Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168269 times)

Elowin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2016, 04:20:31 pm »

Just discovered this mod recently and it seems pretty damn cool. I always wanted a neat little magic system for DF.

That said, I'm not sure if it's just a problem on my end but it seems like the spells that are supposed to inflict syndromes on enemies, like lightning and curses, just don't do anything.

They do sometimes fail to take effect simply because the target wasn't directly infected with the syndrome (creatures don't breathe every step, for instance, and liquids that land on clothes dont affect the skin beneath) but it could be any number of other things as well. I'll go ahead and test them some more. you're talking about curses so that's from the studying mechanic not secrets, correct?

One question: What creatures were you targeting? Were they vanilla creatures or modded? Sometimes modded creatures dont include, say, creature_class:general_poison, which is the class most of the syndromes act upon.

Yeah, no secrets. I got a few curses and lightning magic and decided to test them out. Tried using them multiple times on the same targets, never seemed to have any effect. They also didn't get hostile.
Most of the targets I tried were just regular elves and goblins.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2016, 04:33:57 pm »

Alright, I've tried them out in adventure mode again. It looks like they do work, but the chances that they take effect are less than 50%. There's not much I can do about that. Since they create a cloud on contact the creature has to inhale that gas, which doesn't always happen before it dissipates (creatures don't breathe every step). Increasing the number of projectiles won't help because only one cloud can exist at a time, and further projectiles will become part of that cloud but won't extend its hang time. I've tried it as a liquid, but clothes will negate its effect then, and directly applying the syndrome to the target without a material, but then the syndrome persists indefinitely and takes effect anew after leaving/returning to an area (or, if the player was "struck by lightning," then you'd get hit with the effect every time you sleep, wait, or drop out of the travel screen.) Which is bad.

I can't really think of anything besides maybe making it a solid glob, but then they'd all behave the same as the stone/metal bolts, and can't use syndromes.

Their not realizing you're trying to attack them is also a limitation of the AI: they don't see material emissions directed at them by a player as an attack, it seems, and since the interactions have the attack usage hint they wont use them on each other unless they're already engaged in combat.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

oh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2016, 02:03:21 pm »

Was it intentional that you can only transform into a fire demon once? If you try to do it ever again it just says "You take on the aspect of a fire demon!" and doesn't actually do anything to you.

:(

-Edit-

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:FIRE_DEMON_TRANS]
    [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
        [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]

[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
        [IE_TARGET:A]
        [IE_IMMEDIATE]
        [SYNDROME]
        [SYN_CLASS:WERECURSE]
        [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:50]
            [CE:CREATURE:DEMON_OF_FIRE:DEFAULT]

I'm no expert, but is it because you made it a werecurse and you can only get a werecurse once?

-Edit-

Aaaaaand... I just transformed twice in one lifetime...

Is this one of the effects that only works sometimes?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:49:02 pm by oh »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2016, 01:13:05 am »

I have no idea whats causing that, ill do some tests.

Well, I'm stumped. Still no idea why it would work only part of the time. The werecurse class is extraneous I suppose, so I'll make sure to remove that from the transformations.

Think I'm seeing a pattern here; the game might not do a transformation if you try to transform the instant you load the local area. You have to move/wait/act one step first it looks like, then your next action it should transform successfully.

Edit:
Apologies for absence. Have been kinda busy and not paying attention to df. I'll be releasing an update in a few days, most likely.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:12:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 01:00:12 pm »

Update has been posted. Fixed a couple problems we discussed here and an issue I found with the weresalamander
I make Spellcrafts!

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 10:27:48 pm »

Recently started using the mod, and I've found a couple issues. I am unable to make the advanced and master spellbooks. (Have all reagents, but it says I lack the aether residue), and the holy altar and conjuration circle don't appear to do anything. Otherwise, I am loving your mod.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:09:38 pm by EldritchVoid »

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2017, 04:25:28 pm »

Hey, Im also making a magic mod, and I wanted to know if a) I could use some of your resources, and b) if you would want any of the spells or aspects of MY mod in your game. I figure we both want more/better magic, so it would be cool to trade RAW's/ideas.

My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2017, 09:49:10 pm »

Recently started using the mod, and I've found a couple issues. I am unable to make the advanced and master spellbooks. (Have all reagents, but it says I lack the aether residue), and the holy altar and conjuration circle don't appear to do anything. Otherwise, I am loving your mod.

