't bring back the people they killed, and it won't make them go away.  For every one you kill there are at least 10 that get away, and 10 that show up to take the one's place.  Think about what those thoughts do to you.  What's that saying?  If you stare into the abyss long enough the abyss stares back?  If you kill them you're just as bad as them.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

Well, putting them in jail for life doesn't do much either. Those 10 people could/will activate their criminal  careers when they're leader is put out.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

Funny. Until now I thought the title of this thread was "What the elf?"
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Killing them won't bring back the people they killed, and it won't make them go away.  For every one you kill there are at least 10 that get away, and 10 that show up to take the one's place.  Think about what those thoughts do to you.  What's that saying?  If you stare into the abyss long enough the abyss stares back?  If you kill them you're just as bad as them.</STRONG>

You're saying a murderer's victims are not worth being payed back by the death of their killer? And that when you kill a murderer, more people decide to murder? What the hell kind of person sees capitol punishment as a reason to decide to start doing something?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG> What the hell kind of person sees capitol punishment as a reason to decide to start doing something?</STRONG>

The crazy kind. And murderers are always crazy in some way.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

I guess I was vague there.  Not that the murder precipitates more murder, that there are so many sick people out there that there's no way to kill them all.  As for the family, why are people so sick that they want blood for blood?  That's not going to make it better.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7