Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168257 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2018, 05:05:26 pm »

Ive changed aether focuses and beast runes over to amulet-type clothing now, so hopefully this wont be an issue too much longer. People should wear them while walking around.

I'll see if theres a reason the wizard civs dominate worldgen and correct that if possible

Edit; amulets are working well enough. They function in the reactions and you can make them out of leather or cloth. Dwarves will try to claim them as body wear if they have upper body layer space or like them more than old worn out clothing. They have very little coverage and offer virtually no protection however
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:54:36 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FaceFondler

• Bay Watcher
  • TAKE A LOOK AT THESE HANDS
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2018, 02:01:35 am »

Good god, one of my earth/thunder bending citizens was bitten by a weresheep

He transformed in the middle of my fortress and roughly 20 died

A rock and thunder conjuring werebeast is definitely a fantastic source of !!!FUN!!!

On a brighter note, there are definitely less children in my fort.
THE HAND SPEAKS, THE HAND OF A GOVERNMENT MAN

Kamdiere

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:SPINERATOR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2018, 06:40:01 am »

Thanks for the fix. Oh, yeah, one other issue. I seem to be having an issue with spells that use magma not actually being hot or combustion-inducing. Anyone else got this issue?

Re: Urist Mcthunderstone
Ey gads get that nonsense away from me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:07:13 am by Kamdiere »
Performing oral sex is like thinking rationally: all humans are technically capable of doing so, but most can't do it well and few choose to do so on a daily basis.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »

Do you know which magma spell it came from? Was it a generic, hyazith, from a divine secret, or from a creature like a wizard?

Think the generic does have a pretty low temperature on the material, so it could very well be that it doesnt transfer sufficient heat to induce combustion on the target with just one shot. The hyazith one i know is quite deadly

Face fondler; good luck with that! One of my test forts recently succumbed to a werewolf outbreak. Speaking of, im fixing another bug with werewolves, because the dogs that got bit also turned.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FaceFondler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2018, 01:13:26 am »

turns out that one weresheep bit five other dwarves and they just about wiped out half my fort before my militia got to them. The thunderstorms and hurled boulders lowered my fps to a crawl and I could faintly hear my computer's cries for death's release.

Anyway, I ended up turning my hospital into a drowning chamber and just drowned my bitten patients, giving me a nice clean slate.

Sometimes ya gotta cut off the limb before the infection spreads, you know? Jeez.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2018, 05:35:26 pm »

Does your entire fort know these secrets or something? I would hope the lag doesnt get too bad, but the best i could do about that would be to increase the waiting period between uses on everything, i think...
I make Spellcrafts!

FaceFondler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2018, 08:28:28 pm »

Well I had those two slabs like I mentioned earlier, right? I retired the fort and visited as an adventurer, and left two manuals at the fort's library.

Unretired, came back,  and made five copies of each book.

My units screen lists almost everyone (tavern guests included) as either thunder or earth warriors.

I don't have a problem with lag on my desktop, just my laptop. The fights don't usually take too long anyway, considering my entire fort is effectively made up of ranged units! I'd say keep the waiting period as is.

Oh, quick question! When my dwarves cast spells and are "blessed with good luck", does this have any actual effect? Thanks again!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2018, 11:17:10 am »

That has a pretty minor effect, but yes it does. I think its like a 10% chance of a 100% success
I make Spellcrafts!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2018, 09:44:00 pm »

That has a pretty minor effect, but yes it does. I think its like a 10% chance of a 100% success

PERC doesn't refer to a percentage chance of success, it's a percentage which skill rolls are multiplied by--meaning that PERC:100:PERC_ON:10 will, 10% of the time, multiply your skill rolls by... 1.

Of course, I could just be arguing against your wording rather than the raws.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2018, 03:53:11 pm »

Yeah it should be the same either way, youve got a 10% chance of rolling a 100 or whatever on your skill rolls, so using 100% of your maximum ability from skill?
I make Spellcrafts!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2018, 01:18:55 am »

Nono, not rolling a 100--rolling 100%, meaning that it doesn't change the skill roll at all.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2018, 03:48:47 pm »

I double checked, its actually a 300% increase on 50% of turns (which seems kinda insane but it is divine so...)

The mundane one was only 100%, changed that to 200, not that its used by anything accessible to the player at the moment
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:56:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:09 pm »

300% increase on 50% seems right; this basically just means that half the time your proficient swordsman will be legendary

philli46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2018, 01:22:00 am »

Would it be possible to strip this mod down to a more basic state, like with just a few basic schools of magic (want to make battlemages who would cast buffs on my soldiers and throw debuffs at my enemies.) I just don't want the extra creatures and civs. (not that i dont like them, they just dont really fit with the DF I've custom built) Would removing certain components break the mod, or can I make it so only the magician's study and a handful of spells are available and nothing else?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2018, 01:24:40 am »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29