Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 173562 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2020, 12:12:25 am »

Thanks, those were fragments of what I'm currently working on for racial abilities, I've corrected those errors for the next update. The crashing thing I thought I worked out, but hopefully the next update will help more.

I don't know where all of the causes are coming from, any mod that involves entity changes at all seems to result in crashes. I've fixed crashes caused by fishing jobs + leisure time value, though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:15:14 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ProbablyRed

• Bay Watcher
  • Real Human Bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2020, 07:49:05 pm »

A lot of spell interactions are getting marked as "Unknown interaction" due to game not recognizing the "MATERIAL_EMISSION" token, according to errorlog.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2020, 06:04:24 pm »

please post the errorlog so i can fix them, thanks
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ProbablyRed

• Bay Watcher
  • Real Human Bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2020, 08:37:34 pm »

My mistake, sorry, it seems the error stems from me accidentally deleting the Interactions_Standard File.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2020, 01:59:55 pm »

Oh that's good then right

I'll try to post an update in the next few days for the known bugs.
I make Spellcrafts!

Angel71090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 17, 2020, 08:56:49 pm »

Hey again there man. Thanks for the 44.12 legacy version! I'm still trying to get this to work with Masterwork DF, but as this is my first time adding things in, I'm running into some issues honestly. Generally the issues that seem to be linked to this are dwarves suddenly being lit on fire for seemingly no reason as soon as I unpause for whatever reason, and a nasty habit of maps being corrupted on generation or not loading ever again after being saved. There's a conflict in here somewhere, I just need to find it. Any chance you might be able to help me figure it out?

EDIT: I think it has something to do with adding your buildings and other things to the mod somehow. Instead of an Entity_Default, it has it's own custom files for each of the civs in there, and has a special way of sorting everything. I think that's because of it's launcher so you can selectively disable things from the launcher. Trying to figure out where to put what. Still would love help and I'll get back to you if I solve the problems.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:06:02 pm by Angel71090 »

bben2032

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2020, 02:39:54 pm »

What does conjuring the otherworldly beings do? I got a dwarf to do it but nothing happened. There were no otherworldly beings conjured. What am I doing wrong?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2020, 04:39:18 pm »

@bben; that interaction is kinda half-assed still, and I'm not at my computer, but iirc I set it up so a dwarf or animal inhales a gas it produces (which doesn't happen every time, notably) and transforms into a creature. That's one thing I want to change to a summon interaction, but then it will only be used during combat.

@angel; I honestly have no idea, the functioning of masterwork is a mystery to me, as theres apparently a bunch of HTML and dfhack scripting going on? I don't know any real coding languages unfortunately. You will probably have to ask in the masterwork forums how to add things.

My best guess would be to try and add the entity code from my readme file to one of the entities in masterworks files. I would just throw it in right after the [entity:x] string, maybe it will work. As for how to get everything else to be recognized by it's launcher, no idea.
I make Spellcrafts!

Angel71090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2020, 05:29:12 pm »

@bben; that interaction is kinda half-assed still, and I'm not at my computer, but iirc I set it up so a dwarf or animal inhales a gas it produces (which doesn't happen every time, notably) and transforms into a creature. That's one thing I want to change to a summon interaction, but then it will only be used during combat.

@angel; I honestly have no idea, the functioning of masterwork is a mystery to me, as theres apparently a bunch of HTML and dfhack scripting going on? I don't know any real coding languages unfortunately. You will probably have to ask in the masterwork forums how to add things.

My best guess would be to try and add the entity code from my readme file to one of the entities in masterworks files. I would just throw it in right after the [entity:x] string, maybe it will work. As for how to get everything else to be recognized by it's launcher, no idea.

