Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 173632 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2017, 06:59:02 pm »

That sounds pretty cool, actually.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2017, 12:36:20 am »

theres all kinds of token summoning I can turn into necromancer spells~
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »

Hi, it seems that my adventurer can only contract one spell-giving syndrome from a crafted tablet, but nearby companions gain multiple. I've noticed that in Adventure mode, the player seems to only be able to gain one set of acquired powers from slabs, but can acquire multiple curses unless there is a tag like [NO VAMPCURSE] or something. Is this correct?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2017, 08:23:43 pm »

You should be able to gain powers from every spell rock and slab, and yeah a lot of the curses are compatible.

Which specific secrets were you trying to learn from a slab and what spells did your companions get that you didnt. Also, what race are you?

I suspect not picking up the spell syndromes is because your character just so happened to not breath while the cloud of vapors was in the air though your companions did. Ive been contemplating making those into consumble drinks for adventurers (though that would become even more of a nightmare in fort mode to force the dwarves you want to drink what you want them to). How would that sound? You could then share some of the brew with companions, but wouldnt get the instantaneous shared learning experience your seeing now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »

As an update to what's going on currently, I've begun working on the magic schools update.

For starters, this changes a bit about how magic is learned. Spell tomes are now called inscribed slates, just so they're not confused with actual books you could read. The learning reactions from now on will produce a unit of cheese, a plant cheese, called "essence of (school) (spell)". Dwarves or adventurers will have to eat this cheese to gain the spell it offers, but that will eliminate the problem with clouds of vapor being unreliable. At the moment, each essence provides a single spell. They can be stored in the food stockpile, so you can dictate where they are stored and who has access to that stockpile. While they do not rot they can be eaten by vermin, which can lead to magic vermin. Nobody wants cockroaches flinging fireballs, so it's advisable to pasture a cat on whatever stockpile stores these things. You also wouldn't want visitors or uninvited guests to be able to get in, so it might be advisable to store them in a far-flung, usually locked room. Vampires will not eat in fort mode and dont breathe, obviously, so that's going to be a problem until I can come up with a solution that will work for a creature that refuses to eat, drink, or even breathe.

There are still threats to your health in the process of trying to create this essence, though nothing serious. Only a very rare chance of going crazy and some minor symptoms. These will still be produced as vaporizing boulders in the workshop/on your person, they're still going to be rare and their effects are going to be resistible, so you can protect yourself or your dwarves with balmleaf products and learned disease resistance spells.

The general non-school will feature some generic, and not particularly strong or quickly reusable spells. It will take no special reagents besides aether salts and a basic inscribed slate. It will offer magma ball (potentially melting fat, but fairly cool) ice spike etc., disease resistance and recuperation among other things.

The rest of the schools will require a normal inscribed slate and a special ceremonial blade associated with that school, called an athame, in addition to aether salt. More powerful effects will require aether residue as well. Your civilization will have access to some of these depending on what's in their raws. I'm going to update the entity_default.txt entry for this as well. Since the athame will be a bladed tool like a carving knife, people from that civ can carry them, you can buy them off caravans etc. They'll also be possible to make on your own. Since the essences will now be a food product you can even order them directly from the liaison. They'll all be quite expensive, but I guess you can always commit murder.

The Aetherial school will include pure aetherial magics, that aren't associated with a sphere or effect. This includes a solid projectile, a vaporizing liquid projectile that delivers a syndrome similar to the potential dangers of learning, aetherial webbing, and life seeking.

Dwarves will have their own school of magic that encompasses labor and individual strengths, controlling the need to eat and sleep, and the ability to get totally wasted at will, including creating potent booze by reaction to share (with your athame). They'll also be able to create golems from livestock and heal themselves

Elven nature worship will entail the ability to interact with and create ents, transform into dangerous beasts and protect elves and animals. They can also totally remove the need to eat or drink for a time. Not sure yet if I'll straight up make elves playable in fort mode, though.

There is of course a school of fire and ice, also including stone. A lot of these spells will be combat oriented, wrapped around the idea of controlling temperatures.

Similarly there will be storms, oceans, and weather. Again, combat oriented, but also focused towards surviving under water.

There will be schools of witchcraft, allowing blessings and curses, and of disease and blight, and of necromancy and conjuring, which will be available to goblins and unsavory folks. Like humans.

There will be a school covering primarily transformations of the body and mind. Become animals, enable intelligence, that sort of thing.

A school for healing, and resurrecting the dead in a non-zombified state.

And finally, I think(?), show magic. Illusions, magic tricks, cards and luck, etc. Humans will definitely be able to use this, probably dwarves too.

If anybody has any ideas or comments, I would freaking love to hear them!
I make Spellcrafts!

Hakazaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:04 pm »

Sounds good, though I'm quite new. I tried to use this mod in adventure mode and im not really sure this is working as intended. I had a super strong crocodile man, legendary wrestler. I researched a spell, it says it was affected, though there was nothing in the aquired powers. Maybe it didn't work i thought, so i made a bunch more with no results.

Maybe it was because i was a animal man? So i walk off, planning to travel to a town to retire the character but i get the message that i cant travel when bleeding. Turns out, my hand had melted off, and i was getting repeated alerts that i was melting. I run around a bit, and then start freezing and melting at the same time. Then i caught fire. I couldn't move, but i could push myself around in a minecart.

... What?

Also even with a masterfully crafted inscribed plate, i can only research novice spells. Also ive done that about 50 times and only gotten 3 spells, then i got naked and now im getting a lot more. I think that was the main problem before, though that doesn't help the catching fire thing, which happened a second time now.

