Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 173097 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2022, 01:01:02 am »

Thank you, ill keep that in mind for the future, maybe change how the syndromes work soonish
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 04, 2022, 11:10:58 am »

Greetings, fellow Spellcrafters! I've stumbled upon yet another mystery while playing this splendid mod. What is "Cursed Luck"?

You see, I was just running magical experiments in Adventurer Mode while I found the following line in my character's thoughts:

He feels hopeless due to Cursed Luck.

What could that possibly mean?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 04, 2022, 11:41:31 am »

Unless you've been toppling statues/rolling sacred dice, it's probably one of the temporary negative effects you can pick up from experimenting with essences. It'll give you bad skill rolls for a while, but will go away in time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 04, 2022, 11:59:33 am »

Got it, thanks a lot for the information!

While I'm here, another question: why does my Primeval Vampire have his own blood in his mouth all the time, without any injuries? Is it a way to make his bites have a chance of spreading his condition?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 04, 2022, 01:17:03 pm »

Got it, thanks a lot for the information!

While I'm here, another question: why does my Primeval Vampire have his own blood in his mouth all the time, without any injuries? Is it a way to make his bites have a chance of spreading his condition?

Kinda, bit also to "infect" the primeval vampire themselves with that same syndrome, as it was the easiest transmission vector besides giving them an on-self only interaction that they might not decide to use.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 04, 2022, 03:50:32 pm »

Understood, thank you! And last but not the least, my final question for now: could you, please, make it so that not everyone & everything is hostile to a Primeval Vampire? It makes playing as one rather repetitive, due to countless battles breaking out over me simply approaching living beings. Furthermore, even creatures I summon that are supposed to be tame attack me on sight, which takes away summoning minions as a very interesting part of being a Spellcrafter. And finally, due to me making characters who enjoy arguing, it breaks immersion to just chat mid-fight with a civilian like,

Me: "Let us stop this pointless fighting!"

Them: "I will fight no more."

Me: "Power is cool." (don't remember the exact lines from this point on)

Them: "Nah."

Me: "Wow. We've argued for long enough, now die."

All in all, Primeval Vampires are immensely powerful, but making them Megabeasts takes a lot away from their Adventurer mode gameplay. Also, I recently died to a summoned Forgotten Beast despite having started as a Demigod adventurer, knowing countless spells and wearing high-quality equipment. This, too, is why I believe that they should no longer be counted as semi-Megabeasts.

Thank you in advance.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 04, 2022, 07:24:59 pm »

To be fair, they were added as and intended to be megabeasts, and I only left them playable as adventurers for fun. And unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about people attacking semimegabeasts.

You could always go the challenging route and track down and kill one to gain their powers! Although finding survivors after worldgen can be difficult, as they're only human sized, and yeah, thats a big weakness. I could downgrade them to a night creature, but they'd still have all the drawbacks of being a semimegabeast, and there's already a vampire type night creature. And they rarely survive worldgen either.

I'll definitely consider solutions since I've been messing with vampires and werebeasts anyway, though
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 05, 2022, 05:25:25 am »

I could downgrade them to a night creature, but they'd still have all the drawbacks of being a semimegabeast...

Sorry, but what exactly do you mean by these "drawbacks"?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2022, 01:59:08 pm »

Being attacked by people
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 05, 2022, 02:36:44 pm »

Ah, I see. But why'd that be? Wouldn't making Primeval Vamps Night Creatures make them able to blend in with ordinary people like normal Vampires do?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 05, 2022, 08:09:39 pm »

Thinking again, yeah it might make them passive by default.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2022, 01:21:02 am »

Oh, that's great! If so, may you, please, run some tests to find out if that works and, provided that it does and no one minds Primeval Vampires losing their semi-Megabeast status, upload a mini-update making Primeval Vamps Night Creatures? Provided that they remain playable in Adventurer Mode afterwards, of course. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 03:49:14 pm by Kyuuketsuki_23 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2022, 09:58:01 pm »

Well I tested it out and it doesnt help, you still get attacked.

If you really wanted to play as one without megabeast/night creature tags, you can always remove this line from the raws in creature_spellcrafts_megabeasts.txt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Removing the BIOME tag above it prevents them spawning in evil biomes, if you want to prevent that too. Pretty sure youll have to regenerate a new world, so might as well do it in the main raw/objects folder, not in the save's raw folder.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2022, 08:43:17 am »

Oh, I see. Then, I'll tinker with the raws a bit once I have some free time and report to you with the results immediately afterwards!

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2022, 09:52:42 am »

My experiments bear fruit, at last! Removing the following lines from creature_spellcrafts_megabeasts.txt makes everything neutral to Primeval Vampires:
[SEMIMEGABEAST][DIFFICULTY:8]
      [ATTACK_TRIGGER:40:100:1000]
   [CREATURE_CLASS:SEMIMEGABEAST]
   [LAIR:SIMPLE_MOUND:100]
   [HABIT_NUM:TEST_ALL]
   [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH:100]
   [HABIT:COOK_BLOOD:100]
   [HABIT:COOK_PEOPLE:100]
   [HABIT:COLLECT_TROPHIES:100]

Another humble request on my part: could you, please, post up a small update for the mod with creature_spellcrafts_megabeasts.txt replaced by an identical copy of itself, only with these exact lines removed? Provided that you - and the other users of Spellcrafts - don't mind, of course. I'm asking because it'd be quite burdensome to locate and remove them after each and every update you make. :D
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29