Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sorry for the delay  (Read 5496 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Sorry for the delay
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:40:49 am »

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive, even though there has been no updates. I noticed that the amount of activity here in the MDF board decreased, posts on reddit, succession forts, etc... that's my fault for not updating the mod or working on the new version.

I'm currently in Beijing, day 75 of my current trip. 225 to go. The problem is just that I have only access to a netbook and every time I start working on DF, I subconsciously compare it to how easy it is to mod at home on a fast PC with a multiscreen setup and fast internet. Then I stop and tell myself that I better do it when I'm back in Germany. Or I have time, electricity and internet, but work on my social media, photos, route planning, RL stuff...

The current state of the new MDF is playable though and you can go and play Dwarves, Gnomes and Succubi. The one thing I would ask you to is play and report any issues back to me. Even though I'm not working on DF at the momemt, you can be assured that I write all reports down and add them to my list.

Cheers,
Meph
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry for the delay
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:44:26 am »

how dare you have a life. who let you out of the modding cage!? who was left in charge of feeding meph last?!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:59:59 am »

It's okay, we could all use a break.  Besides, when you get back, maybe we'll have the Tavern/Religion update which will lead to all kinds of fun stuff.  Maybe.

Lokked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:07:24 pm »

I'm still having a GREAT time with Masterwork!

Taking breaks is a good way to find new inspirations!

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 02:32:31 pm »

I know I am a relative newcomer, and just a player, but I can assure you that your mod is much more than "playable". It actually makes Dwarf Fortress playable to me, and is the sole reason I am back to playing it. I can't complaint about the content you're making, it is incredible. Hell, it is so much that it could even use the streamline on Reborn, but surely it is not lacking on anything. Don't worry, I am sure the community will not die just because of lack of updates. Just enjoy your break.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 03:45:10 pm »

Heh no problem we all have differents project coming and going.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 06:51:55 pm »

Not trying to sound 'aggressive' or 'undermining' with the follow, so don't read it that way.

But I'm curious. If you're incapable of keeping up with the mod and its needs and demands, why have you not bowed out and allowed someone else to take your place? Unable to find someone to do it properly? 'it's my project!'? Or what have you. Truly curious about this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:09:26 pm »

Because it's a hobby, and letting someone else take over your hobby is sorta nonsensical.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:10:43 am »

I would totally give it to someone to take over for me (temporarily, while I'm travelling), but there are no other modders that have that amount of time and background knowledge about it. Boltgun is slowly wittling away at his succubi, IndigoFenix has tons of minor projects, Smake has no free time, and other modders would have to dig into the material first.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 01:26:28 am »

I feel like that'd get awkward unless there were...

a github page...

seriously though it would only take me a few hours to get into Reborn's raws and understand them and if you have an outline I could stick to that pretty well.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 03:58:53 am »

I wouldnt say no, you are one of the best modders there is. Especially considering your dfhack expertise. But what's your motivation?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:47 am »

What has changed in your perspective about Masterwork since the "poisonous to the modding community // the races are the problem" essay?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 05:21:36 am »

I learned the actual philosophy behind Not Making Bloated Crap and realized that Masterwork follows that anyway, just in an oddly bloated manner.

It still reminds me a bit much of Minecraft modding and its tendency to have mods that do a bunch of unrelated crap and put it all into one mod instead of breaking it up into a bunch of separate mods, which bothers me somewhere.

Reddit seems to have gotten significantly less awful recently, since people seem to do that wonderful thing where they disagree with what I say but still see some actual purpose to it. Also, I really got into complaining about unlabeled Masterwork posts getting through, highly upvoted, while at least one post whose title was the name of a mod and nothing else got downvoted for "breaking the rule about labeling mod posts" (direct quote from someone who said they downvoted for that reason), so that stopped happening too.

Basically, detente between me and the Reddit hivemind making me less riled up.

I was never actually complaining about Masterwork, anyway? It was always about the community as a whole only caring about the one mod, ever. The Reddit situation above combined with the fact that there are now at least two people who actually complain when my crap is broken in ways I didn't notice really calmed me down.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 07:39:55 am »

@Putnam: Ever looked at Rubble? Modularity and "each component changes one thing" are king there. I do pack it all up in one download, but hat is for convenience more than anything else.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 04:00:54 pm »

It's also king in the DF Starter Pack, heheh.
Pages: [1] 2 3