Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168272 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2019, 01:08:27 pm »

Yeah, they can still send mercenaries and adventurers, so thats not a problem. I was thinking of doing more enclaves like that, actually, where youd have 1 or 2 of each type spawn in the world alongside the larger "real" civs. They have tiny populations and dont expand, so they dont take up much room.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

stormbot28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:45 pm »

Do my Dwarves (in fortress mode) use spells when I send them to raid sites?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2019, 08:32:58 pm »

I dont think so. As far as i know, off site raids arent "loaded" into play in any way or engaged in the same "real" combat they are when loaded, its all part of the off-site army code, and interactions cant be used by dwarves that arent "loaded" on the map.
Toady might do something with the army code that allows for stuff like that later when the magic arc is done and he revisits army code. But as you could imagine, thats a ways off.

The best possibility i can think of is that, maybe, syndromes continue to be tracked. Vampires get their strength etc bonuses during world gen, so i might be able to provide pre-travel "potions" that last a month or two. But, i have no idea if its possible to even test whether or not that works.

I was going to offer dwarves runestone workshops to use to provide moderate length syndromes. I could incorporate some travel stuff too and pray it works.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hydrocyanide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2019, 09:19:16 am »

I think I found an oddity in the raws: In the item file, aether focusers are defined as armour, while the 'learn magic' reactions expect a tool.
Now, what object is actually needed for the reaction is random - in my last game, it was bookcases.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2019, 03:41:11 pm »

Uhoh, I'll fix that asap
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2019, 05:35:32 pm »

Bug fixed and new version uploaded - theres a bunch of new stuff going on that isnt all in its own neat little corners, just because this was a hot fix update and I wasnt prepared to release all of it.
several new races and entities - I pulled a bunch of them from my old, defunct Evil mod partly because I missed them and partly to expedite the process of coming up with entities and races for later versions.

The aether focuser and friends are all tool items again - this time they're coin pouch items, so people will carry them around in lieu of the usual pouches. This prevents dwarves from running off with your aether focusers and such as personal property (because they were clothing) in fort mode.

The new Dementia school has been implemented finally. This one you get from dealing with demons and otherworldly beings in the Conjuring Circle, not the magicians workshop.
Be wary; letting dementia spells out amongst the general population will lead to things like vampirism, werewolfism, and necromancy.

Oh, and one more important thing; studying magic, whether in the magicians studio or conjure circle, or adventure mode, will spawn live, trappable versions of the spell essences. They will also bite people, which will grant their powers. With Dementia magic this can be especially problematic. Cats and cheese lizards, and other vermin hunters, can catch and kill them, so maybe pasture some cats around your workshops.

uploaded to the usual place: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6378

The split between a quick-installation and an advanced pick-and-choose installation IS still coming, I just need more time to work out the organization for that, because hey, a lot of this stuff is directly inter-connected.
It will also come with both racial powers and cultural powers (different from the usual magical schools.)
Even better, familiars will come with it, which will help control those pesky live essences.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:45:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 09, 2019, 11:15:18 am »

The aether focuser and friends are all tool items again - this time they're coin pouch items, so people will carry them around in lieu of the usual pouches. This prevents dwarves from running off with your aether focusers and such as personal property (because they were clothing) in fort mode.

Finally, I can stop making 100s of focuses in the hopes that my Magician will be able to grab one of them.

Cheers!
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2019, 11:16:43 am »

I may have missed it but do you have a lost of spells currently in this mod?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2019, 11:34:31 am »

Lot or lost? I have both; an excess of interactions which aren't being used at present and really should be removed... The schools currently have only a small handful each (except polybeastia, it has buttloads but they're all pretty much the same), because unfortunately there's a limit to what you can do and make decently balanced right now. I'm adding more occasionally, tell me if there's something you had in mind.
I make Spellcrafts!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2019, 02:08:17 pm »

Lot or lost? I have both; an excess of interactions which aren't being used at present and really should be removed... The schools currently have only a small handful each (except polybeastia, it has buttloads but they're all pretty much the same), because unfortunately there's a limit to what you can do and make decently balanced right now. I'm adding more occasionally, tell me if there's something you had in mind.

list* sorry

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2019, 12:03:54 pm »

There are new races in this mod? What sort of races are these?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2019, 03:59:06 pm »

@brolol.404

Not a comprehensive sensible one, no. I've been meaning to do better bookkeeping in that regard, I'll see what I can do.

