Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 171188 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #210 on: April 30, 2018, 01:06:31 am »

There shouldnt be anything preventing them from learning either from slabs or consumables, no. Occasionally stuff like that happens if you try to do something before moving, like right after exiting fast travel or waiting.

So i got a tip from ZM5 regarding that cheese bug, so the game should no longer complain about animals that it thinks have cheese associated with them yet obviously dont. To celebrate, there will be critters literally made of cheese with wax for skin. So that will be tasty.

Unfortunately milk bulbs can only produce creme liquor now, not cheese or milk. I still wanted to incorporate then into a series of alchemical formulas though, so they wont be completely useless. It just might take a while.

[Edit]

Still working on this update, trying to separate things out into self contained parcels as requested. It is taking a while and might not be done by the time i upload again, and hopefully that wont be too long
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:18:01 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2018, 01:04:05 am »

I am playing as an Anaconda woman vampire, and I've just created two Hyazith essences, for Fire and Ice imps, but I can't seem to consume either of them. I just lick them.

Is it because I am a vampire? Or because Im a snake?

EDIT: It appears to be because I am a snake. A regular human had no problems, nor did a vampiric one.

Hmm. I assume it has something to do with the fact that "essences" are technically cheese? And so snakes don't eat cheese.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:04:20 am by Top Hat Zebra »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2018, 03:03:43 pm »

Youre correct. I only noticed that problem recently too as i was playing a carnivore species. Ive changed the essences to meat products; even vegetarians will eat meat turns out. So hopefully thats the end of that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SirQuinnalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2018, 05:39:16 pm »

Bug Update or something i've notice.
Sometimes reading slab containing X magic doesn't work.
For example first play-through had a Naga wander around on this island, found two camps. Took both of their slabs. One of underground magic the other fire, reading the underground one didn't give me the abilities nor changed me into a "nercomancer." With me still needing food and water, however reading the fire slab gave me the fire abilities and considered me a "fire summoner."

And in my recent playthrough of an Elf peasant working for another of my adventurers, he found a slab of ice magic. However reading it didn't give him the abilities and then I brought the slab to my other venturer, switched over and him reading it didn't do anything either.
To further help.
Elf peasant read the slab then profaned a temple 3 times, getting cursed all 3 times. Attempting to read it again and again on his trip back. No luck.

Elf Lord. Was already cursed three times and knew magic while the peasant didn't.   

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2018, 07:36:21 pm »

Finally posted an update, fixed a bunch of bugs carnivores should no longer have trouble with eating essences, whisperlights should show up only as vermin now, etc.

The cavern magic one actually requires you to be cave-adaptable, which I'm guessing nagas are not. You also have to hang out underground for a few hundred ticks for anything to start happening. It should only work for dwarves since theyre the only cave-adaptable race by default.
I'll probably change that, or else just remove it...

Next up was going to be making a version to let you pick and choose what features you want to use (and making things less dependent on one-another sans a few basic necessities.)
I make Spellcrafts!

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2018, 09:20:14 pm »

Figures the moment I start a new game with this mod you update it : P Hehehe.
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2018, 04:07:10 pm »

You know if you export the worlds info you shouod be able to regenerate it with the updated files. Its not a ginormous update anyway, mostly a bunch of fixes.

