Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168266 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 11:50:21 pm »

hmm... You could give them a renamed hand body part called a "crossbow" that has the grasp tag, yeah. They'd wear mittens on it, though :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2016, 02:04:03 am »

Arrgg... so there really is no way darn spent last 2 days in vain.
too bad well Toady will make it so.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 12:37:15 am »

It's not that there is no way, it's that there isn't a direct route. Sometimes you have to walk in circles until you get offered a compromise with DF modding. All of my suggestions above would give part of the effect you seem to be asking for, even if they're not exactly what you want the finished product to be. For instance, since material emissions can be dependent on the function of a body part, "shoot bolts" could depend on the function of that crossbow-hand. But, like I said, the game treats any body part that can grasp as a hand and you'll see them using that hand for everything else, and wearing mittens on it. Likewise you can use material emissions to spawn pools of bolts and arrows to fire from real crossbows - but the AI wouldn't know how to use them.

Anyway, in mod news, I've been playing around with thunder and lightning secrets. The lightning is debilitating but not exactly dangerous in the lethal sense. It'll knock an opponent out cold for a tick or two every few ticks, and in meta game terms that basically means the fight is over. It's applied as a syndrome-inducing material delivered as a liquid glob. It explodes violently on contact because it has an extremely low boiling point, which makes delivery of the syndrome more likely as it can then be inhaled whereas it otherwise could only take effect on contact. Not ideal, but there's no such thing as lightning or electrical discharge or really a whole lot like it in game terms. There are three methods of delivery, though; as webs sprayed on the ground, kinda dangerous to the caster as sometimes your own tile gets webbed or the webs exploding vapors touch you as well and you end up "zapped", as liquid globs which you can use at range, or by creating pools on the ground anywhere you choose. Usually pools remain liquid, but if a creature steps in them and gets a spatter on their feet/shoes, that spatter will instantly explode, activating the syndrome. The webs and pools make good traps, and the AI can use them even if they're not exactly good at it.

Thunder is still dubious. Using a syndrome like with lightning sounds okay, but so does dust emissions - they're very good at knocking both the caster and target on their bums simultaneously and slamming into obstacles can be lethal, unfortunately. There's not really a way to deliver the knockout dust attack to the target alone, though, besides a material emission giving them an interaction that lets them attempt to attack you with the dust emission, thus making them the epicenter of the destruction and relying on the AI being suicidally stupid. But players don't fall for that, and what's the fun if things can't go south for us too?
I was going to keep them as separate spheres because together they'd be giving the user roughly double the options any of the other combat mages have, which seems unbalanced. And besides, with LIGHTNING, STORM, and THUNDER spheres, if they're both lumped under one then what do I do with the other two?

That's kinda what I mean about walking in circles until you get a compromise. We can have buggy and fun or buggy and unfun, or neither buggy nor fun via doing nothing at all, which is lame.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2016, 05:02:46 am »

3) how to give a civilization access to magic from this mod: (Note: This is only helpful for playable fortress-mode races, like dwarves)

Go to the raw/objects folder again.
Go to the entity file the civ belongs in, say entity_default.txt
Find the entity definition you're looking for. For the vanilla game's races these are
dwarves - [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] elves - [ENTITY:FOREST] humans - [ENTITY:PLAINS] goblins - [ENTITY:EVIL] kobolds - [ENTITY:SKULKING] cave animal men - [ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]

Paste the following somewhere in their entity definition, probably best near the end:

[PERMITTED_BUILDING:SPELL_MAGIC_STUDY]
   [PERMITTED_BUILDING:SPELL_LIBRARY]
   [PERMITTED_BUILDING:SPELL_STUDY_HALL]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_WRITE_SPELLBOOK2_FORT_LIBRARY]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_WRITE_SPELLBOOK3_FORT_LIBRARY]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_MAKE_AETHER_SALT_FORT]
   [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOOK_MAGIC]

A copy of the vanilla game's entity file has been included with these changes done for dwarves and humans, for convenience.

