Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Bogeymen - wtf  (Read 12043 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bogeymen - wtf
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:23:55 pm »

This time I used Artmoney to give adventurer infinite points to spend at the start screen, and made him all-legendary in skills and all-Superior in stats.

Went to hunt demons,  died to a single bogeyman.

I have created a couple of such adventurers, and none of them could deal with bodeys. It's all the same every time. Gut punch, nauseous, death. Foot kick, on the ground, death. Head kick, stunned, death. Armor or not. We are talking ALL legendary 5000 adventurer here.

And don't get me wrong, I tried all the strategies, luring one by one, targeting limbs, charging. It was all dodged. I think only two of the bogeys ever got killed. I know, adv. mode is notorious for its oh so common "bad luck", but it seems that it is simply hardcoded. Do bogeymen get buffed according to adventurer's stats? Or are they just plain broken? Any way to deal with them besides not sleeping out?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen - wtf
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 12:34:31 pm »

While bogeymen, undead and punches/kicks are overpowered broken in df2014 , there's an equally overpowered broken way to take down anything in the game : the multi attack system

- press the , key to wait for the enemy to be in contact
- press SHIFT+A to aim an attack
- press a to Strike
- select the bodypart you want to hit
- press z to enable "multiattack"
- select the type of attack you want to use (slash/stab/etc..)
- press SHIFT+A to aim a 2nd attack (thanks to multiattack)
- select the Dodge option instead of an actual attack
- Dodge in the direction you want (usually away from the enemy)
- Press . to launch the multiattack (the attack then the dodging)
While you'll miss a lot (multiattack having somen accuracy malus), you'll still be able to hit without being hit, and after a while you'll be the only one standing after your enemies will have fallen
It does not matter if your enemy is a strong warrior, a megabeast or an undead/bogeymen, by doing exactly that process, it will take lot of time but you'll destroy them even without having to cheat your attributes/stats.
It's just that broken.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:31:39 pm »

Yeah, bogeyman will wreck you unless you are literally wrapped in candy.
Getting full candy gear (as in: armor and clothes) they pretty much end up being about as annoying and dangerous as the common house-fly.

It's just insane. Not even running away is an option, unlike before, since you will just get tired and die when you get over-exhausted - no matter how much speed you have.
So in the end multiattack is your only option, even if it is a bit tedious. Or surround yourself with campfires, buuuut ... don't do so under a tree, they will climb it and attack from about. And then there're also flying bogeyman I think!?... Heh.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 02:35:07 pm »

I defeated them with Kisat Dur, they haven't bothered me since.

Bogeymen are small, so Korumid Abod will really send them flying, and they cannot break out of a Thok. Sodel Ar and Okab Rashgur are effective for defense, but Asasokab is not, as they do not feel pain, and the time it takes to execute one leaves you open to other attacks. The best strategy is to aim quick punches at their throat, to crush it. The suffocation won't hurt them, but the heavy blood loss will. Even if you miss there's a good chance it will hit their neck, with similar results. You can also target their legs, they're fragile enough that even a quick punch can break them. If your stats and skills are all Superdwarven like you said then bogeymen shouldn't give you too much trouble.

If you must use weapons, remember to only use quick attacks, as regular attacks are slow.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:58:51 pm »

You dont need any skill to defeat them!You only need vampire powers!

One of my adventurers was a vampire and lost a foot before the boogeys attacked and he still killed the WHOLE pack of bogeys with only proficient hammerman and his unnatural strength.I guess you're just unlucky....
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Exodus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 05:14:31 pm »

Yeah, I modded my game and played as a dragon.
You'll never guess what killed me...

AS A DRAGON!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:39:09 pm »

My first adventurer ever was way beyond legendary (his alternate universe reboot from a backup save is the axelord in my avatar with his wife champion and daughter murderbaby) like way stupidly the hell holy god beyond legendary due to a bug with armoks_blessing and migrants arriving with it active, and this is before he trained for 5 years waiting for goblin sieges.

That world had bogeys active because I never cared, and he had a platinum warhammer artifact, Lashbrushed. Well he brushed the lashes off of well over 100 bogeymen over the course of his adventures. He left the fort with artifact steel everywhere, I later added a masterwork steel pick to the plat warhammer and used a lot of multiattacking+sending them flying to die against a tree. Eventually they just stopped bothering me for the most part.

In the new version of the timeline their daughter has something stupid like 1242 kills currently, mostly gob armies and a few beasts and such and bogeymen still try to screw with her. I got sick of it so I just added a tag to a syndrome to give [NOFEAR], they still pop up but ignore you so you can just pull up advfort and then dig a down staircase+updown below it and they go away.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:42:04 pm by Max™ »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:24:49 am »

My first adventurer ever was way beyond legendary (his alternate universe reboot from a backup save is the axelord in my avatar with his wife champion and daughter murderbaby) like way stupidly the hell holy god beyond legendary due to a bug with armoks_blessing and migrants arriving with it active, and this is before he trained for 5 years waiting for goblin sieges.

