Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good armor and shield for a human : )  (Read 1486 times)

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good armor and shield for a human : )
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »

Hi !
Where to find good armor or shield for human if I don't like to play fortress mode ?

Is this possible to find sth good enough -  at least Masterful crafted or Artifact (maybe from good material)  or I need to craft it by myself, or use a mods ?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Good armor and shield for a human : )
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:24:27 pm »

Mead halls in hamlets will have the most readily available loot, all human-sized. Don't bother with towns, they're bigger, more confusing, and seem (for some reason) to have less stuff.
Artifacts don't generate during world-gen (yet) so no luck there. Masterwork stuff is extremely rare, though you may find some in tombs if you dare enter them. Even exceptional quality items are pretty rare. Really, though, I don't think anything above superior is really necessary, since even no-quality iron weapons/armor will save you most of the time, depending on your skills.
You can't craft items in vanilla adventure mode, other than sharp rocks. I'm sure there are mods available to let you craft your own stuff.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:42:34 pm »

There's something else regarding good armors and weapons but it's very spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:47:58 pm »

Wanderer's mod is amazing, easily my favorite mod ever: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140950.0

Track down a tough beast, manage to kill it, hack the body up, turn the heart into a buffing item, turn the bones into armor, turn the hides into cloaks and such, carve picks and jewelry from the bones (unless you mod in better bone materials they won't make good weapons, but a crappy bone pick is just as good as anything else for digging in advfort and weighs nothing), such a wonderful concept.

Then it also adds the ability to tan hides yourself and use them to resize armor you find to fit you.

Technically you could go raid your own dorf fort and I'm pretty sure if you took say, an artifact steel breastplate and opened it up with gm-editor you will see "creator_race" at the bottom with 465 beside it (or 474 in the wanderer's mod), if you change that to 466 (or 475) you should find it will fit humans, and 469 (or 478) will fit kobolds.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:01 am »

Masterwork leathers aren't extremely rare. Towns will have it, but you're less likely to find metal armor above bronze. Warehouses are filled with anything though, so you can get lucky if you have the patience to sift through it all. Bandit leaders in dungeons and camps have better iron armor, and tombs in the wild are practically guaranteed to have some masterwork, if you have observation and ambushing high enough to get out without a curse. Beast lairs can have some excellent stuff, especially the more frequent rampagers.

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 09:12:29 am »

How to have

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:32:25 am »

How to have
I think it's related to the number of goblin civs.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?