I'm not seeing this file anywhere. Is this step still necessary?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2016, 01:10:07 pm »

Oh. Didn't realize I'd forgotten to include that file.

You'll have to add in the tags there to give dwarves access to magic there. Hold on and let me update the listing.

Alright, the listing has been updated with the new stuff and entity_default.txt included. This is what you'd actually want to paste into your entity files now:

Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:MAGIC_STUDY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_WRITE_SPELLBOOK_FORT_LIBRARY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_WRITE_SPELLBOOK2_FORT_LIBRARY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_WRITE_SPELLBOOK3_FORT_LIBRARY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_SIMPLE_GENERAL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_SIMPLE_THROW]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_SIMPLE_DEFENSE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_ADV_GENERAL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_ADV_THROW]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_ADV_DEFENSE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_MASTER_GENERAL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_MASTER_THROW]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_FORT_MASTER_DEFENSE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPELL_MAKE_AETHER_SALT_FORT]
[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOOK_MAGIC]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:37:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 03:25:00 am »

Thank you!

Are you okay with Spellcrafts being bundled with Lazy Newb Packs?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 10:31:55 am »

Yeah, I don't care so long as I get cradit for my parts. Oh and also have to give credit to gizogin; the ice spike spell was his idea, and that's from where I figured out how to work the breath emissions.
I make Spellcrafts!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 07:34:49 am »

I noticed a few words that don't have Magics translations.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 09:51:50 pm »

Good catch. I'll make sure I get those sorted out!
I make Spellcrafts!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2016, 01:27:40 am »

I'm getting a couple of errors when I generate a world.

*** Error(s) finalizing the entity MOUNTAIN
Unrecognized entity tool token: ITEM_TOOL_BOOK_MAGIC
*** Error(s) finalizing the entity PLAINS
Unrecognized entity tool token: ITEM_TOOL_BOOK_MAGIC

It looks like file names are case sensitive and that objects files all need to start with lowercase characters. This seems to fix the issue.

After making all the objects files start with lowercase characters and editing the first letter of those files to make it lowercase too, I got these errors:

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_Spellcrafts.txt"
GIANT_OCTOPUS_AMPH:Unrecognized Creature Copy (Order is important!): OCTOPUS
*** Error(s) finalizing the interaction SHSH_OCTOPUS_FEMALE
Unrecognized Caste Token in Body Transformation Effect: GIANT_OCTOPUS_AMPH:FEMALE
*** Error(s) finalizing the interaction SHSH_OCTOPUS_MALE
Unrecognized Caste Token in Body Transformation Effect: GIANT_OCTOPUS_AMPH:MALE

I think GIANT_OCTOPUS might need male and female castes.

Edit: Change the name of "creature_Spellcrafts.txt" to "creature_spellcrafts.txt to fix this issue. (Changing the "S" to lowercase causes it to load after the vanilla "creature_ocean_new.txt" file that it depends on, which fixes the issue.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:59:03 am by jecowa »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 12:37:04 pm »

Seriously? I've had no problems with capitalized file names, ever. Are you running a Mac or linux os?

I literally didn't know that could be a problem for anybody!
I make Spellcrafts!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 05:07:00 pm »

I thought sorting capitals before lowercase letters must be a Dwarf Fortress thing. It seems very strange. I'm on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 09:13:05 pm »

It might not have been an issue with capital letters in the file names, it might be an issue with the file nameds not being completely identical to the first line of the file. I think if the name isn't identical to the first line, then the file is just ignored.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 11:58:47 pm »

I'll be sure to check for that as well, thanks!
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 06:25:58 pm »

DOUBLE POST

Update released, fixed the above issues with languages and file names/headers.

Also got some new vampire varieties. Not the most inspired, they're more variations on the basic format the vanilla game uses.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29