Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Colonialism: The colony management suggestion game: We met natives!  (Read 16899 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colonialism: The colony management suggestion game
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 01:02:21 am »

1 - Look at islands
1 - North, then North

We don't have a consensus here, and maybe we shall talk about our military?

Despite its military might, Gran Imperio Humano has no standing army of its own. The emperor or imperial administration atop has little say on anything, from budget, personnel, equipment, or discipline - most of it is practically handled by the provinces, cities, and nobles themselves, and for their own safety they often pay very handsome money to recruit the best men. This money trickles down and even the average soldier is paid around twice as much as a free peasant can earn. One may simply say the military of Gran Imperio Humano is extensively made of mercenary armies.

In terms of equipment, they are as well armed as terran late medieval armies. One noticeable difference is the absence of crossbows - the preferred ranged weapon is always the bow, and a thrown spear for closer ranges. Armor is also lighter for this reason, and only the commanders and nobles use full metal plate.

On the other hand, You have zero knowledge of the natives.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 01:12:25 am »

Just to get the game moving, I'll vote to look at the islands.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 02:14:26 am »

Let's look at the islands. A volcano should make the soil fertile, perhaps counteracting the lack of space.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 02:17:56 am »

It could also be fairly obvious death trap that we could fall into if we're not savvy enough.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 04:22:04 am »

Look at the islands - 3

Pre-landing phase 4
(Week 2, May, Storm)

Stormy conditions lasted for the week, and in hindsight it is a good idea to stay around the islands for the time. Despite this, you still scouted for three different places suitable for landing and building a town.

1. There is a bay just good enough for a small harbour on the smoking island. You also spotted a small gushing stream - probably amplified by the stormwater, but should provide fresh water for the colony year-round. The land is not flat, though not too mountainous and terraced farming looks likely to be possible.

2. One of the islands has a reef protrudes just enough to shelter a bay. It is also one of the flatter islands, but its low-lyingness is a problem - it has been flooded in rainwater for a good part of the week. Likewise, without a permanent stream, fresh water availability might be a problem. Emanuel also don't like this place as it lacks the bigger trees.

3. Finally, there is a good-looking bay on one of the larger islands. It is situated on the foothills of the main mountain of the island, so there is arable land, and a stream provides running water. The main problem, though, is signs of unnatural manipulation of the landscape - a scar or a similar cutting was seen in the forests on this island, but poor visibility means that it is impossible to be sure.

Of course, you can still go somewhere else...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Number 3 looks nice. It's got a good bay, flat land, access to water, trees, possible access to minerals from the mountain, and our soldiers should easily be able to handle whatever natives live on the island.

Build a colony on island 3.

Let's talk about the military. Once we get a decent amount of colonists here, I think we should create a permanent standing army of legionaries so we don't have to rely on fight-happy mercenaries. Morale will be higher since they're fighting for country, they'll be cheaper due to the use of bulk-buying standardised equipment and keeping the equipment as government property, we can have them work like Roman legionaries by having civilian labour be standard practice for them so we don't get penalised for it, and mercenaries will have to perform better or cut down their prices if they want to get hired.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:55:01 am by Andres »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

Number 3 looks nice. It's got a good bay, flat land, access to water, trees, possible access to minerals from the mountain, and our soldiers should easily be able to handle whatever natives live on the island.

Let's talk about the military. Once we get a decent amount of colonists here, I think we should create a permanent standing army of legionaries so we don't have to rely on fight-happy mercenaries. Morale will be higher since they're fighting for country, they'll be cheaper due to the use of bulk-buying standardised equipment and keeping the equipment as government property, we can have them work like Roman legionaries by having civilian labour be standard practice for them so we don't get penalised for it, and mercenaries will have to perform better or cut down their prices if they want to get hired.
+1 to all of this

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile

+1 to all of this
+2
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile

+1 to all of this
+2
+3

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Landing phase 1
(Week 3, May, Sunny)

Island 3

"In the name of the Emperor, I, Tonio Emilio Rodriguez Rafael Alejandro, claim this land for the Gran Imperio Humano. I hereby declare that the land, animals, plants, etc, etc, etc on this island, belongs to the emperor, and... wait, did we came up with a name?"

"No, not yet. You still have some time to choose. Maybe you name it after the date or the basking sun?" Garcia replied, referring to the bright, clear skies, as the storm receded to the east. "Here, Don Tonio," he added, holding a large piece of pointed wood in his hand. "This is the stake that I ordered maestro Emanuel to make. Looks like you got a good friend."

The plan as decided by Garcia is as follows: as you reach the island, you are to read out the script, declaring the island is now the property of the emperor. You will then drive a stake into the ground, symbolically dividing the land.

------------------

Work has progressed smoothly. Less perishable goods are unloaded from the ship first and stored in the open, so there is more living space on the ship. By the end of the week, some plans for what to do next is being drawn up.

- Building Projects
-- Storehouse: More place to store goods and protect it from weather. Building points needed: 25
-- Housing: While you will expect people start building their own houses in their free time - or compelling others to do so for them, if you assign a higher priority to housing, they will be completed faster, so more people will have houses. Building points needed: 5 / low class household
-- Simple Docks: Large ships can load and unload easily. Building points needed: 50
-- Palisade: Because people fear for their own safety. Building points needed: 200
-- Name and I can give a cost.

-In addition to building, the colonists can be encouraged to engage in different jobs. Jobs include:
-- Fishing
-- Farming
-- Foraging
-- Logging
-- You don't need to tell people to work on their tools, maintain armor, or such. However, if you really wanted more of a specific good, you should explicitly state that you need that good and assign some effort onto it.
-- Likewise, you will expect soldiers to take up minimal security
-- In general, if anything must be done now, it will be done. Otherwise you should give a job some priority

-Finally, there is exploration. If you don't assign workers onto it, the explorers will do exploration themselves in their free time. If you want to specify a direction and/or a location, you must specify it and put a priority onto it. You may even personally lead it if you wish. Still, you can expect some explorers exploring in another direction.

You should assign priorities into each job. No priority assigned means lowest priority, 1 is higher than that, 2 is even higher, and so on. You can even assign fractional or decimal priorities, but note that giving jobs the priority level of 0, 1, 2.5, 4, 1000 is the same as giving them 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 (if there is nothing else in between, that is). People may, and will defy your orders, if they perceive something is too important to miss, but you can generally assume that something with a higher priority gets done faster.

Spoiler: Unnamed colony (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: unnamed vessel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM's notes (click to show/hide)

Start of chapter 1.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

--Logging: 1
--Exploring the forest: 0

So how do building points work? What can we build with our current resources?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

--Logging: 1
--Exploring the forest: 0

So how do building points work? What can we build with our current resources?
Building points is a cumulative measure of how much work you have actually done.
You can in theory build anything with wood, but even if you don't direct anything be built, you are sure that people will build their own houses in their spare time.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

--Simple docks: 1
--Exploring the forest: 2
--Logging: 3

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

--Simple docks: 1
--Exploring the forest: 2
--Gather wild animals and crops: 3
--Logging: 4
--Storehouse: 5

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:07:34 pm by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to remind you guys, the colony and the ship both need names.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9