Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sorry for the delay  (Read 5454 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry for the delay
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 04:08:14 pm »

Is there a "converting to DF2014" checklist for modders, maybe with links to info?  Like i feel that I have to learn about changes to:

1. creatures
1b.  plants
2. entities
3. weapons and other items
4. autosyndrome
5. itemsyndrome
6. things that I don't know, that i need to know
7. any workaround with similar functionality to force_seige?

but i don't even know where to begin since i'm not sure if that info is centralized (and I don't have the time/energy to sift through the whole questions thread the way i would have in the past).  If that list doesn't exist yet, Putnam, maybe that's something you could do that would be a big help for myself and others.

Absent such a list i would probably rebuild Orc Fort from scratch, where I can learn as I go, rather than trying to do a quick conversion.  Which is fine in my book since it's just as much fun for me ;) but means a much longer time until others have something to play with.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

1. LIKES_FIGHTING, SPEED and SWIM_SPEED have been removed; the former can be replaced with high VIOLENCE value for personality and the latter two are replaced with GAIT, which the wiki has info on and the raws have documentation on. Personality values have changed entirely. Creature attacks also now have ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER.
1b. Growths are now in, though tbh I haven't looked into them any.
2. VALUE was added. Also, all sites are now in adventure mode, so you don't need all of them to have cities. However, dark fortresses without tunnels crash IIRC, and I think dark fortresses without VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL crash as well (though VARIABLE_POSITIONS:LAW_MAKING may work)
3. ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:prepare:recover values were added to all weapons.
4. Autosyndrome has been replaced with modtools/reaction-trigger, which operates through registration; syntax can be seen by using modtools/reaction-trigger -help.
5. Itemsyndrome has been replaced with modtools/item-trigger, which operates through registration; syntax can be seen by using modtools/item-trigger -help.
6.  YOR is no longer a word in the language files.
7. No, not yet.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 05:27:30 pm »

Awesome.  Thanks.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 05:32:32 am »

In addition to the above.

Raws:
- Creatures uses GAITS to move, there is a documentation in the raws.
- Entities haves VALUES now, they interface with personalities and define the citizen's goals in life.
- Dark fortress civs can only have one position with LAW_MAKING responsibility. Currently with succubi and goblins, lots of dark fortress spawn in the world. It also implies that a demon will create and lead the civ.
- EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME, it seems to make civ placement more consistent.
- Plants have changed so much you're better off opening the raws to check them.
- Don't forget to add stepladders or an equivalent to your civ.
- Use HUMANOID_NECK instead of HUMANOID.
- Personality and discipline are important to prevent orcs from being cowards.
- PRONE_TO_RAGE now accept a percentage.
- There is no outerbrains anymore.
- New interactions and secretions upon extremes emotions and exertion, this is optional but fun.

Gameplay changes:
- SPECIAL stones no longer appear in the creatures preferences.
- Ranged weapons have been fixed and no longer pierce every armor like they used to.
- Creatures can climb and jump over small gaps in fort mode.
- Jobs are less idiotic and require less micromanagement. Haulers will carry objects to bin instead of the other way, traders run to the depot asap, etc.

Dfhack:
- I recommend using r2 to start with.
- Almost every scripting is done in the raw folder now, this make save sharing easier. Scripts can be placed inside a subfolder, another subfolder named init.d allows to run scripts on loading. There is also a robust way to run scripts from another scripts.
- Check reaction-trigger, item-trigger and interaction-trigger to run scripts in specific events, the old LUA_HOOK will still work.

I think this will be enough to convert orcs to 0.40. It's the dfhack scripts that require the most attention. There is also a powerful item info to create stuff in reaction that let you design finer reactions in the raws but I did not checked it yet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:35:33 am by Boltgun »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 06:02:50 am »

PRONE_TO_RAGE always accepted a percentage, outerbrains were never a part of vanilla DF.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 07:05:16 am »

PRONE_TO_RAGE always accepted a percentage, outerbrains were never a part of vanilla DF.

Didn't knew that about percentage of rage, change from MDF should be noted however. :P

Lokked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 12:34:58 pm »

A little off-topic, but with the above conversation, I'm interested to learn what work is necessary to perform when DF is updated.

