Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 173760 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2017, 03:16:58 pm »

Since nobody else has expressed an opinion, I'm actually going to move ahead with the plans I mentioned. The next update will be out in the next couple days and won't include any of it, but will have some new reactions available to fortresses, especially the dwarven magicians civ, to give access to new and interesting things. First up is the ability to transform female llamas you own into a spider-llama, a sterile female that produces silk cloth instead of eggs, milk that can be processed into silk, silky fleece to shear, and sprays silk webs at attackers. There will also be the option to turn your dwarves into vampires or were beasts, and some other fun things at the holy altar.

I don't plan to make these all available to the vanilla dwarf civ, but they'll have some unique ones too.

The human magician civ will get some too, eventually. They'll be more organized around beneficial, benign effects compared to the dwarven sorcerers' power-hoarding, sometimes destructive effects. Neither is really supposed to be good or evil, but the cultural differences are meant to revolve around the proper use of magic in society related to their spheres and available schools.

We also get the spider queen megabeast, which has necromantic powers to summon spider servants which can be gained by eating her heart. A great way to consolidate absolute power, if you can kill her.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frock_13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2017, 05:13:56 am »

Well I finally decided to play DF again and wanted a few basic mods for adventure mode. I installed your mod and Adventurecraft and I can't seem to create your spellbooks in anyway shape of form. I've tried workshops at a dwarf fort, I've tried crafting them myself, and I've even tried spawning them through DFHack with no luck. Can you only find the books? I could have sworn your post said you can make them, but is that fortress mode only? I really just want to try out your spells without having to track down one of the new towers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2017, 01:33:00 am »

At the moment making them is fortress mode only, its done through the magicians studio, there's a submenu for books.

I'll go ahead and include a reaction to make them in adventure mode. I used to find them occasionally in mead halls and camps and such, the idea being they're a tool and tools show up on occasion, but if its becoming a problem I can definitely fix that.

Its probably because I changed the way they work a short while ago. Didn't think about this as a consequence >_>
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2017, 02:59:16 pm »

It sounds really cool - i gotta wonder tho, i ve never used DFHack, so a) does it reseble JAVA, the coding portion? and b) can you establish new variables, like a new int? If you could, you could make it so that certain enemies are weak to certain types of magic - magical energy would basically be like fire, and if you are immune to a certain type, like say Chaos based magic, you have the equivalent of FIRE_IMMUNE - and very powerful Chaos or Order magic requires SUPER_IMMUNE. I was thinking of alignment based magics, as you may be able to tell.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2017, 04:38:00 pm »

I understand dfhack uses LUA and C+ or something, but you'll have tonask around the dfhack forum thread for advice with that; I have no idea how to use it.

Anyway, doing lots of stuff with basic conjuring from your leftover aether residues. You can turn it into wood, stone, bismuth bars, leather, cloth and thread, sand, meat, cheese and mead. I also had some transmutation stuff lined up for the metal bars; use aether residue to transmute metals to bismuth, and then bismuth into other metals. There are a bunch of other little utility reactions to use aether residue in that I've had planned for a long time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:42:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2017, 12:43:24 am »

That new update has been finally uploaded. Some new stuff and fixes for various problems as usual.

New stuff includes plants, which are explained in part on the download page, and the Spider Queen megabeast, which has a combination of some horrifying traits; all the power and indestructibility of a GCS, and its web slinging and venom, intelligence, its been super sized, and including raising corpses as undead servants of the queen. It is terrifying. In the next update I hope to include gaining powers from eating her heart. That will probably include necromancy and something else, still debating that.
I make Spellcrafts!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2017, 06:41:17 pm »

A Spider Forgotten Beast is the strongest thing i've ever survived, killed 50 dudes... god help anyone who encounters the Queen...
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2017, 11:53:40 pm »

Some mistakes were made regarding that megabeast, I've uploaded a quick fix for it. Oops was had.
The spider queen's heart can now be eaten to gain their power, but that was like half an hour ago and I just realized the spider queen is sentient so you cant eat her. That's in the next version I guess. :P

There was also some changes to a few transformation interactions to make them a little longer in fortress mode, due to the weird time dilation effects in forts.

edited again for spelling. I swear Im not drunk today!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:58:16 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

JackTheLing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2017, 08:20:29 pm »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2017, 10:01:57 pm »

I have no idea what lazy newb pack does with things. Does it give you any other information or is there something useful you can tell me?

To install the mod yourself you just need to unzip the zip file that contains everything, put the .text files in the zip and the "text" folder in your game's raw/objects folder, and add the following to every entity you want to be able to use magic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Until I can get better information about how lazy newb pack handles things, there's nothing I can do. Keep in mind this mod was not intended to be installed using a third party utility but by the user, and I have been trying to keep installation simple for that purpose
I make Spellcrafts!

JackTheLing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2017, 10:15:26 pm »

I am 100% serious . Can you like show me a video on how to do it or some crap like that? I 100% have no idea what you just said.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:56:19 pm by JackTheLing »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2017, 12:01:50 am »

I cant make videos, no. I have no way to do that. The folder i'm talking about is wherever the LNP installed the game for you. You'll have to tell me where that is. You can go to your harddrive and search for Dwarf Fortress.exe, and that should tell you exactly where it is. That's the game itself, things in the same folder are parts of the game. Also in the folder should be a folder named raw, go into that and inside it will be a folder called objects. That is where the mod's zip file needs to be extracted to.
I find its less messy to extract it somewhere else, and copy and paste the contents over into the game's folders. You should then find entity_default.txt and entity_magicians.txt both in the objects folder.

Instead of trying to edit the file yourself, I would normally suggest copying the version of entity_default.txt I have included with the mod, which is in the folder named "Vanilla Entity and extra info" which is in the zip file. But that would overwrite other changes implemented by other mods, though, which is bad, because I'm operating on the assumption the LNP made its own changes. You can try to edit in the information instead, just by opening entity_default.txt in the raw/objects folder and paste the lines I included in the previous post, anywhere below the line [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], preferably a page's width down or something but I dont think it actually matters. Paste them in and close and save the file. That will let you use these in the normal dwarf entity.

You can even skip that step if you dont care to edit anything yourself, and instead just generate a world and play as a member of a magic dwarf civ. They use names like e-yorety for dagger as opposed to urist, its a different language. That civ has magic available already.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:03:54 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

JackTheLing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2017, 07:08:34 am »

So I grab the entire folder. Literally the entire game. And put it inside the objects folder? Also thank you for being so kind enough to respond. I really am having trouble downloading anymods at all. Not only yours.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »

No, sorry, not the entire game, just what's included in the zip file for this mod. Move that into the objects folder. If you move the entire game it will all stop working. :P

And yeah, I'm happy to help. Its just that I have no idea how lazy newb pack wants to do things and what needs to be done to make anything compatible with it. It's probable that most of the mods you downloaded werent set up to be installed with lazy newb pack, or were meant for a different version or something to that effect.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2017, 06:46:45 am »

removed the message, redoing it now...

I'm using this mod as a subject of study for making my own; namely, i just added in an eldritch transformation secret using both necromancy and your deformation secret as well as a creature of my own design.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:35:49 am by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29