Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 173648 times)

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »

This looks really elegant, can't wait to give it a try!

I spent a lot of time fiddling with material emissions for my old pokemon mod, and yeah, it's pretty obtuse unless you want to lightly bludgeon things. The only snazzy thing I figured out was that, by making MAT_FIXED_TEMP absurdly low, and SPEC_HEAT absurdly high, I was able to make liquids and gases that could (with varying reliability) inflict the freezing effect on other creatures. Kind of a 'cone of cold' effect.

It's been a while since I've fiddled with spheres. Have you found a way to limit certain spell spheres to certain creatures? It'd be fun to play with elves having a monopoly of shapeshifting magic, goblins being all about fire and nightmares, dwarves eschewing pansy air magic, etc.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2016, 03:40:33 pm »

It would be as easy as restricting the species in the i target context, but i wasn't going to restrict species from learning a secret, no. Whether the secret is available depends on their civilizations deities, and the deities they worship and ethics/values they follow are dependent on culture, not species. An elf in traditional elven civilization wont be learning any secrets, because the force deities don't do that stuff right now. Goblin society has only their demon, and demons also don't hand out secrets.

I can do that with castes that know magic innately, I did in the original version and I've been thinking of reintroducing that in some way for a while. Still, even then it was based on chances, only I think kobolds and goblins lacked castes for specific magic types and for the other three races some were just more rare than others.

Could also do that through reactions-convert normal citizens into magic castes that otherwise only occur extremely rarely, if and only if the citizen in question passes some other criteria.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2016, 05:41:31 pm »

Gotcha, that makes sense. I think I'll just make some rare gob/elf castes for my game that use some of your spells. Probably better that way anyway, as I can limit it to siege-friendly spells.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 09:33:27 am »

DOUBLE POST
Do you know you can modify your messages, instead of double posting?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2016, 10:52:01 am »

The bad thing about modifying you post is that some people may not notice that something new has been posted if they are keeping up with threads using the "Show new replies to your post" feature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2016, 02:33:57 pm »

Exactly!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2016, 03:48:18 pm »

Is there supposed to be a magic workshop? If there is, it's not a build option...
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »

There is one, looking at the raw files I apparently entered the wrong ID into the string referencing it in the entity file. You can correct that by changing it from [PERMITTED_BUILDING:MAGIC_STUDY] to [PERMITTED_BUILDING:SPELL_MAGIC_STUDY]. Same error on the conjure circle and holy altar. Probably have to regenerate the world, knowing how picky the game can be about what entities have access to. My bad, and I'll upload a file with that corrected in both the entity files tonight!

I've been playing with night creatures and spells available to creatures naturally so I didn't notice. Thank you for letting me know!
I make Spellcrafts!

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2016, 08:05:57 pm »

Is there a complete list of spells you can give us, or do you want us to find out the spells via trial, error, elephants and FUN?
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2016, 10:34:23 pm »

A complete list of spells would be a massive pain in the arse for me to make up and you to read through, but I've included a new file that lists most of them, and a new readme file as well.

The download has been updated, and I'll update the thread OP too.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6378
I make Spellcrafts!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2016, 11:31:54 pm »

One of the changes in v4.04 caught my eye: Magicians Two civilizations are now playable in Fortress Mode. Was this intended, or could it be a debug thing that was left in?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2016, 12:04:37 am »

That was actually intended, and only the dwarvish civ is available. I figured some folks might want to play as those wizardy-dwarfs sometimes, though the difference between them and regular dwaarves is still quite small. Probably should have included that in the update log :P
I make Spellcrafts!

Elowin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2016, 06:35:01 am »

Just discovered this mod recently and it seems pretty damn cool. I always wanted a neat little magic system for DF.

That said, I'm not sure if it's just a problem on my end but it seems like the spells that are supposed to inflict syndromes on enemies, like lightning and curses, just don't do anything.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2016, 12:12:39 pm »

It might not have been an issue with capital letters in the file names, it might be an issue with the file nameds not being completely identical to the first line of the file. I think if the name isn't identical to the first line, then the file is just ignored.
The wiki (which we all know is never, ever wrong ;) ) says that the first line inside the file is the one that controls if there is a conflict.  I use capital letters in my modded files, but they don't depend on load order so everything just sort of works by accident.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2016, 03:26:53 pm »

Just discovered this mod recently and it seems pretty damn cool. I always wanted a neat little magic system for DF.

That said, I'm not sure if it's just a problem on my end but it seems like the spells that are supposed to inflict syndromes on enemies, like lightning and curses, just don't do anything.

They do sometimes fail to take effect simply because the target wasn't directly infected with the syndrome (creatures don't breathe every step, for instance, and liquids that land on clothes dont affect the skin beneath) but it could be any number of other things as well. I'll go ahead and test them some more. you're talking about curses so that's from the studying mechanic not secrets, correct?

One question: What creatures were you targeting? Were they vanilla creatures or modded? Sometimes modded creatures dont include, say, creature_class:general_poison, which is the class most of the syndromes act upon.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29