Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 172079 times)

Locksoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2021, 04:10:23 pm »

Hey, so a couple of issues I'd like to ask about.

First off, I'm still getting crashes during world gen (usally during advanced world gen). I recreated it several times by changing different values, such as megabeasts, or night creatures, or even the number of civs. I have the Primal mod, so I tested between the two and it's definitely Spellcrafts. I only mostly fixed it by removing the "creature_standard_spellcrafts" file, which makes it happen less often.

Second, if I do try to generate a world while having the standard file, and I have the generic fantasy civ file, then the weird fantasy creatures still take over too many spots. I'm wondering if there is a way to stop this, or if it's intended to have all the modded civs in the game.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:47:33 pm by Locksoli »

Oreos

• Bay Watcher
  • Adventure Mode Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 29, 2021, 12:04:21 am »

Hey, so a couple of issues I'd like to ask about.

First off, I'm still getting crashes during world gen (usally during advanced world gen). I recreated it several times by changing different values, such as megabeasts, or night creatures, or even the number of civs. I have the Primal mod, so I tested between the two and it's definitely Spellcrafts. I only mostly fixed it by removing the "creature_standard_spellcrafts" file, which makes it happen less often.

Second, if I do try to generate a world while having the standard file, and I have the generic fantasy civ file, then the weird fantasy creatures still take over too many spots. I'm wondering if there is a way to stop this, or if it's intended to have all the modded civs in the game.

Im having this problem too, i've noticed it does not crash if mine does not generate more than 52 years of history. i have no other mods

Locksoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2021, 10:35:32 am »

Im having this problem too, i've noticed it does not crash if mine does not generate more than 52 years of history. i have no other mods

Yeah, I basically removed all references to the mod civs (Vutchnell, Gnoll, ect.) in the raws, and I was able to make world gen work. I compared the raws from the last version to the new one, and it seems like those new civilized creatures were added to everything, and not having them plays a big part of what's causing the crash, at least based on my errorlogs. I'm not really against the idea of adding all of them, but I'd prefer not to overrun my map with them, so I like leaving them out.

If I feel like it, I might see if I can't make personal files to make the "weird" fantasy races more like beast men, so that they don't take over towns and stuff.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 30, 2021, 02:19:50 am »

They all have LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE and LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES, so removing their civ references will result in them occasionally showing up as pops from the wild.

If you remove the entity_spell_civs_weird_fantasy.txt the only civs theyll show up as are rogue mages (which are cave civs), reclusive wizards (only individual mountain halls), and wizard empires, which might be the problem with expanding too much (there's no way to control expansion of city-building civs). Vutchnell are the only one used outside the weird fantasy file. the generic fantasy file still only includes high elves, blood elves, and orks. If youre actually seeing gnolls, dryads, komeng etc and youve deleted entity_spell_civs_weird_fantasy.txt, please post a save and world-history.txt and world_sites_and_pops,txt files so i can figure out where they're showing up.

The actual crash I havent pinned down yet, but if it is in the standard races file, that narrows it down a lot.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 30, 2021, 03:42:12 am »

I wasn't able to confirm it tonight but i was able to generate 6 (small) worlds in a row up to 1050 years after removing the giant mammoth and giggling toad entries from the creature_standard_spellcrafts file. The crashing persisted after removing all the sapient races even with just those two left, but appears to have subsided upon removing them. Have not tested with readding the intelligent races, but if you would try deleting those two creatures only and running the mod with everything else intact and then again with all the new races removed but with those creatures, that would help narrow it down. Ill have to wait till I get off work tomorrow night to test again myself.

