Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Bogeymen - wtf  (Read 11992 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen - wtf
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 09:08:34 pm »

Using this i had a begining demigod that managed to take down 3 bogeymen that were attacked me.

With a more long lived (and having better skills and equipment) adventurer, with that same technique i took dozen several dozen of undeads around a tower, just retreating from time to time to get over being tired (as fortunately undeads are slow to react you can get away) before i finally got enough and just sprinted my way into the tower to read the slabs/books.

For bogeymen i found that still the best method is to just not generate bogeymen when adventuring alone :
- sleep on mountain or beach tiles
- disable bogeymen at worldgen settings by setting them to 0

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 09:21:56 pm »

I hate them. First it was a hate of them killing me,when I got stronger it changed into an annoyance hatred, then after removing them from world gen, I hate how I cant butcher them for bone bolts and yummy black hearts.

I hate everything about them.
There arnt even carvings of them... wtf
Magical gungfu babies are shit and I hate them. If they only exsisted in haunted areas or deep wilderness I could accept it, but as of how they work now its pathetic, no rhyme or reason.
Its like they hate Armok
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 08:34:19 am »

Sleeping in trees works, if you're sleeping above a certain z-level. I don't know if it's absolute 0, or relative to the tile's ground height. If you get on a branch that you can stand on without holding and you don't see any ground on the same level, then it should be safe.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 06:39:56 pm »

Sleeping in trees works, if you're sleeping above a certain z-level. I don't know if it's absolute 0, or relative to the tile's ground height. If you get on a branch that you can stand on without holding and you don't see any ground on the same level, then it should be safe.

Whaaaat? No way not for me atleast. Some Bogeymen have wings and all are good climbers.
Ive been raped in up a tree, it was not fun as I had to evacuate via jump and landed in a bogyman mosh pit. The music playing was a band called your going to die, the song was insesant cackling
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 06:45:28 pm »

So, to my experience, in DF .40:

1.Everything bigger than player wrecks him no matter what
2.Everything smaller than player wrecks him no matter what
3.Anything of similar or same size stands no chance no matter what

Is it the matter of size now again? Are we back to glory days of .23?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:48:21 pm by Urist Sonuvagimli »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 06:59:42 pm »

So, to my experience, in DF .40:

1.Everything bigger than player wrecks him no matter what
2.Everything smaller than player wrecks him no matter what
3.Anything of similar or same size stands no chance no matter what

Is it the matter of size now again? Are we back to glory days of .23?

I think it's more like

1: Everything that should be hard to kill is easy to kill.
2: Everything that should be easy ti kill is hard to kill.
3: You can hit an alligator a thousand times and it wont bleed.

I kicked an elephants head in, only to die to a single dingo.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 07:13:58 pm »

Ahh life.
I overcame cancer just to die by flu.
Its just how shit goes, take it for what it is.
Crocs are easy attack a toe with a copper dagger and itl fracture making it pass out, you can then stab it in the throat until an artery is severed (usualy once) and it will die.
Most people say they knock out a guy and take 10 hits to the head to kill them. All it takes is a throat slash, the brain doesnt get oxygen rich blood and dies. Simple.
I usualy aim for the throat. Its funny to have a guy fighting me with a cut throat, blood squirting all over and they just get more and more pale. If you are just a body and head its a good tactic to bite for the throat and shake.
Ive killed many like this.
Just because you can stomp an elephants head in it doesnt mean you can no longer die to a dingos bite, you are still composed of flesh. Its quite silly to think martial arts make you invincible

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 07:35:22 pm »

Martial arts can make you invincible enough, nothing can hit you when it is sliding across the ground losing skin and flesh.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 07:39:34 pm »

It's not that marital arts makes you invincible, though of course it does a hell of a lot for your physical stats. Mainly it forces you to consider tactics and positioning more than if you just threw a bunch of numbers at your character sheet and expected to breeze through every fight. You can always take an advantage in any fight.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 08:11:27 pm »

I once had a bogeyman-slayer adventurer who had a two-handed sword in one hand.

To this day, I wonder why the RNG gods liked him so much.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 05:02:40 am »

I hate them. First it was a hate of them killing me,when I got stronger it changed into an annoyance hatred, then after removing them from world gen, I hate how I cant butcher them for bone bolts and yummy black hearts.

