Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've created a website for sharing/exploring opinions in a different way  (Read 1695 times)

BoboJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi everyone,

I have created a website called https://opinionshare.org/ because I was upset with people not understanding other peoples opinions.
While there is Wikipedia, most people don't seem to spend much time on it, so something with less text is needed apparently  ::)

On my page you have to make one statement at a time, each being at most 200 characters long.
These statements you can connect in a "statement 1 is a good reason for statement 2" way.

I would be happy about any feedback on this idea/website.
Thank you.

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
Re: I've created a website for sharing/exploring opinions in a different way
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 04:57:55 pm »

Perhaps some sort of tree format might be more approachable? Where clicking on an opinion and the subsidiary opinions could be made visible?

I like the idea, though the problem might just be getting people with different opinions.
How extensive will moderation be? There may be particular opinions that by their nature will be considered offensive; will those be accepted as well?

BoboJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 05:32:14 pm »

Perhaps some sort of tree format might be more approachable? Where clicking on an opinion and the subsidiary opinions could be made visible?
Actually clicking on an opinion shows you a page where all the subsidiary/"incoming" and "outgoing" opinions are shown. It's just neither drawn as a graph or a tree.
One could argue that showing the graph/tree structure of the opinions more visually would be beneficial.
I have actually tried that some years ago and found the results to be horrible.

I like the idea, though the problem might just be getting people with different opinions.
Really? I thought the problem would be to get anyone.

How extensive will moderation be? There may be particular opinions that by their nature will be considered offensive; will those be accepted as well?
Very good question that I can't really answer. One part of me really just wants a more accessible Wikipedia, with citations everywhere and very heavy moderation,
another wants people to just lay out exactly what they actually believe in, so that they might be better understood.
Maybe these are two different projects. For now I just hope for some people to actually care about the idea
as I think it might really help people understand why their opinions are often not as strictly logically binding as they might think.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:44:56 pm by BoboJack »

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 07:12:24 pm »

Just some additional stuff, they doesn't seem to be a way to remove or edit opinions that one has posted. Though I can see how that might cause issues once a discussion has already begun.

BoboJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 07:17:17 pm »

Just some additional stuff, they doesn't seem to be a way to remove or edit opinions that one has posted.
Yes, I've seen it. Thank you! I find that very motivating.
Though I can see how that might cause issues once a discussion has already begun.
Exactly. I could allow for editing/deleting for a short time after creation, but that seems like a rather secondary feature to me.
But before I spend more time on this I want to see if I can get people to use it. This is just my prototype/minimal viable product after all.

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 07:45:30 pm »

The question of how to discover new opinions is something I think should be answered, as the only way I could find my "Democracy is not good" opinion that I posted is to explicitly search for it.

BoboJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 07:56:08 pm »

That's a very good and interesting point. Its late here, so I'll go to bed now, but I'll think about it.
If you have any suggestions for how to solve this problem, please tell me.
I can't really think of anything besides search -> click -> click -> click ... and a front page sorted by some kind of "hotness" instead of "votes".
But maybe if the network is better filled, you'll discover lots of stuff, just by following the connections.

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 08:02:40 pm »

Go the reddit route and have a recent page, a hotness page (Recency+Votes), and a popularity page?

And maybe, rather than organizing by total positive votes, maybe also count negative votes towards that formula, if you want controversial topics discussed rather than just anything with popular agreement/consensus.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, not someone who codes, but definitely intrigued. As any other platform actually discourages dissenting and controversial opinions, and all the "free-speech" spaces tend to be full of unironic Nazis.

BoboJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 07:46:00 am »

The question of how to discover new opinions is something I think should be answered.
For now I'm simply displaying 100 opinions on the front page, instead of 10.

And maybe, rather than organizing by total positive votes, maybe also count negative votes towards that formula, if you want controversial topics discussed rather than just anything with popular agreement/consensus.
Hmm I cant think of a good formula, maybe I'll just show both, interlaced.

Go the reddit route and have a recent page, a hotness page (Recency+Votes), and a popularity page?
Thats probably very reasonable.