Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 172669 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2020, 04:13:49 pm »

Were you using the civilizations stuff? They were totally borked after the migration to 47.01, and I forgot to delete them from the civ set folder. I've updated that with the little bit I have done to replace the old civs, which should hopefully reduce the likelihood of crashes and allow a few of them to work. Right now I've got Komeng, Paklara, Vutchnell, and Tundra Giants set up, though not entirely complete culturally as they're largely still duplicates of the human civ.

I've updated the file again.

You'll want to delete all the old files associated with Spellcrafts before installing the update, Ive put all the special stuff for civs back in its own addon folder so it doesn't add all that extra junk to peoples games if they dont want it. The civs stuff is now under (raw/objects)/Addons - Spellcrafts/Civ Set.

Other crashes should be fixed if you use the entity_default.txt provided in the "Vanilla Entity and extra info" folder, or if you use other mods go into your own entity_default.txt and change every instance of [VALUE:MERRIMENT:x] and [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:x] to a negative number like -5, and then add;

[VALUE:MERRIMENT:-5]
[VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:-5]

after the [VARIABLE_VALUE:ALL:-30:30] in the human/PLAINS entry.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:22:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2020, 02:55:30 pm »

Thank your for your continued work on this mod! Not quite sure what all there is to try out at this point. I made the mistake of allowing my civ to have access to all the essences and now there are fires every time my dwarves go out to attack things because they're slinging magma around!
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 06, 2020, 03:52:17 pm »

So one thing I've noticed is that when you prep for an embarking, you get some 5-15 essences for foodstuffs. These are set to a value of 600 a pop and breaks the meta just a little bit.
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2020, 04:52:57 pm »

I haven't noticed that! I admittedly use preset embark profiles most of the time, so I haven't seen it happen. And I'm not sure what to do about it either, as making them as cheap as anything else or removing them from the civs availabiliyy lists aren't really desirable options. I have also noticed, with a completely different mod, that I've somehow got them embarking with 50k points even though that shouldn't be possible. I brought cave dragons on embark. No idea how, either.

The fire thing, yeah, usually not a good idea to let the general populace have access to  fire magic. I learned that like 8 years ago when I made cows breathe dragonfire on a whim; everybody died when the goblins attacked. Again, short of removing those effects there's not an easy solution. I would suggest keeping the magic workshops and their products separate from the rest of the fort both by distance and by burrow/stockpile restrictions, as usual. Only allow safe, non-fire-starting essences into the general dwarf/kitchen stockpiles.

You can also intentionally cheese it by incorporating spell essences into large stacks of prepared meals for the population to consume. For instance, I took a cheese elephant that came from an elven caravan and butchered it for a stack of 401 cheese, bought three stacks of 5 each essences of recuperation, shielding and holy spike, made a roast of all four stacks, which provides 416 servings providing all three magic effects to anyone who eats one. At least I'm pretty sure that'll work. The ones who ate them so far haven't been involved in combat yet so they haven't used their abilities, but I'm hopeful!

In development news, I've squished a couple bugs, renamed mammaroths to giant mammoths (I think there's only a couple mods that use mammoths at all anyway, so It probably won't get confusing) there's new summoning effects for any creature and any demon, dwarves will hopefully cast the spell to summon the critter pretty soon after eating the essence.

Summuning demons summons any creature with the [demon] tag, so it will summon the procedural demons from worldgen or the ones I or other modders have written. Procedural demons would almost certainly destroy your fort if they get summoned in an area that isn't secured with legendary warriors to fight them.

Summoning any misc creature will summon any valid creature at random, the only things that are off the table are vermin and a couple instances that might crash the game. So you could end up with a demon, a megabeast, a titan, a night creature, a human, or a deer. Anything.

Don't let random dwarves eat these, either. Probably shouldn't even make them without a secure facility to quarantine anything game-ending.

Using the tome of planes tool I'm going to let you narrow it down to more specific creatures or products. Working on that right now. You can still acquire one through trading via the "exchange" reaction in the conjuration circle.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2020, 12:32:41 pm »

How do I find a slab with a secret in a town in adventure mode? Do I just need to bumble around till I find it?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2020, 12:22:33 am »

Kinda yeah. I think the best places to look are in the mead hall/keep, or those new villa/tower houses historical figures can own. Maybe also check temples.

To be fair, I have never once found an artifact of any sort that was said to have been "lost" in a site/region or stolen and stored in a site. I have no idea what happens to those.
I make Spellcrafts!

