Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168264 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2017, 02:08:51 pm »

Hey, is it possible to make a sword readable, or a book into a more effective weapon? Experimenting with Runeswords, which will grant temporary syndromes when read - boosting strength, healing, raising the dead, anything that a magic user can do, but inficted temporarily by an item that also functions as a weapon.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2017, 06:09:20 pm »

Recently started using the mod, and I've found a couple issues. I am unable to make the advanced and master spellbooks. (Have all reagents, but it says I lack the aether residue), and the holy altar and conjuration circle don't appear to do anything. Otherwise, I am loving your mod.

Ok, the holy altar/conjuration circle's reactions and stuff are actually still a WIP, so I haven't provided them, sorry.
The issue with aether residue, I'm a bit stumped as the reaction will accept any item made from aether residue (the material), so even if you turned it all into chairs or something it should be available. I'm going to try a couple things and get back to you. I'd say double check that the aether residue isnt stockpiled somewhere the workshop wouldnt have access to, or forbidden, just in case.

It was sitting unforbidden in the studio. I've made a new world and the issue persists, again with the residue sitting inside the workshop and not designated for any task.

Should be working then, I'm having no problems on any of the worlds I've tried it on. Could you send me a copy of the save maybe?

Skelepound: I have no idea if that's possible, or if it is then how to do it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2017, 08:33:13 pm »

Recently started using the mod, and I've found a couple issues. I am unable to make the advanced and master spellbooks. (Have all reagents, but it says I lack the aether residue), and the holy altar and conjuration circle don't appear to do anything. Otherwise, I am loving your mod.

Ok, the holy altar/conjuration circle's reactions and stuff are actually still a WIP, so I haven't provided them, sorry.
The issue with aether residue, I'm a bit stumped as the reaction will accept any item made from aether residue (the material), so even if you turned it all into chairs or something it should be available. I'm going to try a couple things and get back to you. I'd say double check that the aether residue isnt stockpiled somewhere the workshop wouldnt have access to, or forbidden, just in case.

It was sitting unforbidden in the studio. I've made a new world and the issue persists, again with the residue sitting inside the workshop and not designated for any task.

Should be working then, I'm having no problems on any of the worlds I've tried it on. Could you send me a copy of the save maybe?
Nevermind, I've wasted your time it seems, I had no idea that it needed 5 residue. Sorry for wasting your time, I feel like an idiot.

However, I have found something that I know is actually a thing. I have recieved multiple no-attacker sieges on my new world from a tower that lasted for about a year, and tower sieges have always worked fine for me. I assume your towers aren't able to siege properly?

Master-level offense and defense are in the adv. category, but that is insignificant.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:05:07 pm by EldritchVoid »

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2017, 08:56:04 pm »

Well, if i figure it out, i'll pass it on, and hopefully help modders everywhere!... yea, i doubt it too.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2017, 10:38:21 pm »

Nevermind, I've wasted your time it seems, I had no idea that it needed 5 residue. Sorry for wasting your time, I feel like an idiot.

However, I have found something that I know is actually a thing. I have recieved multiple no-attacker sieges on my new world from a tower that lasted for about a year, and tower sieges have always worked fine for me. I assume your towers aren't able to siege properly?

Master-level offense and defense are in the adv. category, but that is insignificant.

Bad documentation on my part I guess. I don't think I listed the necessary reagents anywhere. :P

I've noticed the no-attacker sieges occasionally too, I think its because the towers dont have proper zombies or the zombies they have arent explicitly hostile, and I've been considering what to do about it.

And thanks for spotting the incorrect reaction category; I definitely hadnt caught that yet!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2017, 04:48:32 pm »

So I've been having some internal debates and I want others input on the ideas before continuing.

First off is making alternate schools of magic that specialize in certain areas, to be available along with what we have now, which would become a more general but less powerful basic school and might lose a few spells. This can work through wizards, by giving a particular caste of wizard access to a specific school they can teach as well as some general spells, and through spell books and study, which will probably mean lots more menus in game. The two magician civs would have access to different schools of magic, then, as could every other civ, though these would be hard set in the raws and not controlled by the RNG.
Second, is giving people knowing secrets the capacity to teach mundane (non-secret) spells related to their sphere, as wizards are now. So you could approach a fire warrior and if he's not hostile he could teach you fire-related spells from every school, but not those specific to his secret.
Third, is creating consumable plants, potions, and items which provide access to certain powers temporarily. These could be made via reactions or harvested from the environment. NPCs aren't smart enough to eat these intentionally, but in fort mode if they're mixed in to your food stockpiles your dwarves might consume them.
Finally, is the idea of returning to magical creature castes of various races in the general population. I.e. elves having naturally born druids who might be able to teach others. We had this in older versions, but I removed them, with the net result being magic is far rarer in the general day-to-day populace and you'll only encounter historical figures who have gained powers in some way. These castes can be made to be incredibly rare and fit with the idea of schools of magic.
However, this would mean creature_standard.text is modified by default, so you'd be overwriting any changes you've made to anything in that file, say from other mods.