So my question is on Scripts (as it was mentioned there is a lot of work to be done): I understand scripts are written in Lua. Where can I find a list of bound functions and the descriptions? I did search a bit, but all I've been able to find are script collections from other users.

Also, does DFHack have all useful functions and memory locations mapped, or is there a wishlist for this?
Is there a wishlist for Lua bound functions & fields?

With the above 2 questions, I'm essentially wondering if there is anything scripters can't do that they would like to be able to do.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 12:55:23 pm »

A little off-topic, but with the above conversation, I'm interested to learn what work is necessary to perform when DF is updated.

So my question is on Scripts (as it was mentioned there is a lot of work to be done): I understand scripts are written in Lua. Where can I find a list of bound functions and the descriptions? I did search a bit, but all I've been able to find are script collections from other users.

Also, does DFHack have all useful functions and memory locations mapped, or is there a wishlist for this?
Is there a wishlist for Lua bound functions & fields?

With the above 2 questions, I'm essentially wondering if there is anything scripters can't do that they would like to be able to do.

Everything is on github :
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/Lua%20API.rst

https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures

It does not have everything (the 'unk' variables are stuff that have not been figured yet), but at least it tracks the variables of the game.

What we can and cannot do depend on df itself. Generally, the deeper df goes on simulating something, the harder it gets. For example sieges were easy because it was only a bunch of randomly generated people placed at your doorstep, but we must now rethink that because the game now track armies going on the world.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 07:22:26 pm »

I'll admit it, Meph. I've been itching for Masterwork to get updated, and I'm sad that it'll probably be around a year before it's done.

Buuuuut...

The current version of Masterwork (the one that is on the 34.11, I mean) is still ginormous, well made, and has hundreds of hours of fun, emergent, challenging gameplay. And yeah, the board here is going to be less active while people are waiting for the update. But, funnily enough, the same happens for EVERY game, and we'll be back when you make the exciting sequel: Masterwork 2: Miasmic Boogaloo. So keep biking, and have faith.

Edit: You know, if this happens again, you shouldn't get it started juuuuust before a big trip. You should have said "Hey guys, I have HUGE plans for after this trip. In the meantime, enjoy the current version!" and then bugged off. Leave 'em with a hook, man. Basic showmanship!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:24:18 pm by moseythepirate »
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:06 am »

1. LIKES_FIGHTING, SPEED and SWIM_SPEED have been removed; the former can be replaced with high VIOLENCE value for personality and the latter two are replaced with GAIT, which the wiki has info on and the raws have documentation on. Personality values have changed entirely. Creature attacks also now have ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER.
Was LIKES_FIGHTING really removed? I checked the wiki and it says that it was removed, but I have a mod that has creatures with LIKES_FIGHTING and there's no errors showing up from it.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 12:34:34 am »

Yeah, it was removed in 0.40.14.

Quote from: Toady One
(LIKES_FIGHTING was only used for the "takes joy in the slaughter" thought -- it didn't determine fight-or-flight responses.  That all has more to do with LARGE_PREDATOR and BENIGN and that sort of thing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 07:17:49 am »

Putnam: If you are serious about doing some work on the mod, I'd write up some future ideas, that you can try your hand at, while I make one last update on the V.05. You can set it up on github if you want, but that is not mandatory.

I'd say the new enemy civs would be a nice addition next. Writing the entity files and a couple of creatures for them... the civ creature, some minions, warbeasts and mounts.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 09:09:25 pm »

Oh, don't feel bad Meph. We're Dwarf Fortress players! We can handle some time between releases.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 05:09:58 pm »

Have a great time on your trip!

I'm not trying to sound impatient, but I wanted express interest in hermit mode being updated. I think some of the changes to the speed of drinking and eating, multihauling, and the addition of new plants/nuts/etc are almost tailored to the feel of the hermit.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 07:25:32 am »

I found this on my computer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My art skills aren't great (I usually resort to tracing a bunch of images together - I'm almost positive that gnome is actually Charles Darwin), so if someone wants to take this and make it good they are welcome to do so.
Pages: 1 [2] 3