Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 173199 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2020, 01:53:04 pm »

Ok, so since Toady is releasing sometime this month, i wanted to finalize my changes too and release something stable before February. To that end I've spent all week making new things vaguely functional and old things less buggy. There is a known intermittent crash someone reported regarding any creature that doesnt have enough variability in body sizes, so I'm going through the raws and making sure every critter has at least the length/width/heigth variabilities, to prevent that from happening. This will result in some oddness in descriptions like the casting basins, what's supposed to be an inanimate object, being described as "large" or "quite wide" or "muscular" perhaps, or having other descriptive attributes one would associate with living creatures. The alternative of course is the game crashing to desktop, so it's not exactly optional. Maybe they're just ornately carved and stylized?

Other changes will include bringing back "natural-born" magic users and curses from the very earliest version. It's not perfect because it has to jump through some hoops to avoid having to use castes, but it also lets me set civilization/cultural-specific magical abilities as well as racial powers, without modifying even more vanilla raws (to reduce mod conflicts).

This will also get rid of the wizard as a race/creature of its own. Instead "natural wizards" will be granted their abilities at random - rarely - in any civ, and in the wizard civs have special factors that increase the chances of one becoming a "natural wizard." There will not be natural werebeasts because embarking with a werewolf in your starting seven would basically be an instant lose condition, but there -might- be natural vampires to spice things up, though that is also fairly mean so im leaning away from it.

There are only a handful of alchemical potions and enchanted basins, but hopefully I can add on to those later. Right now potions depend on certain reagents related to their function, like ashes for fireball potions and balmleaf for healing potions.

More later...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2020, 08:13:41 pm »

New file is uploaded. Its a bit in shambles, but it includes most changes I've made even if theyre not fully implemented yet. If you're good at modding, you can attach the racial abilities interaction to an essence, drink and melting cloth material and it should start working from there. But, the cultural side and many of the racial abilities are not implemented at all.

I'm currently preoccupied with trying to find new employment so I dont end up living with family again, this started about a week ago. Development is postponed for now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:15:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2020, 02:16:27 pm »

I've been recommended this mos due to having started to tinker with some spell-related stuff myself, and having seen your take on it I like the way you handle it, though I'm likely to stick to the far more limited implementation I'd laid the foundation for prior to taking a look. Secrets showing up in worldgen seems adequate for me, as I'd rather ensure magic is fairly uncommon, though I did tinker with allowing you to drink a mage's blood as an alternative method.

For adventure mode though, I'm currently working on a more controlled method that doesn't depend on worldgen to access. I like the idea of reactions that can produce random results, but for what I'm doing I went with a variation on the existing alchemical stuff I had implemented. In this case it'd require hunting down megabeasts/SMBs to learn a single spell by crafting the item from their heart, or other materials triggered by itemcorpse, in the case of non-fleshy beasts. In this case it's more controlled as each beast is thematically linked to a specific spell, but it also raises the bar for entry significantly, and makes it more centered around collecting a handful of specific functions the player might want to acquire.

Definitely interesting ideas here in any case, and hope that things go well for you.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2020, 05:32:11 pm »

I was thinking of adding some creature-specific alchemy/spells from consuming them too, but haven't gotten around to it and wanted to have regular, slightly-less resource-demanding alchemical reactions available in fort mode too. I would totally love to see how you handled creature potions and stuff

I'm actually still trying to divorce learn-able spells from secrets and secrets from night creature stuff to make everything more modular and make it easy to remove or add parts you as a player might want. It's happening, but probably won't happen for a while yet, a lot of things turned out to be more interwoven and inter-reliant than I thought they were.
I make Spellcrafts!

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2020, 06:25:24 am »

Will definitely be testing out future releases

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2020, 10:27:08 pm »

Release imminent!

Finally got most everything updated to DF 47.04. Only big thing lagging behind is the unique civilization stuff, because the df update somehow makes all the old entities crash the game even when updated with all the proper new stuff. Working on recreating everything there, but I had to leave it out simply because it's taking too long.

So the old healing and summoning stuff has been replaced, for the most part, with the new effects from DF 47.01. Necromancy secret in particular got the new undead lieutenants and summoning. A few old bugs have also been fixed, including werebeasts showing up as tavern visitors and crashing your party from the inside, which always made a terrible mess of things. Some wording and naming conventions have been altered or fixed, and combat strings for familiars and enchanted basins have been removed so they dont spam your combat reports in fort mode.

Next time, hopefully finish recreating civ structures, finish that storms and telekinesis school, and maybe new fun things like experiments (if we can figure out how to get them included) and some werebeasts
I make Spellcrafts!

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2020, 04:35:55 pm »

Hello, I’m Mr. Stupid. I don’t know how to download this mod properly, because again, I am Mr. Stupid. What am I supposed to do?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2020, 10:37:58 pm »

I should probably make better instructions tbh I haven't thought about it in a while sorry

1) Once you download the file, you can place the zip file directly in the [dwarf fortress install directory(where the games .exe file is)/raw/objects folder and extract all. It should create a bunch of new text files in the raw/objects and raw/objects/text folders, and one new folder with a couple more files in it; a readme and a "list of spells" file and a entity_default.txt file.