Regardless I have an update with a couple new secrets and some general fixes coming tomorrow.
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2017, 08:08:04 pm »

waaaaaaait a minute - different schools of magic? I feel somehow cheated..... :P

(jk bro, its cool)
GENERATION 28:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2017, 10:58:22 pm »

Yeah, I didn't even think of the overlap in nomenclature. The inspiration came from the recent threetoe story.
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2017, 04:04:45 pm »

Dig, im just jokin anyhow. But hey, curious for my own reasons, what kind of setup are you planning? Like, i seperated different effects into different types of magic, but on a broad scale - i could have made seperate schools for healing and stat boosts, or made one summoning group for animals and one for more magical creatures - or any manner of things. Basically, have ya any idea whut your Schools of Magic(tm) will be?

ADVERTISING MY MOD:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 28:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2017, 05:01:34 pm »

They would be related to a group of spheres, preferably, and the effects in a school would be dependent on those spheres. Some schools would probably end up with overlapping effects. I was going to stick fire, ice, and magma/volcanoes into one school, another that revolves around storms, so it might include thunder, lightning, and water, water might be shared with oceans and fish, which shares aquatic transformations with a polymorphy school that also overlaps with elven druid plant and animal worship that acts as a foil for dwarven mountains, alcohol and caverns. So on and so forth.

The idea is that you could learn magic in general, which gives access to a lot of common low-level effects, some advanced effects, and specific schools give access to something in between that level and secrets, and have more advanced and mastery spells that approach secrets in power. This would end up coinciding with making the general magic effects weaker and secrets much stronger, on average.

You can study specific schools via their associated spellbooks, probably needing some reagents available in environments or beasts associatable with those spheres that make up the school, could be found in the sites owned by civilizations that practice those schools, or from a wizard of a caste that practices that school of magic. So it would also coincide with wizards having multiple castes, with abilities and what they can teach dependent on their caste.

That's the rough plan anyway. It would be a lot of work and if I got it out all at once it would probably mean a long gap in development.
Anyway, 4.07 update has been posted to the download page. New spheres include Thralldom, Fate, and Deformity, and there were some fixes related to discussion in this thread and my own playtesting.
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2017, 07:08:17 pm »

What if you made it so that a wizard gets a slab, right, and from it he gets several syndromes - one for high magic, and some other normal magic syndromes. His normal magics can be taught to anyone, and even obtained thru studying in fortress mode - but to learn high magic, you must have the original slab. The wizard cannot teach it, or write a spellbook with its secrets - but "pure magic" can still be learned via the original slab. Since it came straight from a source of magic - commonly a god or megabeast - it is naturally closer connected, and much stronger. Just a thought!
GENERATION 28:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2017, 11:05:56 pm »

Well, there's no way to give a creature a slab straight off the bat, other than through secrets, which is kinda already going on, and that's exactly why one of my suggestions was to let knowers of secrets spread related mundane magics. When wizards use the "teaching" interaction they're creating the same magic syndrome material that you'd get learning from a book, and since they're not immune to the syndrome they also pick up the "knowledge" in the process of teaching. They also possess additional abilities they cannot teach, but can use themselves. So that's kinda already happening, just that they dont have the syndromes for the "normal" magic until they've tried to teach it, because there's no easy way to expose them to it beforehand.
However, in adventure mode this doesnt matter much because by the time the player meets them they've already "taught" a round or two to the people around them, so they and the people in the room with them have already picked up the syndrome. In fortress mode, they'll start teaching your dwarves as soon as they make it to the tavern. Could just make the wizard immune to the syndromes they can teach and give them copies of everything the syndrome does anyway, and that kinda makes sense.

By drinking the wizard's blood, you actually obtain their power, including the ability to teach, by becoming a wizard yourself. And by finding the slabs that are created with secrets, you would be able to learn everything associated with that secret.
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2017, 12:45:38 am »

well, most of that is what i was saying - they ge a secret as normal in worldgen, but i was suggesting that you make only the SLAB, not the slab AND the blood teach the greater magics - thus making slabs far more valuable, as with enough types of magic, you'll probably only have one slab of each magic type spawn. So you must seek out tthe Slab of Fire to get the best fire spells, or the Slab of Torment to get some of the best curses, dig? I think the blood bit makes it a bit easier to get the best spells - maybe make three tiers, one can be taught, two can be gotten through driking blood, but the top level can only come from the slab itself. Just helpin a homie out. :)
GENERATION 28:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2017, 12:54:26 am »

Oooh. Yeah, sorry, that is the idea. Wizards won't ultimately have access to the level of power that secrets offer, so yeah drinking blood is not as effective as reading a slab. I cannot into literacy.
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »

See, that works fine - tier 1 spells are taught/written in spellbooks, tier 2 are pretty great and require blood, and tier 3 shit is straight from the gods. I like it, but remember, STAY AWAY FROM TIER 15.

| (• •)| ( ᴥ ʋ)
GENERATION 28:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29