Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 173637 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2018, 05:20:58 pm »

That's pretty weird. Did you check legends mode to see why they're there?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2018, 02:29:57 pm »

I ran into the neatest thing yesterday.  I was adventuring in a reanimating evil biome and came across a gaggle of zombies los, some of them wisp caste and others humanoid.  When I killed the zombie wisps, they didn't convert into figurines as expected but left a butcherable corpse behind.  Butchering left behind two items: "lo orb iron" and "lo orb flames".  The lo orb flames is initially room temperature but rapidly heats up to 14000U.
The next thing I need to figure out is (of course) how to weaponize it.  14000U is hot enough to melt magma men and !!magma crabs!! so there's lots of potential.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2018, 06:48:31 pm »

Not sure if I want to fix that if it's so useful. I did intend for them to convert into a harmless little trinket though. I havent noticed the any hamlets being ruled by actual wizards at all myself, not sure what could be going on there other than worldgen throwing up all the coincidences at you.

In future news, I hammered out a quick setup for the healing school last night, so thats next to be published, but it might still be awhile as there are bugs to work out with that. It'll feature healing of course but also basic resurrection and creating healing undead, and preventing undeath in general. There is also a protection from curses, and standard shielding and buffing spells. I've made this one's reagent a worn amulet of healing and am making sure that works out. For civs with lots of clothing options you probably wont see it literally everywhere, but you might anyway. I know the athames certainly get around (especially since dwarves dont have any other knives civilians can use), so there shouldnt be a shortage of tools for those schools. Not sure what to say about the other tools, if this amulet is alright and doesnt literally flood the world with them they might end up being clothing/weapon type tools too, but you can find them in-game even now, if rarely. Good places to look are storerooms/warehouses, mead halls and bandit camps.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SageHeist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2018, 07:42:28 pm »

I have looked around all over and can not find a way to install this mod. I have not yet been able to get it to work either. Can someone please help me.

FaceFondler

• Bay Watcher
  • TAKE A LOOK AT THESE HANDS
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2018, 01:22:01 am »

Made an account specifically to sing my praises of this mod. Love the new workshops and the variety of spells!
Question though: is aether residue really supposed to be all that valuable? Each cut aether residue stone fetches 5000 dorfbucks, and with 10-15 I can buy out whole caravans.

I have looked around all over and can not find a way to install this mod. I have not yet been able to get it to work either. Can someone please help me.

Hey! So you've got the spellcraft zip, right? Extract it and copy all of the contents to the "dwarf fortress\raw\objects" folder.

You're also gonna want to edit the entity_default.txt file! Find the entities you want to be able to use magic, and add the lines mentioned in the first post on the thread.

After that, start your game up and create a new world! The new world will use the mod raws. Hope that clears things up!
THE HAND SPEAKS, THE HAND OF A GOVERNMENT MAN

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2018, 05:47:01 pm »

Hi is this version compatible with 44.05? I understand there isnt a whole lot of difference between 44.03 and .05, but i figured id ask. Thanks

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2018, 06:35:57 pm »

Should be able to extract it directly to your df directory/raw/objects folder where the other similar files are. Make sure all the files like b_detail_plan_spellcrafts.txt are in objects folder itself not in a subfolder. The objects folder already contains a folder called text, and the same folder from this mod can just overwrite/merge with that. The "vanilla entity and extra info" folder contains a copy of entity_default.txt that you can copy out into the raw/objects folder to overwrite the vanilla version that already exists. That will overwrite changes of any other mods you might have installed though, if you want to keep them you should instead copy the block of text posted in the OP of this thread and in the readme file uploaded with the vanilla entiy and extra info folder into the entity_default.txt file under the entity:mountain and entity:plains entries.

You will have to generate a new world of course.

Hi is this version compatible with 44.05? I understand there isnt a whole lot of difference between 44.03 and .05, but i figured id ask. Thanks

It is, yes. Theres no differences in the raws between these versions really.

Thank you, facefondler, and i hope you continue to enjoy the mod!
I make Spellcrafts!

FaceFondler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2018, 04:46:42 pm »

My dwarves just finished a retrieval mission for a "secrets of thunder as a weapon" slab, and they stored it in a bin. Is there any way to make my dwarves read the slab and gain the power? The thought of having a fortress full of lightning wielding dwarves is very appealing to me.

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2018, 04:57:44 pm »

You could retire the fort and send an adventurer in to read the slab and write it in book form (you'll want to write a manual) then store the book(s) in your fort's library.

FaceFondler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2018, 05:08:33 pm »

You could retire the fort and send an adventurer in to read the slab and write it in book form (you'll want to write a manual) then store the book(s) in your fort's library.

Ah, fantastic. Thanks! I may just search the artifacts screen for a book with the thunder secret and create another mission instead.

There's a wizard scholar visiting my fort and apparently she's teaching the dwarves in my tavern anyhow, so I may not even need the book!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2018, 05:49:31 pm »

At the moment the wizard doesnt teach the secrets only "normal" magic, and i havent gotten to thunder magic in general yet. The secret should work if you write that manual or get the slab out of the bin, but i actually dont know if dwarves will read slabs instead of books

I would suggest keeping arrifacts out of regular stockpiles in general and only allowing them in special stockpiles that dont permit bins of any kind. Its a pain in the ass i know. You can probably get the slab out of the bin if you have it built or displayed on a pedestal and disable artifacts and slabs in your stockpiles before you deconstruct/remove the display.
I make Spellcrafts!

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2018, 01:37:50 pm »

hey eric, i am making a modpack for dwarf fortress, i wanted to add your mod to the modpack, of course you will be credited for your mod, so would you like me to add your mod to my modpack? (just asking because i thought it would be rude if i didn't ask for permission and just add it to the modpack without you knowing.)
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2018, 04:35:24 pm »

That should be fine, yeah

I've caught a couple more bugs with syndromes that should end but havent, and added a new secret and modified a couple older ones. The animals secrets still need a big overhaul, really, and I might recombine the elemental warrior and summoner secrets, since they dont walk into a graveyard and raise every single corpse they see in fort mode whether theyre in combat or not anymore. That was the main reason I had to change it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:37:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 04, 2018, 05:26:11 pm »

That should be fine, yeah

I've caught a couple more bugs with syndromes that should end but havent, and added a new secret and modified a couple older ones. The animals secrets still need a big overhaul, really, and I might recombine the elemental warrior and summoner secrets, since they dont walk into a graveyard and raise every single corpse they see in fort mode whether theyre in combat or not anymore. That was the main reason I had to change it.
okay sure
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Kamdiere

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:SPINERATOR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2018, 09:54:39 am »

Alright, so, either I'm getting all of the coincidence and should buy a lottery ticket or aether focusers simply aren't spawning. At all. Anywhere. I've long since given up searching only warehouses and search every single loot pile I find anywhere. Shops, camps, dungeons, tombs, caves screw GCSs; doesn't matter. None cropping up in adventure mode. Am I exceptionally lucky or is this occurring with other people?

Also, can confirm that wizards rule 80 or 90% of the world in all my worlds generated thus far.
Performing oral sex is like thinking rationally: all humans are technically capable of doing so, but most can't do it well and few choose to do so on a daily basis.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29