I managed to seemingly get it working so far and loading as well. The coding for Masterwork is a bit different, yeah, and it's got a lot of things in subdivided parts inside the entity folder to allow for enabling and disabling different parts of the mod itself. What I did was add the parts of your mod into the place they seemed to fit the most and from there it seemed to work, thankfully. I've included a link to a copy of the Dwarf Entity file if you are interested as well as the human one. Seeing as you said it needed to be in mountains AND plains, and I didn't do the latter before, that might have been the major donk up here.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15083

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2020, 01:40:57 pm »

Thanks I'll take a look later. You don't have to add the reactions and stuff to any entity if you don't want to, but you won't get magic items in human civs or be able to use them in regular dwarf entities if you dont, so you'd be stuck with magic only available in wizard civs
I make Spellcrafts!

Angel71090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2020, 11:48:17 am »

Thanks I'll take a look later. You don't have to add the reactions and stuff to any entity if you don't want to, but you won't get magic items in human civs or be able to use them in regular dwarf entities if you dont, so you'd be stuck with magic only available in wizard civs

Yeah, I figured as much, but what's the fun of locking yourself out of part of the mod you added you know? Honestly, I'm beginning to believe it's a different mod, this one seems to work completely okay now, which is awesome. Hope my data helps somehow. I'm gonna poke around at this other mod some more and see if I can't find which file is giving me the headache. Think I narrowed it down. Wish me luck!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 22, 2020, 05:55:38 pm »

Update has just been posted: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6378

Fixed some of the bugs causing worldgen crashes and the errorlog comes up clean on a df install with no other mods. The summon extradimensional beings reaction will now produce a "soul essence" a dwarf can eat and then summon a critter, but like it says on the tin, extremely dangerous. You could summon a terrible demonic entity that kills everyone it sees. Or a spider-llama, for silky-goodness.

There are also changes you will want to make to vanilla DF to make it less crash prone if you're copying in the reactions and buildings manually: in entity_default.txt, under ENTITY:MOUNTAIN, under the values section, change [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:15] and [VALUE:MERRIMENT:15] both to [...:-5]. Then copy and paste both of those in ENTITY:PLAINS underneath where it says [VARIABLE_VALUE:ALL:-30:30], so it should then read;

[VARIABLE_VALUE:ALL:-30:30]
   [VALUE:MERRIMENT:-5]
   [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:-5]

This should stop more of the worldgen crashes.

If you follow the "copy the entire entity_default.txt provided in the "Vanilla Entity and extra info" folder into the raw/objects folder" then you don't have to worry about that, because I changed the value tokens in that copy of the file to already.

I've been experiencing only very rare crashes now with that included, and can almost always generate worlds in excess of 200 years. But there's apparently still something causing crashes, and I don't know if its vanilla DF related or mod related, and It happens too rarely to just start cutting out chunks of the mod and waiting to see if the crashing stops, because it's like a 1 in 10 chance of happening anyway, so I can generate 20 worlds in a row without problems and suddenly it crashes again.

@Angel; I did look into the masterwork versions of the file and I'll take note of them for later when masterwork updates. Thanks for sharing them!
I make Spellcrafts!

Ironscalp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2020, 12:12:59 am »

Hi Eric, this is a nice mod

I have run into a problem though on it's latest release in 0.47.4(I think, my mind is foggy ATM)

Whenever I turn into a wisp in adventure mode it immediately starts melting and my character dies before they change back, I've even tried submerging the wisp in water but they keep melting... I hope it's not something I'm missing.. I added all the files (including the civ files ) to a completely vanilla game and yours is the only mod I use right now

Edit: just changed the numbers I remembered wrong
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:15:07 am by Ironscalp »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2020, 02:53:37 am »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

As an update, I have solved the melting issue, I intend to update soonish
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:42:26 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2020, 10:43:44 am »

started messing about with this again

When I get it working its smooth sailing but I'm both having trouble with crashes in world gen, and with loading saves from the few times I did get past the crashes.

Gonna keep trying tho because the lieutenant abilities I've pretty much played with entirely and I'm lookin for some more fun to be had in this newly updated DF

edit: scratch that, I got a save going and it's actually loading just fine so far
think I gen'd to around 260 years

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:39:45 am by gnome »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29