Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I find a vampire or werebeast?  (Read 2465 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I find a vampire or werebeast?
« on: March 14, 2015, 07:37:49 am »

Pretty simple question, really. I want to start my adventurer's ascent to glorious nighthood by becoming a vamp or a werebeast, and then becoming a necromancer on top of that.

The problem is, I can't find one! Every time people mention vampires or things in towns, I ask them "well, that sounds terrible, where can I find such a monster," they either say "On the move or deep underground, I don't know," or "I don't know, but X guy is really traveled and would know," or "I don't know, and I don't even know anybody who would know!"

And half the time, you track down X guy, and he says "I don't know that person at all."

I'm half-way ready to just slaughter everybody in a town and rink all their blood in the hopes that ONE of them will be a vampire!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find a vampire or werebeast?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:46:49 am »

Vamp will almost always have the blinking tile color like a lord/lady, white hair in the description, and sentient bone jewelry, human, goblin, dorf, elf.

Weres tend to be some naked dude chilling in a lair for no apparent reason.

If you really can't find one you can always temp-retire somewhere and check legends, a good way to do it is look through the human gods and goddesses, the second or later group especially, and see who if anyone they cursed, and then track them down by their name individually, once you get a hang for it you can start to find them on your own easier.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:37:34 am »

Usually they will mention what town the vampire is in. Go there and look. Don't ask people about the vampire, ask them for directions to him/her. The vampires I've found usually hang around the local royalty. They also seem to prefer human towns, the bigger the better.

Remember to train before you become a vampire, as your strength, agility and toughness will not raise after that.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:56:33 am »

In an old world (long history) I found that turning yourself into a vampire by drinking a vampire's blood often doesn't work. Most vampires are affected by this, their blood is not "vampiric" and won't turn you into a vampire, but there are normally still some around for which's blood does work properly. (It is not an issue with "high Disease Resistance".)

And often I found vampires bunched up around a few sites; as in, you got one village with a ton of lairs around it and with vampires just swarming around it and living in it. Due to the amount of vampires around those places it gives a good chance of finding a vampire whose blood does work properly. Then again, I do have vampires turned up in the advanced world generation settings.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:00:51 am by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:58:17 am »

I had a surreal encounter in my hunt for eternity.

I went to a town, nearly entirely abandoned but for a few shops. The first place I stopped in, I asked the guy about beasts, he said they were having trouble with a lizard woman vampire. I asked where to find her.

He directed me to a human vampire living in that very town, in a clothing shop "to the north," to get directions to the lizard-woman vampire.

So I found the clothing shop. In the middle of an otherwise deserted town is a clothing shop that's very bustling. Like, when I got there, there was a general throw-down with some lizard-man happening within. I joined in, finished off the Lizard, then carted him out and waited four hours because the peasants were locked in combat mode and all attempts to greet them brought up the hostile greetings, and when I tried to demand their surrender they were like "Never!"

Unfortunately, none of the people in the shop - and it was packed, like, a kid, two priests, and three or four peasants - were the human vampire. I asked for directions to them, several of them said he was their neighbor, or shold be around there, but none of them had the name I'd been given, and none of them admitted to being the night creature.

Then my game crashed later on as I attempted to fast travel after searching all the buildings around, and I said bollocks to it.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 06:00:12 pm »

If you want to talk to people in combat mode, first brag about your past violent acts. Then you can talk to them as normal.

I have no idea why, but it works.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 06:41:06 pm »

Yeah, also works with the hordes of rescued kids since they're always in combat mode after the first wild animal encounter.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 11:52:32 pm »

If you want to talk to people in combat mode, first brag about your past violent acts. Then you can talk to them as normal.

I figured that out, but I couldn't figure out any way to get them to tell me their name without Greeting them, which you can't do when you're already conversing.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 03:20:22 am »

I figured that out, but I couldn't figure out any way to get them to tell me their name without Greeting them, which you can't do when you're already conversing.
You could bite off one of their fingers and look at that, it should say the name of the owner.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 06:13:45 am »

Well you can see the name if you view them and check the description too, but it is handy having their name displayed full time so you can keep track of them if need be rather than trying to figure out if you were talking to this farmer, that farmer, or the one over there.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 09:14:41 pm »

Have you tried asking about troubles? Asking about beasts will start you with the nearest lair, which is usually one of what you're looking for. Unless you're in a mead hall, then they'll say, "Why do you go kill a titan for us?" And when you do find the guy who knows directions, keep him with you; he seriously does know directions to everything.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 09:18:58 pm »

If you cross an aserisk which doesn't jump you when traveling, stop and see if they know any directions, they'll more often than not know where everything is as well.