I have a feeling that the magic cloud might be igniting from campfires or something

... nope, Could be the rain, or having a lot or residue. I dont know, I just lost my adventurer to this :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:44:46 am by Hakazaba »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2017, 03:16:44 pm »

Ive literally never seen that happen, i didnt know it could, but being a crocodile man probably has nothing to do with it. Frankly the idea of burning to death and freezing to death simultaneously is hilarious. Thats got to have something to do with the temperature of the aura rock, but the boiling point of it is still way below the freezing point of water, and residue also should be room temperature, so i dont get it...

Not having luck contracting the syndromes that gives you the spells is a known issue, thats why im changing it to a consumable food. Im going to give it a fixed temperature between human body temp and freezing so hopefully this doesnt happen again.

Would you be willing to post your save file to dffd so maybe i can see whats going on?

Will definitely be fixing/troubleshooting these, keep me posted with anything else that might be wrong and ill make sure to work on those too!
I make Spellcrafts!

Hakazaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2017, 11:43:47 pm »

Well, since the character is dead now, i cant give a save. Though it happened in two separate generated worlds, both generated with 0 bogeyman types

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2017, 03:55:17 pm »

Well thats okay then. Is no bogeymen the only variation from a normal world? you used adv parameters to get that, so maybe you could post the ones you used from your worldgen.txt file?
I make Spellcrafts!

Hakazaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2017, 02:23:05 am »

Im not entirely sure which one it is... Ive made a bunch of them and its happend on all of them. Catch fire even in a freezing biome when it rains after a lot of magic crafting/holding residue.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2017, 02:30:53 pm »

Ive managed to replicate it finally. It required waiting and doing a lot more than I usually do, I usually only run the interactions a dozen times at most before moving on, this time I did it at least 30-40 times in one go.
Still not sure whats causing it. It seems like it does have to do with the magic aura gas, but I cant understand how. The material is well below water's freezing point even at its boiling temp, and I dont see how it could heat up so much as to become dangerous. It probably is the residue that is becoming overheated first. It just doesnt make a lot of sense.

Now I'm going to test what I'm working on now and see if this problem ever comes up.

[edit]

Pretty sure I've solved this. It was the slates, for whatever reason, but now they're good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:33:53 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

stormbot28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2017, 04:16:46 pm »

Hello, I'm a bit confused with the functioning of this mod as I have been trying to "produce aether salts" almost since the beginning of my game. I have a Magicians studio right by my central staircase leading into my main workshop area and yet at almost 2 years in I have yet to produce a single one. Nor has the job been suspended.

I have the task set on repeat with the workflow plugin with range 30-50 (which is how I know exactly 0 have been produced). Using the Masterwork mod, autolabor enabled (I have it set so every dwarf has the alchemy labor enabled). Running latest version of this mod.

Any idea how I can get this working? I really want to shoot some firebolts at the wererhinocerous that just waltzed into my map.

Edit: the wererhino transformed into a goblin and my resident militia commander dealt with it "The militia commander punches the goblin in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain." (Now imagine that same dwarf with a candy fist on demand! [Is there any spell that activates on combat entry and is self-focused?])

edit_2: Now there's a 20 man undead army upon my door-step, the necromancer came with them, and he's right next to my full 10x21 corpse stockpile (plus a few more nearby). This is bad enough, but all the undead are fully equipped with metal weapons / armor and there are more than a few dangerous-when-naturally-alive creatures (like that were-rhino from above) among the corpses. A few spells to help me deal with them would be nice (I have internal farms + enough food/booze to last until I train some high-level battle-mages).

Side-question, when creatures come back as zombies do they keep their spells? Also, does the summoning circle require some sort of research before use, or are it (and the holy altar) unimplemented? Because I'd love to summon some imps to do battle with the undead and burn them all.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:58:10 pm by stormbot28 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2017, 08:48:15 am »

The circle and holy altar are unimplemented at the moment, ill get to them someday. And im not sure if undead creatures still have their syndromes, they might. Thats something to test and find out i guess.

Your best bet with the undead is going to be ranged spells, so you dont have to worry about either ammo or getting too close.
Theres no way to get dwarves to reliably use an on-self spell at the beginning of combat as far as im aware. They can use them to clean themselves or when fleeing combat. This is governed by usage hints the game provides and theyre just not very versatile at the moment. Dwarves sometimes use them on themselves or each other for the hell of it, though, or if theyre covered in some sort of contaminant.

Now, for why youre not getting any aether salts made im not really sure. You say your dwarves have alchemy enabled, and the job has been set and isnt getting cancelled. I would check that you have access to logs and cut gems, but if you dont then it would be getting cancelled every time it comes up.
You used autolabor to enable alchemy, i would suggest double checking your dwarves with the in-game labor menu to ensure its enabled on them.
I make Spellcrafts!

stormbot28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »

Just checked, my dwarves have the alchemist labor enabled. I even tried assigning aether salt production through my manager. The job was validated and it appears in the workshops (I have built another magician's studio to make sure it wasn't just that the first was bugged). But the manager shows no linked job, which is confusingly contradictory..

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »

ok, I'll try to replicate it myself and see where that goes

A couple bits of info I'll need: Which version of masterwork are you using, and for which version of DF is it set up?

I'm pretty sure I've figured it out, though; It seems DFhack is somehow disabling the alchemy labor, as in it shows up red in the in-game labors menu and cannot be selected. Autolabor also doesnt activate it, and so no dwarves are actually set to do alchemy. Why DFhack would do this I have no idea, I'm going to ask for help in that thread.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:36:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29