Note; if when you extract the zip file, your file program creates a new folder inside raw/objects like raw/objects/"spellcrafts_x" and places all the creature_spellcrafts_x and interaction_spellcrafts_x files inside it along with the folder containing the readmes and the text folder, then you will have to cut and paste everything in that folder out into raw/objects, so that the mods' files are alongside the other game raw files and the "text" folder from the mod merges with the games' own text folder.

2a) If you don't have any other mods or you're sure your other mods don't make any changes to the entity_default.txt file, you can just copy-paste the entity_default.txt file in the new folder into raw/objects itself and overwrite the original when it asks. Then just delete or move out of the raw/objects folder the extra files folder and zip file, and generate a new world and you're done.

2b) If you do have other mods installed, you can open the readme.txt file, and inside is a block of code that should start with [permitted_job:alchemist]. Select that and everything below it down to where it returns to normal English text, and copy it. Then go back into raw/objects itself (not the subfolder) and open entity_default.txt, and under where it says entity:mountain, scroll down a few dozen lines, and paste in that block of code. Then hold ctrl-f and search for entity:plains, and under that again scroll down and paste in that block of text. That should be enough to let dwarves and human civs in-game sell you magic potions and let you make your own. If your other mods add more entity_x files (spellcrafts adds to entity_magicians) you can also go into entities they add and give them the same code. Then delete/move out of the raw/objects folder the extra files folder and zip file, and generate a new world.

2c) If you have another big mod installed and entity_default.txt doesnt exist anymore, you will have to consult with that mods author to figure out which entity_x.txt file and entity definition corresponds to their playable race(s) so you can perform step 2b above.

Or ignore the above, I have added a second playable civ that already has the magic reactions and stuff added, in entity_magicians.txt. the entity should always call itself something like a cult or coven or other weird things, and rarely has more than one site on the world map, so it can be identified by that in the entity selection screen.

3) You can safely delete the folder containing the readme and extra files once installation is complete. In fact I would recommend it. I would also delete the zip file or store it elsewhere outside your dwarf fortress game directory.

Let me know if you have any other problems, thank you!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:51:10 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2020, 06:14:54 pm »

I did as you said and everything’s working fine! Having fun so far, great mod.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2020, 07:39:38 pm »

Thank you! Let me know how it goes!
I make Spellcrafts!

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2020, 09:37:07 pm »

Well, I started with playing adventure mode. I made a Wizard and an Ork (I think the Wizards name was Xetan or something similar and the Orks was Ase) with both having horses. I had fun messing around and learning about how magic works, beginning when two humans ambushed me and we utterly slaughtered them. Eventually I gave both of the horses sapience. They were surprisingly polite.

Then we all went to go fight a Cyclops....and everyone except Xetan was brutally slaughtered, and that was only because he became an Adamant Sentinel. Eventually I killed the Cyclops by pinching off his nose and letting him suffocate, and then I took the corpse of Tup the horse. I’m pretty sure Ase and the other horse got melted during the battle. I was planning to eventually find the secrets of death to bring Tup back as an intelligent undead....then I was forced to turn into an albatross to escape a Dingo attack, and had to leave everything in my inventory behind.

So I wandered into a town and stole clothes and food and money, but eventually I wa so thirsty I had to retire Xetan. I plan to come back and unretire him soon, and maybe get back my stuff including Tups corpse.

9/10 not enough sapient horses

Angel71090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2020, 07:50:39 pm »

So, I'm glad you update your mods so quickly, that's quite great. Though, as I'm currently playing with 44.12 until some other mods get updated as well, I was wondering if there was a chance you might be able to put up a secondary download link for the older version of the game? Is there a chance of that? I'd really appreciate it!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2020, 09:50:04 pm »

Yeah, here you go; http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15030

I'm not going to be making future versions backwards-compatible, though, and new features of the mod won't be replicable without lots of dfhackery anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!

Angel71090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2020, 04:01:06 pm »

Yeah, here you go; http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15030

I'm not going to be making future versions backwards-compatible, though, and new features of the mod won't be replicable without lots of dfhackery anyway.

All good man, no problem. Thank you for this. Just more a stopgap measure until Mastercraft gets updated.

eightball8776

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 11, 2020, 06:02:05 pm »

Hey I am having a problem using this mod. Every time I select the main menu option "create new world!" with this mod installed the following lines appear in the error log.

*** Error(s) finalizing the material template SPELL_BOOZE_MAGICSPREADER_TEMPLATE
Interaction Token not recognized : SPELL_POWERS_RANDOM_CASTEBASED
Interaction Token not recognized : SPELL_DWARF_NOBREATHE
Interaction Token not recognized : SPELL_DWARF_NOBREATHE

Starting world gen will invariably cause dwarf fortress to quit itself after a few decades of world gen.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29