Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had  (Read 4902 times)

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 03:36:04 pm »

After I realized I could jump (A facepalm in itself right there) I created a human outsider and started in a tree on a hillside. I decided to jump out of the tree instead of walking down the hill. I didn't look below where I jumped...and it was a very steep hill. A little later, with a different adventurer, I found an abandoned dark fortress and I saw a large hole in the ground. I was on the second floor, so I thought it would lead to the lower floor, or the floor under that, I don't know why I suck at looking below me, but that pit was so deep I fell for like 10 real life seconds and hit a cavern floor with a splat.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 03:58:46 pm »

That reminds me of when I was exploring a dwarven ruin. I knew what I was doing when I first jumped down the central shaft, developing my climbing skills while taking the rapid route, grabbing each z-level and dropping to the next. I stopped where the shaft opened to some corridors and explored a bit, picking out choice masterworks stuff. No steel weapons, but good silver.

I returned to the shaft to explore deeper and jumped into it again, forgetting I hadn't stashed away everything in my hands. I don't know which cavern layer I passed before I hit the bottom.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 09:27:08 pm »

I think my entire experience with Adventure mode is one giant facepalm.
Regards,
Dampe

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 09:11:48 am »

Starting in a human civ which only had a dark fortress - surrounded by 10 dark pits.
Speed travel? Well, "you cannot travel until you leave this site"...
Head ---> desk

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 10:47:00 am »

I killed a dragon who had set a lot of stuff in their lair on fire, but I was tough enough that it wasn't an immediate problem... but I forgot that the balm upgrade items are actually plants so when I got done hacking at the dragon I stuck em in my pocket and jumped through the burning stuff to get back outside... and prompty set the grass on fire... what the hell?

You are melting!
You are melting!
You are bleeding!

Uhhh... *checks inventory*

!!Balm of Power!!
!!Balm of Power!!

*facepalm*

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 10:48:45 am »

I was travelling through an evil hill biome with four companions. We come across a river. Stop. Enter an endless fight against an undead eagle and an undead weasel. The eagle was actually killed quite quickly. But no matter how hard the five of us hacked and slashed the weasel, it just refused to die. It basically flew across the map by the force of our strikes and yet, kept always coming back for more. At some point, the weasel was thrown to the river. Everyone jumps into the water and the battle continues.

Fighting undead while swimming in a stream didn't stop two of my companions to have a little chat in the middle of all the hassle.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The weasel still refuses to turn deanimated. I spot some carp in the river and kill them out of frustration. I climbed out of the water to butcher one carp. Then the game pauses for a second.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh sh*t.

Well, at least I knew the weasel got trapped there as well. Damn you weasel.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:51 pm »

I tried to sneak to a giant, but turned a corner right into his line of sight. I then tried to greet him, but before the words escaped my mouth he had taken my weapon away. He was already 1 tick away from a charge, but I didn't know that when I tried to bash his foot with a sharp rock.

When I woke up, my lasher's whip had a name on it.

pjj56

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 06:33:27 am »

Mounted an assault on a necromancer tower - spent about 20 minutes luring all the zombies out, and chopping off their hands and head with an axe (wanted to do this the long way, and this seems to be the only way to kill them with edged weapons :P ). Get to the last zombie having not being hit once, chop off its head, about to cut off its hands, when all of a sudden:

The Human Corpse kicks you in the head, bruising the muscle through the +Bronze helm+!
You are unconscious
The Human Corpse stabs you in the head with the copper boning knife, fracturing the skull through the +Bronze helm+ and tearing the brain!
You are deceased.

I hate zombies.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 05:49:41 pm »

Almost finished raiding a vault with my undead minions effortlessly. Only had 4 zombies left near the end because I thought the vault was easy and did not raise many new ones along the way.

The archangel jumped out.

The Harbinger of Fortress kicked your head with his second leg!
You gave into pain.
You are deceased.

Luckily, I saved beforehand, and brought more undeads this time, fought him for a while and finally slew him silently from behind. Happy. Save game.

Next fight:

Goblin swordmaster: attacking you with bronze long sword
Okay...I'll block it with my brand-new divine metal shield.

Wait, where's my shield?
Wait, where's my left arm?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 06:55:16 pm »

Went into a dark fortress to watch some action between goblins and trolls and decided to participate.
Killed some goblins, chopped down some trolls and received some nasty wounds. One of them left me crippled and without the ability to stand. Heavy bleeding I choose to sleep inside the fortress (face palm moment no.1).
Woke up on top of the tower without any hatch to step down.
Well, I strapped my weapons unto my body and thought to climb down.
Happily stepped into the air, when I finally remembered: Without the ability to stand I can't climb...

14 z-level further down I laid unconscious and mortally wounded while all of my limbs were a bloody mess and the goblins which were running away from their troll buddys stepped over my mangled body, totally unimpressed by my hopes to regain consciousness.
Some times later snow began to fall and, somehow, this was the most impressive symbolic picture I've ever encountered playing DF.
Starring at my char, lying there; starring at the snowflakes; watching me slowly dying.
It took a while.
But it was great.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 07:39:28 pm »

Losing in a fight to one goblin pikeman.
*Sigh*
Regards,
Dampe

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 08:35:00 pm »

Went into a dark fortress to watch some action between goblins and trolls and decided to participate.
Killed some goblins, chopped down some trolls and received some nasty wounds. One of them left me crippled and without the ability to stand. Heavy bleeding I choose to sleep inside the fortress (face palm moment no.1).
Woke up on top of the tower without any hatch to step down.
Well, I strapped my weapons unto my body and thought to climb down.
Happily stepped into the air, when I finally remembered: Without the ability to stand I can't climb...

14 z-level further down I laid unconscious and mortally wounded while all of my limbs were a bloody mess and the goblins which were running away from their troll buddys stepped over my mangled body, totally unimpressed by my hopes to regain consciousness.
Some times later snow began to fall and, somehow, this was the most impressive symbolic picture I've ever encountered playing DF.
Starring at my char, lying there; starring at the snowflakes; watching me slowly dying.
It took a while.
But it was great.

Had the same experience yesterday.

slashed an arm off a goblin in a dark fortress. Waited one hour for him to stop bleeding (to torture him more in).  Woke up laying on the tower top.
Jumped off.
There were lots of goblin around, so it was lagging.
I could enjoy the moment of free-fall. pretty beautiful.

Reported this as a bug.

Fishanchips

• Bay Watcher
  • Look! The cliffs of INSANITY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 06:41:14 pm »

The Lion catches your right hand with its left paw!
The Lion puts your right hand in a joint lock!

"NOOO PLEASE MERCY FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK NOOOOOOO"

The Lion bends your wrist and the part is broken!
You give in to the pain
You have been struck down
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:43:39 pm by Fishanchips »
http://wiki.ss13.co/images/c/c8/ClownandAlien.jpeg

A screeching clown car pulls up to the safe house!
Circus members pour out of it and start throwing pies at the windows!
Pages: 1 [2]