@Asin; there's 3-4 generic high fantasy races (which I literally have not tested beyond making sure they spawn in the arena) including blood elves, high elves, and wood elves, and orcs. There's also gnolls, which are working properly but aren't yet fully implemented to what I want them to mean for Spellcrafts here.

After that, there are some weird ones I made up. There's carp men, because what could be more terrifying than the bastards chasing you onto land in large numbers with spears and  shit? They have a warrior caste that gets a skill rate and natural skill bonus in all forms of combat and weaponry.
There's paklara, short, fat, flightless shore-bird people. They're excellent swimmers, archers, not much else special about them, besides that they cannot be resurrected because they have no soul.
Vutchnell, which are split in three castes; low, middle and high-class, with high vutchnell having significantly longer lifespans and better attributes than low vutchnell. They're human sized but usually a lot taller and lankier.
And komeng, which are an elemental creature comprised of plant matter wrapped around an iron skeleton, with ceramic body coverings. They're not fully implemented yet, but the body plan is working. They're tough as you'd expect an opponent made of ceramics, wood and stone to be, so you're not going to win in unarmed combat.

Oh and wizards. Wizards count as a race
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:12:21 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Metaltooth

• Bay Watcher
  • Icon of Sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2019, 03:01:00 pm »

Would it be possible to give us a version without the new races?

I kinda want to enjoy the magic systems but in the more vanilla world with just new wizard towers, new schools of magic and the ability to learn such magics in Fort/Adventure mode
o̗͕̘̯͈̺r̬e̶̻̗̲̹m͎̘̹͓̦̼̟͝o͕̮̦R͇̥̻̭͟ ̕ņ̗h̪̰̱o̢J͚̬̲ ̧͍̫̜̲͔̺é̤̩̫m̗͍̘̟͖͠ l͇̫̪͖͓̰͝l̕i̮k̻͈̺̱̗ ͙̱̠̥̳̱̘t҉̪s̢͈u͙͉̘̮͘m̳̜̞̳̞̝ ̴͖̠̖̤͕̱u̱̬͚̗͍͞o̢y̴ ̶͚̝̳͇̞e̢̠m̥̤̳̙̣̙̭͢a͚̳̞͉̭g ̛͙e̤̫͉̜͉͘h̗̘̱̤͚͘t̜̺͕ ̴͙͍͉̮̯ņ̘͉̼͓̲ͅi̜̻̰̫̘̠͕w̧̲̘ ̧͔̯o̱̳̘T̗͖

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2019, 11:40:42 am »

Yes, Im planning to make that the default and additional features can be "plugged in" as you please. I've been working on that slowly for a couple months, sorting things into functional sub-groups.

Recently I've been focusing on magical elements in the natural world, including reworking the alchemical plants and new critters and trying to make useful properties for them.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:43:53 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Metaltooth

• Bay Watcher
  • Icon of Sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2019, 07:23:04 pm »

Yes, Im planning to make that the default and additional features can be "plugged in" as you please. I've been working on that slowly for a couple months, sorting things into functional sub-groups.

Recently I've been focusing on magical elements in the natural world, including reworking the alchemical plants and new critters and trying to make useful properties for them.

Id love this immensely, thanks man
o̗͕̘̯͈̺r̬e̶̻̗̲̹m͎̘̹͓̦̼̟͝o͕̮̦R͇̥̻̭͟ ̕ņ̗h̪̰̱o̢J͚̬̲ ̧͍̫̜̲͔̺é̤̩̫m̗͍̘̟͖͠ l͇̫̪͖͓̰͝l̕i̮k̻͈̺̱̗ ͙̱̠̥̳̱̘t҉̪s̢͈u͙͉̘̮͘m̳̜̞̳̞̝ ̴͖̠̖̤͕̱u̱̬͚̗͍͞o̢y̴ ̶͚̝̳͇̞e̢̠m̥̤̳̙̣̙̭͢a͚̳̞͉̭g ̛͙e̤̫͉̜͉͘h̗̘̱̤͚͘t̜̺͕ ̴͙͍͉̮̯ņ̘͉̼͓̲ͅi̜̻̰̫̘̠͕w̧̲̘ ̧͔̯o̱̳̘T̗͖
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29