Ok, the holy altar/conjuration circle's reactions and stuff are actually still a WIP, so I haven't provided them, sorry.
The issue with aether residue, I'm a bit stumped as the reaction will accept any item made from aether residue (the material), so even if you turned it all into chairs or something it should be available. I'm going to try a couple things and get back to you. I'd say double check that the aether residue isnt stockpiled somewhere the workshop wouldnt have access to, or forbidden, just in case.

Hey, Im also making a magic mod, and I wanted to know if a) I could use some of your resources, and b) if you would want any of the spells or aspects of MY mod in your game. I figure we both want more/better magic, so it would be cool to trade RAW's/ideas.

I don't really mind if you use them, they're all basic functions you could throw together anyway, no DFhack involved. I'd appreciate being cited, though. And remember Gizogin, too, for throwing together that first Ice Spike spell that I used. I'd love to see what all you've got too.

Update; I've tested the reactions again myself and successfully produced the advanced and master spell books without issue. Would you maybe be able to upload the save?
I'm going to upload an update tonight anyway; I've changed the biomes and frequency of the wizard creature so that they're not quite so omnipresent and some other tweaks and fixes of issues I've found with the reactions in adv. Mode.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:00:54 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2017, 12:44:52 am »

Well, i only have 2 types set up, both of them summoning types. Druids have 30 diff. summon spells, with the rule of nature magic being that to create a life, there must be a death. Its all about balance. Low level spells include summon Rat, but you can also get Summon Giant Beetle, Summon Satyr, or, though its kinda rare, Summon Roc. Which makes you OP as fuck. The whole deal with the mod is each spell must be learnt seperately - so you can kinda customize ur spell lineup.Wizards use Arcane magic from primordials(a new megabeast, essentially a slade collosus) or a creation god. Arcane magic is a manifestation of raw power in physical form - specifically, in the form of a megabeast. Ancient Wizards can be much stronger than normal ones; if the creature that is a manifestation of their power survives long enough, and they do as well, a wizard's power may become so great that he can manifest a SECOND creature. (500 year cooldown on summoning spell, so ancient wizards grow in power if their megabeast survives). THEY require a corpse as a host which their power transmogrifies. Wizards, unlike Druids, are immortal. PLANNED additions are divine, psionic, and dark Warlock spells. Warlcoks are given powers for desecrating temples - the demons reqard you for your sin, in the ultimate mockery of the gods. Clerics can heal someones wounds, but only rarely(1 week cooldown on heal spells), boost physical attributes, and MAYBE boost skills, if i can find out how. And psionic chars start the game with the power, such as pyrokinesis, psionic manifestation(summoning), levitation(flight), or invisibility. However, psionic powers are the result of extra-dimensional energies absorbed through a rift in the universe, and make the child less natural - that means you can never learn Druid spells. Since druid spells can let you have stuff like an army of polar bears, giant cave crocodiles, or even Rocs, its a fair enough tradeoff for letting you start the game with magic. On top of that, all semi-megabeasts will be re-classified as megabeasts, and semi-megabeasts is now a special new creature - Wanderers. A Wanderer is always a wizard, druid, or cleric, and they either travel the world, visiting fortresses and teaching people magic, or hiding in caves like hermits - sometimes even building towers. These are magicians which have lived since the dawn of the world, and while more powerful than a normal human, they can be killed. However, they may also teach those who seek them out incredible secrets, and spread magic throughout the world.

Only wizards, necromancers and warlocks will be immortal, and only warlocks will not require food or drink. Warlock magic is not spread through books - they can teach it to an apprentice, or it can be spread by drinking the blood of a warlock or cleric.(clerics have a second syndrome that grants them no powers, but makes their blood grant the drinker warlock powers, as it, too, represents an insult to the gods.) Warlocks will, ideally, be ostracised by the people, and attacked by guards and other types of spellcasters, who are NOT inherently evil.