That world had bogeys active because I never cared, and he had a platinum warhammer artifact, Lashbrushed. Well he brushed the lashes off of well over 100 bogeymen over the course of his adventures. He left the fort with artifact steel everywhere, I later added a masterwork steel pick to the plat warhammer and used a lot of multiattacking+sending them flying to die against a tree. Eventually they just stopped bothering me for the most part.

In the new version of the timeline their daughter has something stupid like 1242 kills currently, mostly gob armies and a few beasts and such and bogeymen still try to screw with her. I got sick of it so I just added a tag to a syndrome to give [NOFEAR], they still pop up but ignore you so you can just pull up advfort and then dig a down staircase+updown below it and they go away.
yeah nofear straight ups stops them from attacking you with out your permission(they will attack you if you provoke). undead kinda have a straight up stat boost to their attacks and no tiring also come with weapons, among a speed penalty which isn't really seen as the computer is super patient in waiting eons than the player. that then there's bogeyman's natural professional stats and smaller than fluffy wambler size that makes fighting them fresh out of the start menu hellish.
Currently I rarely get to see bogeymen with invoking people though they tend to act more like undead when invoke and attack anyone on sight. this kinda also happens with invoke'd bronze colossi so maybe it's the new dangerous beast feeling that makes citizens naturally panic around beasts.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 02:36:27 am »

This made me wonder if boogiemen are scaled to your starting skill level, because I always find them tough at the beggining but after a in game weeks they are pushovers and often flee after a few die.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:18:29 am »

This made me wonder if boogiemen are scaled to your starting skill level, because I always find them tough at the beggining but after a in game weeks they are pushovers and often flee after a few die.
That sounds very gamey and un-Toadylike.

Of course, I guess it makes a bit of sense for bogeymen to be scaled with you since they're supposedly figments of your imagination. But I doubt it's the case.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 04:55:34 am »

Worth noting with something that small you may find your habits from higher skill levels screwing you up.

You'll see a difficult/solid head shot and go for it every time because you're used to it working every time, bogeymen are too damn small, smack em in the guts and send em flying.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 05:47:33 am »

While bogeymen, undead and punches/kicks are overpowered broken in df2014 , there's an equally overpowered broken way to take down anything in the game : the multi attack system

- press a to Strike
While you'll miss a lot (multiattack having somen accuracy malus), you'll still be able to hit without being hit, and after a while you'll be the only one standing after your enemies will have fallen
It does not matter if your enemy is a strong warrior, a megabeast or an undead/bogeymen, by doing exactly that process, it will take lot of time but you'll destroy them even without having to cheat your attributes/stats.
It's just that broken.

I've tried it, it's not OP. Faster opponents can still get a strike in before your dodge, at your back, even. Multi-attack also costs more energy, and if you've been doing nothing but missing, getting tired isn't going to improve your chances.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »

That sounds very gamey and un-Toadylike.

Of course, I guess it makes a bit of sense for bogeymen to be scaled with you since they're supposedly figments of your imagination. But I doubt it's the case.
uhh ... how does that explain the whole you can reanimate them out of the cackling and the whole elves being punched to death if you walk into their site mid cackling? is the cackling the mind of the possessed guy or the possessor?  I mean the motto for adventure mode is "losing is fun but now personal"

Oh wait I know why that pops up I guess it's from the lack of other sites in 31.xx that lead to the belief of they don't exist because they tend to poof when you walk inside a building.
still doesn't explain the whole marketplace scenario where those merchants getting mauled because you decided to rest on the floor?

But on topic of skill level I should be clear that I checked bogeymen stats in Dfhack and they have combat skills naturally set to 10 (professional) if you get your skills past 15(legendary) you would see them get chump out.
Though probably should check if being set to peasant or hero leads to different skill caps on bogeymen.

though 40.xx getting companions isn't a super clear solution now that if you accidentally separate them for a split second bogeys will spawn in. if you want to train your companions or weed out the weak ones telling them all to wait in one spot then fast travel your self to the next tile to them so when the game ambushes you with bogeymen the game will load in the adjacent tile filled with your companions who would run in to save you.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 08:19:09 pm »

Bogeymen seem to be very vulnerable to bisection. The lower body is the 2nd easiest target to hit, and if you cross it with a blade, they *poof* into black smoke.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 08:34:37 pm »

- press a to Strike
It's just that broken.

Thank you. I'll save that for a final card in a fight, but that'll help me so much. I just lost my favourite adventurer, who I've been using for a month irl, because I was fighting too many bogeymen. Even as a vampire, who started with superior agility, bogeymen are too fast.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6