Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: You are Nigel and the Maeshowe Ethics Committee!  (Read 10473 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
You are Nigel and the Maeshowe Ethics Committee!
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:56:45 am »

You are a world folk entrepreneur. Not long out of folk music school, you’ve travelled over several countries and looked at quite a few Wikipedia pages researching the folk music of many and varied cultures, and now you want to form a band and bring the music of the people back to the people. The as yet undeserving (and oppressed) people, but it’s probable that once you get going they’ll quickly recognise your genius for bringing together the traditional musical strands of the world into one harmonious bundle of love.

You are a folk warrior!

You are a musical polymath!

You are… wait. Who are you?

Your name is:
1 – Nigel
2 – Derek
3 – It’s not Nigel or Derek because you’re a woman
4 – Something else

Although your talent is multi-faceted, you would say your leading strength is:
1 – Vocals
2 – Ukulele
3 – Percussion
4 – Something else

You’ve obviously absorbed a lot of influences in your research, but you would describe the current foundation of your artistic world view as:
1 – Mongolian throatwarbling
2 – The Bulgarian accordion tradition
3 – David Bowie
4 – Something else

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:07:44 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: You are a folk warrior!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:21:28 am »

Our name is Nigel, our leading strength is vocals, and the current foundation of our artistic worldview is the death growl.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:23:36 am »

PTW

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:27:23 am »

Our name is Nigel, our leading strength is vocals, and the current foundation of our artistic worldview is the death growl.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:29:17 am »

Your name is:
1 – Nigel
2 – Derek
3 – It’s not Nigel or Derek because you’re a woman
4 – Kakashi

Although your talent is multi-faceted, you would say your leading strength is:
1 – Vocals
2 – Ukulele
3 – Percussion
4 – Something else

You’ve obviously absorbed a lot of influences in your research, but you would describe the current foundation of your artistic world view as:
1 – Mongolian throatwarbling
2 – The Bulgarian accordion tradition
3 – David Bowie
4 – Something else
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
You are a folk warrior!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:14:05 am »

After getting out of bed and pulling on yesterday’s jeans, you’re awake enough to remember that you are called Nigel. Whilst brushing your teeth, you feel that your throat is still slightly sore from practicing your death growl last night – you’d consider yourself an accomplished vocalist, but only a dabbling death growler, for the art of the death growl is both deep and wide. You pause for a moment considering this, disinterestedly examining your beard in the mirror.

You realise that David Bowie probably wouldn’t perform with a beard, but on second thoughts perhaps your sequinned folk trousers make up for it.

Anyway: today’s the day you start the next stage of your band’s musical journey, and one thing a band’s musical journey needs is a band, so you decide to go and have a coffee or something with your potential band members.

But who should you go and discuss the philosophy of folk whilst drinking coffee with?

1 – Derek, your friend who is a budding accordionist and a strict follower of the late nineteenth century Bulgarian accordion tradition.
2 – Terri, your friend who is a hugely talented triangle player and likes to dress up as a man.
3 – Wayne, your friend who is a dabbling multi-instrumentalist and once visited Japan.
4 – Someone else who can play something else and has another simple defining feature.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are Nigel, folk warrior!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:31:23 am »

Let's try Terri first of all.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:20:39 am by Harry Baldman »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:23 am »

4 – Someone else who can play something else and has another simple defining feature.
Quebecca, the Silent Artist. Her last performance had over 45 minutes without coughing or nervous laughter - now that's audience control!
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:21:04 am »

Quebecca, the Silent Artist. Her last performance had over 45 minutes without coughing or nervous laughter - now that's audience control!

Ooh, that's even better. +1!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:22:39 am »

Ooh, that's even better. +1!
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 08:34:11 am »

You finish getting dressed, get your bike out, and ride gently over to Quebecca’s house – she lives with half a dozen other students, and being the longest standing resident has slowly migrated her way up to the loft, which is pretty sweet and spacious compared to the rest of the house. Anyway, she buzzes you in and you walk up, and you’re so full of feverish musical desire that as soon as she opens her door you blurt it out:

”Hey Quebecca, I’m starting a band – for real this time. You wanna join? It’s just gonna be folk, straight up and down. What do you say”

She stares at you, without saying a word, which gets a little uncomfortable after five minutes.

You can’t tell if she’s silent because she’s mad at you what with that one time then back when with that misunderstanding and stuff, or because she’s serious and wants to do this properly and this is her audition, or because you caught her mid-practice, or what.

It occurs to you that if this is her audition, there’s depths to her art that you never knew.

Spoiler: Current Musical Status (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:47:17 am »

Speak through the eyes, Nigel, not through the beard! Commune with Quebecca all soul-like.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:48:52 am »

Speak through the eyes, Nigel, not through the beard! Commune with Quebecca all soul-like.
+1
and growl like the mighty death bear to add backing vocals to her solo.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 11:38:13 am »

As you stand there growing increasingly uncomfortable, it becomes obvious that Quebecca is not just auditioning, but testing you – seeing if you’re actually worth joining!

You stop thinking about your beard as fast as you can and stare deeply into her eyes, and just as you begin to sense a slight tinge of uneasiness, or perhaps readiness, in about the thirteenth or fourteenth minute of your performance, you open your mouth wide and growl like a mighty death bear, adding a tremendous and resonant harmony to her admittedly virtuoso solo.

The combined effect is so exhilarating – and indeed shocking – that three of Quebecca’s housemates rush up from the floors below to see what the matter is. They stand there looking questioningly at Quebecca, and worriedly at you, still roaring, and one steps forward and shouts over your roar to Quebecca.

”What the hell’s going on, Quebs? This guy bothering you?”

Quebecca’s silence is broken, and the face of ecstasy becomes a face of really quite angry broken art.

”For fuck’s sake Paul, I’ve told you before not to bloody interrupt me whilst I’m performing… You’re such a pissing philistine you don’t even know what you broke there, man. That was beautiful. Let’s go, Nigel.”

She shuts the door and pushes past her housemates, and you follow her down the stairs.

”So, who else is in the band, Nigel?”

Spoiler: Current Musical Status (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 11:47:06 am »

Whoever we want and whoever wants us, really. Does Quebs know any cool people who'd be up for it? She's in at the ground floor, so she and we get to make all these interesting decisions.

If she doesn't have any good suggestions, we could try Harun, who plays the cricket bat and also rugby at times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7