Lastly, and this will be released as an update, rather than with the original mod, a new civ will be created called Inquisitors. If I can find out how, I will make Inquisitors loathe and seek to kill Druids, Warlocks, Wizards, and Psions the world over. But making a race target and seek out people with specific sydromes is, as far as i know, impossible, so thats probably out. Any other types of magic/creature that may be added hae not been thought of yet. And yeah, the prime types of magic should have just about been represented - Arcane, Divine, Druid, Psionic, and the less common Demonic/Blood magic of the Warlock. Each type has spells seperated into different syndromes, so if the proper Wanderers spawn, and the right people crave immortality, it can be possible to learn Summon Raven, Summon Giant Beetle, First Healing Rune, Spearmans Blessing and Pheonix on a single individual, if he travels far enough and speaks to the right people. Unlike undead, Druid creatures are not inherently violent, so its easier to learn Druid magic than the other types, which may be more jealously guarded; other than the original slab, im considering making it so that Divine magic cannot be learned through writings, though it may be taught - and Clerics also become more powerful warriors when they gain powers, so their blood will not be so easily spilled. They have a reasonable chance of f*cking you up, big time. Wizards may or may not share magic, and since they will not build towers, they will be harder to find - and you cannot be a Warlock if you are a vampire/werebeast. So desecrating temples only has a CHANCE of making you a warlock. If it is possible, Divine Wanderer's will carry Holy Water, which will make Divine magic learnable in adventure mode even if no divine slabs appear, and all Clerics have to learn from masters. Thats pretty much it - the Druid and Wizard parts, as well as the primordials, are done. The Warlock is still being worked on, and the Clerics and Psions will go last, on account of im not very good with Castes, and Clerics are going to be a real pain.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2017, 12:49:02 am »

Oh, and so warriors are not underpowered, and wanderers are actually extra strong, they will carry magic weapons that give positive syndromes. Magic weapons that make you stronger, more skilled, or maybe that just make a certain type of enemy weaker, like a Giantbane sword that Giants are weak to.
GENERATION 28:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »

I don't know about that last part regarding weapons; solid objects cant pass on a syndrome, so neither the wielder nor victims of a toxic material weapon will ever be affected by that toxin. Creatures can be made vulnerable or resistant to a specific material, like a "giants bane copper" but that weakness needs to be written into their creature definition, and you can't make them weak to a particular weapon type, just the material the weapon is made from. Theres a lair token minotaurs use that let's them carry weapons, but you couldn't ensure they're made of a particular material, and iirc you can only select them by skill, not the specific weapon you want.

You could however give the creatures an extra butcher object that is a weapon made of a specific material. The creature won't be able to use that itself, because it doesn't technically exist until the player butchers it.

Ideas sound good in general, though
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:03 pm »

I thought items could be syndromed, but thx for telling me how it really is! As for the Giants Bane Copper thing, yeah, i figured that would be the case - but its all good. Ill make one type for each mega beast - including giants and ettins and such, since they get promoted - first, and maybe certain other weapons, like trollbane swords for trolls. But definitely for megabeasts. And yeah, amking magic more common is a pain, but by making Wanderers semi-megabeaasts, it becomes something you can adjust; something with high Secrets but low semi-megabeasts could be a world where magic is rare, but present, and increasing both means that you could have spellbooks and spellcasters in your starting area, let alone psionics, which guaruntees a new player can use magic. The whole idea of each spell being taught/learned sperately just feels like it should be done - and a couple of the healing spells you wrote are basically identical to what i was planning to do from scratch. Still dont know if a spell can increase skill levels though - like, temporarily(or permanently) increasing the Swordsman skill by 2. Or the Dodge skill.
GENERATION 28:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2017, 10:47:07 pm »

No, you cant increase skills. But you can increase luck, which gives you better chances of success at anything you do.
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2017, 02:51:39 pm »

Weeell, it woulve been nice. Anyhow, back to the drawin board on the wizards, seeing as they arent supposed to have a manticore army.
GENERATION 28:

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »

Ok, the holy altar/conjuration circle's reactions and stuff are actually still a WIP, so I haven't provided them, sorry.
The issue with aether residue, I'm a bit stumped as the reaction will accept any item made from aether residue (the material), so even if you turned it all into chairs or something it should be available. I'm going to try a couple things and get back to you. I'd say double check that the aether residue isnt stockpiled somewhere the workshop wouldnt have access to, or forbidden, just in case.

It was sitting unforbidden in the studio. I've made a new world and the issue persists, again with the residue sitting inside the workshop and not designated for any task.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:08:42 pm by EldritchVoid »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29