Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29

Author Topic: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 168298 times)

Locksoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #345 on: April 03, 2021, 02:56:39 pm »

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm getting weird secrets generated during worldgen.

For instance, a slab for fire magic, but instead it gives the secret of stone and makes earth warriors for some reason. On the other hand, I'll get a slab for vampire hunter magic and it'll give out the secrets of fire to somebody and make pyromancers.

I did change some of the secret goals (I.E, I made it so that wanting to be a food chef has the "MASTER_A_SKILL" goal) so that I'd see certain secrets less because I didn't really find them fun. So some of that may have had something to do with it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2021, 08:10:13 pm »

it could be those changes causing the weirdness, but the only thing I'm aware of that normally causes that is if those secrets share the same spheres, which i checked and there was only one instance of the same sphere being used twice (BLIGHT and disease which also erroneously used BLIGHT) and I've fixed that now. Never heard that bug messing with secrets that werent the culprit, but maybe it does. MASTER_A_SKILL shouldnt even allow secrets to appear, as the only reason mortals will approach gods to obtain a slab is to attain immortality, and that hasnt changed iirc since necromancy was implemented in the first place.

Fixing the duplicate SPHERE usage did not fix the WG crash.

oh, also, the issue with too many new civs showing up in worlds is because of the way the game places them, i.e. not at random or anything but selecting the first civ to place at random and from there going down the list and placing one of each until it loops back around to where it started. There isnt a good way to solve that besides removing the extra civs or duplicating the default ones (with new IDs) and injecting them at various points in the list. Which technically makes the list even longer. I tried alleviating this partly already by setting the new civs to only appear 1-2 times each via the max civ limit, so if two civs have already been placed it will skip over that entity and place the next civ on the list that hasnt reached its max civs limit, but that doesnt help on small worlds where you only have 15-20 civs being placed in total; it may not reach the end of the list at all.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:20:12 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Spellcrafts Mod - Basic Magic in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2021, 05:11:58 pm »

So I spent the last ~5 days taking the mod apart piece by piece and generating hundreds of worlds to identify where the crash is coming from, and I think I've finally sorted out the offending entry; the thieving babysnatching evil wizard cave cult in the entity_magicians file. So Instead of waiting till I figure out what's actually causing the crash, I just removed that entity entirely for the moment, and I'll figure that out later (or not, that entity never plays a big role in the world anyway...)

I've uploaded a new version of the mod now, which also includes less interdependency between components of the mod (primeval vampires are not longer dependent on the vampire interaction and creature files, the dementia learning school isnt dependent on the werebeast files etc)

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6378

Please tell me how it goes!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:01:17 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 24, 2021, 01:12:00 pm »

Will one need to generate a new world to use the update?
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 25, 2021, 02:17:18 pm »

Technically, no. Your world will remain unchanged. I would advise against trying to update the raws in a world thats already been generated.
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 13, 2021, 05:35:10 pm »

So it's been a while since I posted anything about this, but some stuff is getting done, slowly.

- many secrets have personality modifiers now causing them to build towers more often.
- Nightmare bringers can now summon not just bogeyman but a night-mare creature.
- depravity secret gets the experimenter tag.
- added a WAR sphere secret. The knower becomes extremely powerful and can summon demonic hounds and raise undead soldiers to fight for them.
- Added a were opossum creature and curse. Not as aggressive as other werebeasts, isn't crazed. Might make it play dead when scared somehow, not sure.
- Food wizard can conjure stacks of salmon directly. Made sure they're only do this on creatures in their line of sight.
- Feedlings also conjure their meat on the ground underneath them now, no need for a nest box.
I make Spellcrafts!

holam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 15, 2021, 11:20:48 am »

I am having trouble installing the mod, I already change the files that needed to be changed ( except the spell one because I can't find it) I think that the problem is that I don`t know how to put it in "RAW" could you pliese help me?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2021, 04:54:09 pm »

Yeah, the contents of the spellcrafts mod (all the text files like body_spellcrafts, creature, entity and interaction files and the "text" folder) are supposed to be placed in [your dwarf fortress install directory (where dwarffortress.exe is)]/raw/objects. Your computer may ask if you want to overwrite the "text" folder, if so then tell it to.

Which "spell" file are you referring to?
I make Spellcrafts!

holam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 01, 2021, 03:55:21 pm »

Ok sorry for the confusion, the changes that I was talking about were simply the recommendation of a different person that was trying to make the mod more challenging, in the initial confuasión I thought that they were you making some changes to the mod, but at the end, I was able to install the mod, without alterations, on my own, but in my time with the mod, I have found that when I eat a spell essence the spell doesn't appear unless I fast travel and in many cases that doesn't work too, do you know what could be causing it?       

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 02, 2021, 06:23:55 pm »

That's simply a matter of waiting for the game to recognize the new CDI or something. Fast travelling/waiting/sleeping works, but so should hitting the period button ten to fifteen times or walking around a bit. I could add the "abrupt" flag to the syndromes, which might force it to become available instantly, or might not, since its an ingested material based syndrome it might just make you wait. But yeah, just give it a few ticks to kick in.
I make Spellcrafts!

holam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 03, 2021, 04:40:54 am »

Thanks that helps a lot

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 10, 2021, 04:53:20 pm »

It took me months to actually notice it and I'm sorry, but you did actually implement Mini-Dwarves.
You absolute mad-lad. You sonuvanelf you did it.
Wait until I make my own race and fauna mod, you! you!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 10, 2021, 05:20:38 pm »

Yeah, they do exist. Not especially well balanced, however, as they produce full bars of gold, steel and charcoal. Very useful if you end up on a map with a lack of those things, but not well balanced...

If you've got a ideas about how to make them less gimmicky and more interesting, i would actually love to hear them. These are their current raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 05:24:34 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 11, 2021, 01:16:14 pm »

Yeah, they do exist. Not especially well balanced, however, as they produce full bars of gold, steel and charcoal. Very useful if you end up on a map with a lack of those things, but not well balanced...

If you've got a ideas about how to make them less gimmicky and more interesting, i would actually love to hear them.
Well you know, maybe Mini-dwarves should produce alloys instead of out-right pure metals. So you get alloys of steel and, let's say, copper. Could come in handy if you're on a site with no metal ore. And tbh, you can already find plenty of gold underground.
Maybe you could add a special interaction between dwarves and mini-dwarves. Like they could observe them in their hives and write books about them. Maybe their observation could make dwarves happier.
Or perhaps, mini-dwarves could be good at getting rid of vermins and the likes. Maybe more effective than cats and dogs, because they'd attack vermin with miniature lances and what not.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 11, 2021, 06:06:04 pm »

If you've got a ideas about how to make them less gimmicky and more interesting, i would actually love to hear them.

Just chiming in here: maybe instead of bars they produce a custom item (called mini-bars maybe?) that then in turn could be used in a custom reaction at the smelter to make actual bars once you have collected enough of them?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29