Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168277 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2017, 07:07:48 pm »

Ok, add this line to the entity you play as; [PERMITTED_JOB:ALCHEMIST]
That will get dfhack to let dwarves be alchemists.

the file is probably in [your df install directory]\data\save\[your game region]\raw\objects and the file is one of the entity_x.txt files. it will depend on exactly which civ you decided to play as and whether masterwork renamed or moved them to another file, but if you have a sorcerer noble then entity_magicians.txt is the one youre looking for and putting the above string at the end of the file will probably work fine. If it's vanilla dwarves (i.e. you have a mayor/expedition leader noble) you should look in entity_default.txt if that exists in masterwork and add the string under where it says [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] but before the next entity (so at the top of the file)

If it's a masterworks civ, I cant help you find it specifically, but if you added the information yourself in the first place to a masterwork entity then you already know what you're doing :P

In the next update, which I'm going to try to upload soonish, I'll be sure to include this line in the text block for entities in the first place and hopefully this wont happen again. Thanks for letting me know there was a problem!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2017, 01:37:17 pm »

New version has been uploaded with fixes for the issues you guys described, thanks for the help!

I didnt get the chance to make more than the first two schools for mundane magic, so it is a little bare-bones at the moment, but the generic school includes most of the usual effects
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2017, 12:29:45 am »

Sweet man. Can't wait to try it out!
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »

So I've got a couple of questions/observations:

Neither the alter or the circle appear to have any actions available in fortress mode, what should we be seeing?

I've dabbled a little bit in Adventure mode and have noticed that the spells available to me disappear every once in a while. Are available spells supposed to be consistent, or based off of the most recent essences eaten?

In Adv mode, is there a maximum number of spells that one can have known at any time?

Great job, really enjoying the mod!
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2017, 04:56:43 pm »

There's nothing available for the altar or conjuring circle at the moment, so nothing should be there. I'm working on that now, but it'll be kinda lame on the first pass. You'll be able to beg the gods or make sacrifices for artifacts of power or bargain with otherworldly entities, then.

Spells available shouldn't disappear, I'm not sure what could cause that because the syndromes have no end tag, so in game terms they should persist indefinitely. There isn't a maximum number of syndromes (spells) either as far as I know, but its possible there's something like that built into the game as it is that I'm not aware of I guess. It would kinda make sense for Toady to set up a maximum number of syndromes/interactions that can affect a creature at a time, to save memory or something... I dunno, never heard of or encountered that before.
I make Spellcrafts!

Bolverkr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:45 pm »

Is learning from wizards in towers possible? For example, I found a "master" in a tower in a glacial region who seemed to possess al or at least most of the magical abilities in the game, so I hung around him for a while but didn't gain anything. Help?

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2017, 11:13:50 pm »

I suppose that's cool, yeah.

Hi Eric, it's been a long time coming.. But I'm finally planning to add parts of your Spellcraft mod into the DA:II W&M v37 release.
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2017, 03:32:41 am »

Is learning from wizards in towers possible? For example, I found a "master" in a tower in a glacial region who seemed to possess al or at least most of the magical abilities in the game, so I hung around him for a while but didn't gain anything. Help?

Is the wizard spewing out clouds of magic aura? I might have broke it in the last release, ill double check.

Also, yay!
I make Spellcrafts!

Bolverkr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2017, 12:30:13 pm »

Yeah, no clouds. Hung out around him for a while too. Also, does being a wizard not allow you to become a vampire? Is grand vampire even available to adventurers?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2017, 12:17:51 am »

Ill make sure i fix that then.

You should be able to become a grand vampire. Pretty sure you can drink the blood of a grand vampire to acquire it, or else you can play statue-toppling roulette to get cursed as one (not easy either). Shouldnt be restrictions on wizard adventurers becoming a vampire. Iirc, im on my phone right now, i took out all the restrictions between vampires and werebeasts and wizards etc. So you should be able to acquire all three of those, just not being both a basic and grand vampire

Edit:

It looks like wizards are doing their thing again. Ive got a couple more things I need to do with them and the holy altar and conjuring circle reactions and most of the aetherial and hyazith spells and reactions set up. I hope to post an update within the week.

Hyazith will be the school of ice and fire, so killing people in ever more efficient ways will be a thing. It will also permit a degree of survivability by allowing you to become great fire and ice imps, which will be more resistant to temperatures at their end of the spectrum. That's most of the real interesting stuff.