I hate everything about them.
There arnt even carvings of them... wtf
Magical gungfu babies are shit and I hate them. If they only exsisted in haunted areas or deep wilderness I could accept it, but as of how they work now its pathetic, no rhyme or reason.
Its like they hate Armok

wha I thought you can butcher them for... I gotta test his out. you can reanimate them also

haunted areas would lead to UNDEAD bogeymen which is double horrible if going by the common adventurer complaints also will be kinda immune to cacklin ending and would just turn into murderous smoke monsters forever.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 07:27:18 am »

Success at last! The adventurer took quite the beating though, missing teeth and scars everywhere. Sure it took me about 2 hours to kill 5 bogeys, but it's something! The whole fighting taught me this:

1. Real power of bogeys comes from bites and wrestling. If they cant bite or grab, thir punches cannot do ANY damage to armored adventurer.

2. As was suggested, multiattack (Strike->Dodge) is quite effective when dealing with bogs (and anything else dangerous enough in melee). Not nearly overpowered as you might think, it allows to strike in melee yet keep the safe distance from those death punches and UFC grabs. Hit rate is miserable however, almost close to 5%. Yet I've noticed, that dodging diagonally (NW,NE,SW,SE) drastically improves the chances.

3.Quick Charge attack option (U+Y) is really effective, but only when fighting bogeys one on one. Beheaded the last bogeyman on first strike, after 500 previous attacks failed.

I cant butcher them for bone bolts and yummy black hearts.

It is possible to butcher them. make sure you hold the heart close to their eyes, so they can see how black it is before dying.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:36:02 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 01:00:45 pm »

Success at last! The adventurer took quite the beating though, missing teeth and scars everywhere. Sure it took me about 2 hours to kill 5 bogeys, but it's something! The whole fighting taught me this:

1. Real power of bogeys comes from bites and wrestling. If they cant bite or grab, thir punches cannot do ANY damage to armored adventurer.

2. As was suggested, multiattack (Strike->Dodge) is quite effective when dealing with bogs (and anything else dangerous enough in melee). Not nearly overpowered as you might think, it allows to strike in melee yet keep the safe distance from those death punches and UFC grabs. Hit rate is miserable however, almost close to 5%. Yet I've noticed, that dodging diagonally (NW,NE,SW,SE) drastically improves the chances.

3.Quick Charge attack option (U+Y) is really effective, but only when fighting bogeys one on one. Beheaded the last bogeyman on first strike, after 500 previous attacks failed.

I cant butcher them for bone bolts and yummy black hearts.

It is possible to butcher them. make sure you hold the heart close to their eyes, so they can see how black it is before dying.
you can reanimate them also so you can butcher a few then craft bolts (if you have mods) out of their bones, then reanimate a few corpses after the cackling settles so you can have some near powerful microscopic undead protector then if you mod necromancy so you can speak to your dead you could attempt bogeybody farming but by that point the only thing going to stop you now is Breathe attacks from random demons.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 08:27:35 pm »

[/quote] you can reanimate them also so you can butcher a few then craft bolts (if you have mods) out of their bones, then reanimate a few corpses after the cackling settles so you can have some near powerful microscopic undead protector then if you mod necromancy so you can speak to your dead you could attempt bogeybody farming but by that point the only thing going to stop you now is Breathe attacks from random demons.
[/quote]

How small are they exactly? Miniscule enough for FB's attacks to glance off?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 10:17:36 pm »

you can reanimate them also so you can butcher a few then craft bolts (if you have mods) out of their bones, then reanimate a few corpses after the cackling settles so you can have some near powerful microscopic undead protector then if you mod necromancy so you can speak to your dead you could attempt bogeybody farming but by that point the only thing going to stop you now is Breathe attacks from random demons.
[/quote]

How small are they exactly? Miniscule enough for FB's attacks to glance off?
[/quote] Take a fluffy wambler divide that size by 2 what's how small a bogeyman really is.
their smaller than the thing that you can pick up and put in your pocket.
the same thing that if thrown would kill a bronze colossus has something smaller than that attacking you.
bogeymen if possible in game should mount fluffywamblers and ride them into battle.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6