MagentaFox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 30, 2020, 10:14:56 am »

Hey there, I have been using and heavily modifying your mod for several years now I think. I was wondering if it would be fine with you if I uploaded a game release with my heavily modified version of an old version of this mod.

On a side note, did you know that a world cannot generate several secrets with the same sphere? In my experience only the first secret of any given sphere will generate. I'm not sure if you changed this stuff by now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 30, 2020, 12:58:06 pm »

I don't mind if you upload a different version, but I would appreciate if you call it something else, and credit me for whatever version you used. And of course gizogin and everyone else I credited directly for their help.

And yeah I learned about the issue with multiple secrets a while back, don't remember exactly. I've been trying to use only one secret per sphere and make each somewhat secret unique. To that end, though, lots of "evil" secrets end up looking similar. For example, blight, death, darkness, nightmares and thralldom I think all had animation effects and now all have summoning effects. They should still build towers, but with the newest version it looks like only generated necromancer secrets will be given an "entity" profile to go about conquering the world, so all my secrets will sit in their towers passively doing nothing, if they even get that far. They might show up at your fort as migrants instead.
I make Spellcrafts!

MagentaFox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2020, 07:36:57 pm »

Oh thank you, I wouldn't have proceeded without your blessing. I intend to give full credit wherever do.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 05, 2020, 02:18:32 am »

Kinda yeah. I think the best places to look are in the mead hall/keep, or those new villa/tower houses historical figures can own. Maybe also check temples.

To be fair, I have never once found an artifact of any sort that was said to have been "lost" in a site/region or stolen and stored in a site. I have no idea what happens to those.
Not sure if it applies from a rhetorical standpoint but I believe once upon a time one of my companions was beat to death with a stolen artifact by an ettin in its cave home. Not sure if it was reported as stolen but I imagined it was at some point

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 05, 2020, 12:36:28 pm »

Oh yeah, megabeasts that steal artifacts often hold onto them directly. I should clarify I was talking about kobolds or other intelligent thieves hiding them in a site.

I'm trying to prepare for another update right now, but I've hit a snag in that my laptops power cord broke, and it's a Dell laptop with that damnable "smart tip" technology that actively prevents any other manufacturers power cords from charging the laptop even if the voltage/wattage/amperage are correct, so I'm being forced to go search for the exact model power adapter made for my laptop.

The update covers several bugs I or players discovered, including chimeras not having a caste name and showing up as "nothing." Sleep roots' dream ale no longer knocks your dwarves out for a full year, instead they have a vial extract that does that. It will knock dwarves out sooner and for longer than regular alcohol if over-consumed, but still less than a week. Death roses' alcohol has been replaced entirely with a vial extracted poison. If you put the vial extracts into mugs in adventure mode and hand them to people, theyll drink it without a second thought, successfully poisoning them.

Lovers barb alcohol has been boosted to further encourage people to form relationships by messing with their personalities while under it's effects. It should function as a sort of love potion, and idling dwarves affected by it should quickly form new relationships and find lovers amongst other idlers they socialize with.

The kineroch school is finally becoming available.

There was an attempt to fix the situation with self meditation being repeatable until you eventually get racial powers. Not everyone is supposed to get something of course, only a small subset of the population. Familiars can grant the self-meditation power, other sources pending testing.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 04, 2020, 04:28:14 pm »

Greetings. I'm playing with this mod and I've been enjoying everything, casually playing as a primeval vampire, until I encountered an issue. When I strangle humans (for some reason, I've only noticed the issue with them), the cloaks they're wearing spontaneously combust, and the tile where the cloak's wearer is is surrounded in fire.
Also, when I drink humans' blood from the ground (as a fluid), I get messages like "You're caught in [NAME]'s boiling human blood!"
This's a temperature glitch, I believe..? Sorry, I am kind of new to the game.

So uh, can I, please, get a solution and/or an explanation for the glitch?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 04, 2020, 04:33:36 pm »

Dude I have no idea. I'll check it out myself and see what's going on. I know I haven't seen it happen when encountering primeval vampires myself

What equipment are you wearing and what materials are they made of? That might be inportant
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 04, 2020, 04:36:03 pm »

Alright then, thank you for your quick response! I'll be very grateful if you'll reply to the thread once a fix for the glitch has been released, so I can notice that and download the updated version of the mod.

And I've only encountered the glitch while playing as a Primeval Vampire, so yeah.

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 04, 2020, 04:36:31 pm »

On the materials, let me check...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29