Before i disappear again i want to give a heads up about the next update for anyone who cares;
The plan right now is to introduce a couple remaining schools, ive already written up the spells for the dementia school (which will be learned from the conjuring circle, and involves all that is evil and corrupt.)
I also want to introduce enchanted materials and items.
The process there ended up being needlessly complex, just because handing them over to the civs ends up with billions of them everywhere you look, which overshadows regular, mundane equipment too much. The materials are more like role specific things, a material that is best for blunt weapons, one thats superior for edged weapons, one that makes the best non-adamantine armor etc. And of course the ones magical creatures will have weaknesses to.
The actual weapons have significant bonuses to certain attacks, or overall attack speed bonuses. Ranged weapons just get extra shoot force and velocity and only a few armor pieces didnt already have the best possible coverage and armor level, so the options for enchanted armor are limited at best, but they should be valuable in themselves.
They might show up as artifacts on occasion, but im trying to keep the numbers you find lying around down, so only a player fort where you intentionally make a bunch will have many of them.
I also wanted to do some more "alchemy" which will involve making "potions" that offer various short term effects or transformations. If you look now, i forgot to mention in the update i added a way to make llamas into spider-llamas again (they can be shorn for more valuable silk instead of wool, but not bred) and turn any other pet into an immobile "enchanted basin" which you can pasture anywhere that cleans any dwarf that comes near it and also gives a disease resistance boost. I intend to do more of these, including basins that shoot fireballs at intruders and stuff like that, and even golems you can "build" from pets.
The next thing on the list is splitting the mod into separate components. There will be the basic build, what we have now, and the build-your-own pieces. Ive already mapped out the "essential" files and a couple other categories that work on those, independent of everything else, but thats all going to take a while. I cant cater to every possible playstyle, however, and im not really going to try. If someone needs help setting up something specific, i would be happy to lend some advice here, at the least.
With the build-your-own piecemeal set, i was going to include a couple options for entities that can exist in the world. Things from high-fantasy games like WoW or DnD and also a random hodgepodge of stuff if you swing that way, as well as an as-close-to-vanilla-as-possible option. These entities might not be all that fleshed out for a while, however.
Theres also the deal with integrating this mod better with vanilla df beyond civ/entity changes. Some vanilla megabeasts and creatures make good candidates for having magical powers. This is something i wouldnt normally do, because it interferes so much with other mods that need to use those files, but im definitely considering at least hijacking creature_standard.txt. This will almost certainly be part of the piecemeal, custom files, but also i hope something you can just slap ontop of the most basic version if you feel like it.

I might post bits and pieces of this stuff as i work on it, but it probably wont all be posted before the next version of df.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:19:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2019, 07:30:21 pm »

The secret of unnatural birth is... kinda messed up.

You should be proud.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2019, 02:40:52 pm »

I see my first wizard, and he wanders near my fort, and my guard animals and nearby dwarves all rush to attack him. He's considered a "wild animal" on the unit screen. Is this expected behaviour? I was rather hoping to learn his wise wizarding ways.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2019, 05:31:46 pm »

That is normal, unfortunately. Theyre an extremely rare wild encounter, like the animal people, occasionally joining civs in WG, but otherwise dont hang out around civilizations, normally. Like pseudo-hermits. I want to make them a civilized race next, in remote enclaves like the other two magic civs. This will make them a lot more common visitors.

Best luck is to attract a historical civilized wizard. Otherwise, you could trap them in a cage, dump them in a well and stab them with retracting spikes to get their blood, which will make your dwarves wizards.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:31:23 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 09, 2019, 05:35:53 pm »

Otherwise, you could trap them in a cage, dump them in a well and stab them with retracting spikes to get their blood, which will make your dwarves wizards.

This is a good mod.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2019, 06:32:11 pm »

I do try :v
You can do the same with vampires in vanilla, btw.

Oh, and on the topic of horribly depraved creations, the birth secret as it is now is likely to be replaced in the next update, where it looks like relationships can form and result in children without marriages, so if theres a personality trait linked to that, the secret might end up being something that modifies that for a long enough duration for relationships with potential for out-of-wedlock children to form.

But that doesnt rule out the possibility of equally depraved secrets, like for lust. I have contemplated, thanks to the success rates of testing mixed intelligence races, making a secret which removes a persons intelligence, or transforms them or animals into unintelligent members of playable races, which can then be impregnated by one-another or normal people, which would also increase child birth rates. Though if the mother was a "tame" pet instead of a person made unintelligent, then the children would also be referred to as "tame," though this doesnt prevent them taking noble positions or military service/labors, so long as they are born intelligent.

If thats also too horrifying, i would appreciate your feedback.
I make Spellcrafts!

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2019, 10:14:36 pm »

Aha, OK. Glad it's all working right then. Murdering people for their blood isn't really my style. Would they dispense their magical wisdom from a cage?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2019, 11:03:07 pm »

Unfortunately creatures cant act from inside a cage so no. And if you trap them inside fortifications theyd probably get aggro'd by a dog and start flinging fireballs...

Yeah, im gonna have to do something about that.
I make Spellcrafts!

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2019, 12:22:03 pm »

Maybe you could change your Magician Civ from Dwarves to Wizards. If they were prevented from sieges, caravaning, and such, they'd still send out visitors, I think?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:24:01 pm by Arkenor »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29