That turned out to be a dead end, as did removing the entire creature_standard_spellcrafts file and all the entity files. Still crashes with the same frequency - rarely enough you think its finally gone for 10+ world gens and then crashes four times in a row. Very frustrating, as it has been. But that's why I released the update when I did; it's going to take a while to figure this out
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:28:29 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 31, 2021, 12:48:50 pm »

I've returned to this thread once more. As usual, I'd like to thank this mod's author for the great work. Playing with Spellcrafts is a lot of fun. :D

Also, I have yet another question to ask. What is that 'big sucky bite' attack Primeval Vampires can perform after the last update?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 31, 2021, 01:48:45 pm »

Shit, that was meant to test instantly killing people by blood draining! It drains enough to kill huge animals like elephants and giant giraffes in one go. I must have forgotten to remove it when I uploaded the update. Whatever you do, don't let that attack land when you're fighting a primeval vampire, you will instantly die of blood loss. The regular bite will also drain a human in 6-12 successful hits, usually.

No further luck figuring out the crash last night. Still back to square one. Going to test the individual modules over the next few days.

By the way, each module has now been separated into different folders if you want to build a version of the mod with only certain features. They're in the addons and extras folder. That literally took like 3 years to sort out and test haha
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:51:05 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 31, 2021, 03:56:25 pm »

Thank you for your answer, but I've got yet another question. If I ever manage to annoy the hell out of you with my dumb questions, just tell me and I'll buzz off.

But anyway, what do I do with the 'misc summoning essences' I gain by 'summoning anything'? All's clear with spell essences, I gotta eat them to obtain the spells, but what do I do with summoning ones?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 31, 2021, 05:01:14 pm »

Gotta eat those too. Eating/drinking consumables is the only reliable method of ensuring you get a syndrome thats supposed to be guaranteed and produced by a reaction. Boiling stones works, but not 100% of the time, because creatures doing the reaction have to breathe in the vapors while they're airborne, which doesn't always happen because they don't take a breath every tick. There's no way to go from reaction to the reaction-doer getting an interaction or cdi immediately, something has to deliver the syndrome, hence having to eat essences/potions.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it helps me know whats important or unclear!
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2021, 06:49:59 pm »

I've eaten the misc summoning essences, but nothing happened. I haven't gotten any Acquired Powers either. Also, is it normal that I don't notice any effect from attribute-related spells (ex. disease resistance)?
And finally, do Primeval Vampires have their attributes boosted because of blood draining? Asking because I usually start my games with Superior strength, agility and toughness, and after a while, they become Super-Primeval Vampire. I've also noticed that with other playable vampire races in other mods, where these particular attributes increased from Superior to Super[SPECIES_NAME_HERE].
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:55:39 pm by Kyuuketsuki_23 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 01, 2021, 02:16:29 pm »

The summoning essence is a short term effect that might disappear after travelling, and might take a few ticks to become available after eating. Ill double check its still working, too.

The attribute related spells should take effect, I know the super-powered buff i used to test does increase strength correctly even to the point it over-buffs you and wrecks speed, but the mundane, low level ones don't provide a huge boost, so it might not be immediately noticeable.

Drinking blood doesn't boost vampire attributes currently. Its something I thought would be cool to do, but doesn't seem to trigger after feeding. You're probably gaining attributes from skill use or running around, although P. Vamps don't get bonuses to gains iirc. It may be that combining the buff with attribute gains results in faster or permanent attribute increases, not sure there.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 01, 2021, 02:30:14 pm »

Alright, all's clear for now. Thank you very much for your response!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 02, 2021, 02:32:10 pm »

I hereby arrive to this thread once again with a humble request. OP, could you please release a mini-update with a removal of the Primeval Vampires' "big sucky bite" attack? I'm playing a PV and I don't wanna cheat, but that specific sort of strike keeps getting a blue "!" (aka, a buffed attack symbol, from what I understood) which I have to avoid using during battles 'cause I want to play fair, and it's quite annoying.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2021, 03:37:16 pm »

Maybe this weekend since I'll be off work. Or I might sleep for 48 hours straight, work is kicking my ass tbh
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2021, 03:39:29 pm »

Alright, I'll wait as much as needed. Thank you for your time.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29