The conjuring circle will let you summon some nasty little critters (biting vermin especially), so I advise keeping it away from the rest of the fort. It will also permit trades of material goods and spells with otherworldly entities. Like giving iron bars in return for aether residues, if you have an excess of iron for whatever reason. Or giving away spare essences of spells if you want iron, instead.

double edit:

Sorry, I misunderstood your initial question: Learning from tower wizards without reading their books is not currently possible. I might get around to that in the future.
You can learn from "wizard" creatures and people "blessed" by the gods as wizards, but those are separate from the sphere-based interactions that lead to tower building. If a historical figure happens to be both a tower-builder and a wizard creature that's a different story, but I havent seen that but maybe once or twice, ever.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:34:56 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2017, 09:12:49 pm »

The mod has been updated with the current work. Conjuration, praying/sacrificing to the gods at the altar, and using the Hyazith school of magic are all available now. Some new critters you can summon from the conjuring circle...

To do that you'll want to pasture animals next to it and run the reaction to summons creatures. Eventually a dwarf will successfully supplant the soul of such a creature in your animals' body, resulting in its transformation. Dunamisdeos demonstrates how this works with his Fruit Engine mod; it works similarly here, except it only permits non-intelligent creatures to be targeted in this case, and instead of fruit, you will get horrible monstrosities that may or may not wreck everything. For this reason, it is highly advised to, say, put this in your barracks or post your militia in the room in case something tries to eat you.

The gods might sometimes curse dwarves as well. These reactions currently dont provide a whole lot, its mostly building materials you might be short on at the moment. I'll try to add more inventive and helpful reactions, and more choices of what to sacrifice. Hopefully I get to do people and animal sacrifices.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:37:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:02 pm »

Sorry for another post, but i want some outside opinions on this next update:

The next school will be the school for polymorphy/shapeshifting, and as part of the update i wanted to do some changes to transformations in general. This is going to mean a bit of a post-transformation sickness period, where a user is weakened by the effect. Nothing fatal, although it might leave you vulnerable. This is to balance out attempts to transform to get out of being injured. It will be severely reduced in the polymorphy school, as those spells are tailored by masters of the art of shapeshifting, and in the clerical reformation effect. Other effects in other schools or for example werebeast and vampire transformations can have some debilitating side effects. Divine secrets wont be affected.

Right now, the effect is intended to be: attribute and speed reduction up to 50%, nausea and coughing/vomiting blood, dizziness and fever, full-body pain, and rarely (very minor) bleeding of the facial features. Severity and probabilities depending on the transformation that took place.

The question then is whether this seems reasonable, and to seek suggestions on how to improve on that idea. If its too mild then of course its pointless, if its too severe it makes these spells suicidal to employ, so its a balancing question as much as whether or not it should be done at all, so your guys' opinions on how much is too much is important

Ive tried linking them all together so that transforming in succession, whether through the same transformation or a different one, leads to more severe effects afterwards, but ive had no real luck on that front.
I make Spellcrafts!

stormbot28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2017, 11:12:21 pm »

Thanks for all the work you put into this!

[Fortress Mode]
How do I know what spells my dwarves have learned? (I was setting up a room to stick a dwarf in until they ate the magic essence, then some random other dwarf ate it instead...)

edit: after looking through combat logs it seems one of my dwarves have a spell I never gave them, I want to know what that it too..

[Suggestion]
I think that this balancing might be good for the player, but it might be too severe for npcs depending on how they use it. A player might use a transformation before an attack as preperation, but wouldn't the npc wait until they're fighting to use it and thus harm themselves so?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:31:59 pm by stormbot28 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2017, 12:10:09 am »

Thats actually a very good point regarding npc behavior. My experimenting shows having it is hardly worth anything anyway, so ill probably skip the post-transformation idea for now.

In fortress mode theres really no way to know what dwarf has what syndrome unless theyre sent to the hospital for some other reason. I think then a diagnostician can correctly diagnose any syndromes they have, which will show up on the health screen when you view it.

Id try to control the essences more tightly. You could stockpile them in a room (with a cat to kill vermin) you can lock, forbid them regularly, and only unforbid them once your desired dorf is in there and locked in. You could also do it by dumping them down a sealed off room with a pit above it via a minecart that runs regularly. If the square where the stuff lands is a food stockpile patroled by a cat theyll keep indefinitely. You can then stuff a wizard-to-be into the room and let them eat. Leaving them unforbidden in your main food stockpile with a deficit of other foodstuffs or a lack of variety will almost certainly mean dwarves try to eat them.

You could also just seal your wizards in the pit with the workshops and dump supplies theyll need in from above. Make sure theres no walls around the bottom of the pit shaft (so put it in the middle of the room) so they cant climb out if they get bored, and put a stockpile set to both refuse and food below it. With a cat. Dump vermin corpses and unwanted bones in there with some gems and youve got plenty for aether salts.

Im gonna try to further increase the options for producing aether salts by the way, youre supposed to get them from any natural resources or organic tissues in some quantity and i had a formula made for that...
I make Spellcrafts!

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2017, 08:35:50 am »

Oh this is exciting. I just started a world where I can choose "wizard" as a race. Also what exactly do enchanted weapons do?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:09:20 pm by gnome »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29