Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168276 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 11:48:22 am »

Would be awesome if learning a secret didn't block you from learning more.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 12:03:04 pm »

Actually they dont. Secrets are all mutually inclusive. You can learn them all. :P

I'm mostly tweaking variables on the night creatures at the moment, and thinking about how to implement another secret or two. Also messing with the two magic civs. They're less clones of each other ethically and culturally now, and don't necessarily get along. Still have access to effectively all the same technologies and magic reactions, but one thing at a time!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 12:04:33 pm »

Actually they dont. Secrets are all mutually inclusive. You can learn them all. :P

Really? I just picked up earth bending and ran off to a necromancer tower and reading the slab there wouldn't give me the secrets of life and death.

I've also had a secret and drinking the blood of another wizard wouldn't give me their powers.

Personally I found the dudes who pop up with bogeymen to be massively underpowered.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:14:45 pm by Abaddon »

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 12:49:05 pm »

Really? I just picked up earth bending and ran off to a necromancer tower and reading the slab there wouldn't give me the secrets of life and death.

Hrm I reloaded and grabbed the earth bending slab but didn't read it and then ran off to the necro tower again, reading the necro slab doesn't give me animate so it's probably not an issue with the mod.   :'( :'(

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 03:48:47 pm »

Oh! Are you playing as an immortal race, elf or goblin or something? Immortal races can't learn the secrets of life and death in vanilla. My version of necromancy doesn't have that requirement, actually.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 05:46:40 pm »

This sounds awesome, was wondering if it'd be compatible with something like the Adventurecraft mod, or would I have to go about manually piecing things together? 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 08:24:32 pm »

Having just checked it, it looks like the only things that he's done to make it incompatible are removing/renaming the neck and humanoid joints bodyparts/definitions. It looks like he deleted the NECK and HUMANOID_JOINT body definitions, and included those in other body parts, making them redundant. So you can go through and delete those from the body definitions in the creature_spellcrafts_x files and that takes care of the error log, although there are doubtless countless other things that don't show up. That'd take all of five minutes. open the file, hit ctrl+h, in the upper field enter :HUMANOID_JOINTS: and in the lower field enter only one ':', then hit "replace all." Do the same for :NECK: and that should cover it, and repeat that for the other five files.
Actually, I just noticed all those :NECK: entries are redundant anyway, as the creatures using them are using a body plan that already added a neck. Heh. I'll have to go through and fix that! No point having a creature with one head and two necks, although that doesn't seem to be the result in-game.

Seems like that's most of the compatibility, though. I don't really intend to do versions compatible with various other mods that change how vanilla files are set up or even remove them, not at the moment.
I make Spellcrafts!

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 02:34:50 pm »

Oh! Are you playing as an immortal race, elf or goblin or something? Immortal races can't learn the secrets of life and death in vanilla. My version of necromancy doesn't have that requirement, actually.

Oh I didn't realize that, I am playing as a dirty elf.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 01:13:03 am »

Not so good at modding (made a creature here and there though they were fancy) referring to the breath attack item making thing stuff in earlier comments could you set the spawned items as a type of arrow? thus making them move rather than just drop.(the "bow" to propel them could be the hands, mouth, and eyes (for frick'en lazers man)

:P[/font]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 01:32:16 am »

Oh I didn't realize that, I am playing as a dirty elf.

If you use advanced worldgen and set the number of secrets to generate to zero, you won't get any of the vanilla necromancer secrets and instead see exclusively the one from this mod, which elves should still be able to use.

@wyrdean

Well, technically it could spew pools of arrows. But, because of the way item breath emissions work, they'd effectively just spawn in huge pools on the surfaces around you. You'd have to pick them up and throw them in order to hurt anybody with it. Now, I could definitely do that, and you can just sit there in a pool of infinite arrows and pick them up and throw them. That'd actually be reasonably effective right up until whoever you're throwing them at gets up in your face. Could also just pick up stacks of arrows and bolts from people/keeps/warehouses and do the same thing without having to summon an infinite pool, since you'd be hardpressed to throw all 25-30 arrows in a stack in the time it takes for an opponent to get within melee range.

Could also use solid glob emissions, like with the stone/metal shard throwing that is already available. That behaves more like summoning and flinging an arrow, although the glob strikes them as a blunt attack because globs don't have edges. Still, the platinum globs metal-mages can throw now will break bones and kill from afar with ease.

And speaking of laser eyes, the molten rock glob throwing fire mages can already do will set opponents on fire. Since it's a liquid it just splatters on them without doing any damage, but it's still effective.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:34:29 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 12:38:24 pm »

I meant this in the raws

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW]
[NAME:bow:bows]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:BOW:ARROW]
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:200]

[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:1250]
   [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]

Just change to a reaction (sorta) and specify the material to Shoot

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2016, 04:55:06 pm »

hmm, I can't actually do that. Reactions/interactions can't use those tokens, those are only valid on ranged weapon items. Could use an interaction to spawn pools of special arrows and bows for you to use, or make special bows that are available normally to certain civilizations. But this mod is about the magic(ish), not civilizations and technology so much. I actually have a mod going that is specifically related to that, actually, though I haven't uploaded an update in ages. I should do that. :P
I make Spellcrafts!

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 05:41:43 pm »

Any way to modify Dragon breath to shoot arrows instead of flames?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:20 pm »

Nope. The item breath that just sprays pools of items all over the ground harmlessly is literally the only one. There are no ways to do what you're asking within the game's normal function.

I mean someone could maybe do it with DFhack, but I don't know any scripting.
I make Spellcrafts!

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 05:49:09 pm »

Might be pointless but is there anyway to make it so a creature has a crossbow for a hand that is still a hand?
There must be a way....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29